94 1.9 Heater control fault - oldnotbold
The 405 with aircon has an electronic heater control. There's a slider on the ventilation control that sets a temp on a rotating control behind the ventilation panel. This is wired to the matrix, I think, where I guess there is a matching electric valve that controls the flow of warm water into the heater matrix.

At present I have permanent warm air through the heater - I can direct it to the screen/cabin etc, but I can't reduce the heat.

Before I remove the entire dash/fascia, has anyone been through this before? My guess is that this system is similar to other models in the PSA Group from that era.
94 1.9 Heater control fault - RichardW
Somewhere there is small cabin temperature sensor - not sure where it is on the 405, but have a feeling it's in the roof console - look for a grille about 20mm in dia. There is a small fan in the sensor to suck the air in over the temp sensor, but it gives up, and leaves the controller lost and it reverts to full heat or full cold. The fan is little brushless DC job, so you can't do anything with it - got to buy a replacement - which isn't cheap. As a short term, you can hang the sensor out of wherever it's hiding which allows it to work sort of.
94 1.9 Heater control fault - oldnotbold
Richard - I'm fairly sure I've found it - it's on the extreme R of the Passenger fascia, in line with a fake wood trim piece, and above and to the R of the glovebox. The fan does rotate, if a little noisily - I'd heard it before and wondered what it was.

The sensor appears to be an electrickery blob painted light blue about 2mm in diameter standing on two thin wire legs, and in the centre of the duct. The fan is behind it, and is about 10-12 mm in diameter.

It looks as though it's a fascia off job to access it, although I might be able to get to it once I have the glovebox off.

In the very short term I'm looking for a fix that will set it to cold only - any thoughts on that? Is it possible to close the inlet valve on the heater matrix by hand?

Edited by oldnotbold on 26/06/2008 at 14:06

94 1.9 Heater control fault - RichardW
That sounds like the sensor - in a Xantia you can remove it through the radio aperture. It should go cold if you put the temp control onto the blue section. If it doesn't then it might not be the sensor: another thought - the air flow over the matrix is controlled by a servo operated flap - It may be that the servo has failed / broken off, and hence you are not getting control anymore. Getting to these will involve delving in behind the glove box no doubt.