2001 1.6 Rattling from engine bay - rhona
Hu guys!! names rich and i have a big problem app? when ever i excellerate or push the clutch in a really bad wrattleing noise happens from the engine, and its coming from the back of the engine block it sounds like. I've taken it to a few garages and there telling me that the crank shaft is completely damaged and it needs a engine rebuild or a new engine and said it will cost over £2000.

Be greatful if you could help me out on this on! cheers rich

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/06/2008 at 14:06

2001 1.6 Rattling from engine bay - Screwloose
Rich

What do they say is the damage to the crankshaft? Have you ever had the oil light coming on? The Zetec S ia notorious for burning oil due to a running-in error and I've seen a few need new engines because they were run dry.

They can't be rebuilt; so a new short block is the only option.
2001 1.6 Rattling from engine bay - rhona
It sometijmes flicks on but very rarely... but since ive driven it its never been on to tell me that its low only the last week or two? ford garage said he thinks it wud be the bottom of the crankshaft? and last night driving home car kept conking out on me with battery light n oil light coming on!!!!worst thing is ive still got a loan on it aswell
2001 1.6 Rattling from engine bay - Screwloose
rhona

No easy way to say this; but if you've let the oil get so low that the warning light comes on, then you've ruined your own engine. That's not a level light it's a "Aargh! No oil pressure!" light. The dipstick must be checked at least weekly.

The only way out of this is a new, or good second-hand, engine. Sorry.

Don't continue to drive it; it will suffer catastrophic failure and will then be useless as an exchange unit, incurring even more cost.]