1989 1.8 braking problem - bakersdozen
I have a g reg 405,The problem is that when driving if i press the brake they work, but if i lift and press them again the peddle goes hard and i loose braking. I have bled the brakes and checked the servo with a vacuum gauge and it holds vacuum. I haven`t noticed any fluid loss
Please help.
1989 1.8 braking problem - Number_Cruncher
I don't know the vehicle, so the points I make are not vehicle specific.

I would make up a tee piece, and measure the vacuum level at the servo vacuum connection with the engine running, and an assistant working the brakes. The vacuum pump should be able to "keep up".

It's possible that you've either got a weak vacuum pump, or a blocked or obstructed vacuum pipe between the pump and servo. What sort of pipe is fitted?

It's also possible that the atmospheric filter, which is probably in the cabin, where the pushrod enters the servo is blocked.

1989 1.8 braking problem - astrabob
If I remember correctly, the early 405 diesels had a vacuum pump which had to be topped up with a small amount of engine oil. The engine oil helps provide the seal within the pump. These pumps were belt driven from the camshaft.

Later 405s had the vacuum pump mounted directly on the end of the camshaft, with oil provided from the cylinder head.

1989 1.8 braking problem - bakersdozen
Thanks for your advice.
I have found a split in the diaphram of the vacuum pump making the vacuum weak.
Could this cause the brakes to seize as I have noticed the front o/s caliper seems to seize occasionally?
Many Thanks