Tyre fitting - Dougie68
When you get new tyres fitted, do the fitters check the recommended pressure for the car they are working on, or the tyre itself?

Tyre fitting - Number_Cruncher
The fitters *should* check and set the pressures for the vehicle - the values marked on the tyre are absolute maxima for the tyre, whatever vehicle it might be fitted to.

Tyre fitting - Lud
They certainly should check the pressures for the vehicle. But if you care what pressure is in your tyres - most people don't seem to - you will check them yourself soon afterwards and restore them to your favoured pressure.
Tyre fitting - none
All tyre fitters that I know (car and commercial) set the pressures somewhere near average for the particular tyre size and type. It would take a really serious fitter to ask about potential load and speed on leaving the tyre shop.
Tyre fitting - Roly93
Ive never c ome across a tyre fitter which set the correct pressure for my new tyres. The nearest I got was a fitter who asked me what pressure I would like, which is a start I guess.
Tyre fitting - MikeTorque
I've just had 2 new Goodyear Excellence tyres fitted by etyres and the pressures were correct when I checked them. Will checked again tomorrow to check for leaks etc. but each time I've used etyres they've done a good job and are pleasantly mannered as well.
Tyre fitting - doctorchris
What annoys me more is when the car goes in for a service and the dealer's staff alter the tyre pressures from the correct ones printed in the handbook.
Tyre fitters rarely get the pressures right but it must be very difficult for them to find the right data for all the modern cars and their different specifications.
It's a long time since they had a big Michelin tyre chart on the wall to refer to (am I right in thinking at one time these charts were made of enamelled metal, built to last?).
Tyre fitting - NARU
am I right in thinking at one time these charts were made of enamelled metal built to last?).

I think most lasted longer than the cars listed on them!
Tyre fitting - Roly93
What annoys me more is when the car goes in for a service and the
dealer's staff alter the tyre pressures from the correct ones printed in the handbook.

Yeah and in the case of Audi/BMW garages you are paying them £100 an hour to do this !
Tyre fitting - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
it must be very difficult for them to find the right data for all the modern cars

Don't all cars have a little plate inside the driver's door showing the recommended pressures?
Tyre fitting - Dynamic Dave
Don't all cars have a little plate inside the driver's door showing the recommended pressures?

No.
Tyre fitting - jc2
No-it may be in the glovebox or on the fuel filler flap or you may even have to look in the driver's manual.