No money at petrol station..what happens? - steveo3002
when i purchased fuel today there was some woman going around asking to lend money claiming the attendant in the garage would let her go without paying

surley if you go in and explain they must have a procedure for people that genuinely forget their money/credit card

Edited by Pugugly on 12/06/2008 at 19:31

no money at petrol station..what happens? - BobbyG
Yip they do, the supermarkets have "Inability to Pay forms" which are completed with all necessary details and captured on CCTV. Not sure about independents, I can see why they would be loathed to let you go.

Having said that, if you were wanting to steal it you would just drive off? Akthough with that they would alert the police I suppose straight away.

Eating out and fuel, probably the only two commodities that you can take first and pay after!
no money at petrol station..what happens? - billy25
When this once happened to me ;-) I had to leave my name and address, my watch (£100), and the front off my cd/radio sound system (£450) as security against a measly £20 petrol! - good job I only lived about 10miles away and not 100.

Billy
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Pugugly
I did his (foolishly) in a Tesco filling station filled up the Landie and did the pat down - no wallet. Filled out a form and had to call back the next day. No security nothing, nice people - legally it sits sort of halfway between criminal and civil. If you fill up knowing you have no cash is more towards criminal, doing the pat down and going "doh" is more civil.

Edited by Pugugly on 11/06/2008 at 21:51

no money at petrol station..what happens? - Westpig
many garages don't accept the genuine ones, because they've been had over too many times by the 'slippery'.

What is irritating to the Old Bill is when an obviously genuine case is virtually automatically reported by the garage as a 'drive out' and furthermore they don't bother ringing back to cancel it. Wastes a lot of time and can cause the car to be stopped at a later time for checks etc.

no money at petrol station..what happens? - steveo3002
its not like you can put the petrol back is it

no money at petrol station..what happens? - Bill Payer
my watch (£100)

I worked in a garage many years ago while at college and we were told not to take stuff off people, particularly watches as one had broken while in the care of a garage and they'd been forced to get it fixed. I didn't really believe the story then, but I can well imagine it happening these days!

What was pretty common, in the days of 50p gallons, and us actually serving the fuel, was people coming in as asking for, say, £4 then swearing blind they'd said 4 gallons and they only has £2 on them.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - nortones2
What makes you think she had a car? Sounds scammy to me:)
I think I would have given her a chance at my word game viz:

Re-arrange these words to form a well known phrase.

Off, Bog and Right.
she did have a car..as i went to pay she was swearing at the attendant and then got in some ropey old car car and sped off

cant see what the fuss was about...she obviously tried to explain that she couldnt pay, but i never heard what was said
no money at petrol station..what happens? - oldnotbold
"as i went to pay she was swearing at the attendant"

Which is not exactly the behaviour to adopt if you are trying to win friends.......

no money at petrol station..what happens? - AlastairW
Sort of happened to me once. I was mugged 250 miles from home, leaving me with quarter of a tank of fuel to get home with and no means to pay for more. Three independent garages refused to serve me (I asked before putting fuel in, out of politeness) but finally a Shell station supplied my needs. I of course paid promptly by post once at home, and try to use Shell stations whenever possible to this day.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - daveym
I've done it recently. Pay day fell on a sunday so I thought we got the money through on Friday (as has been the case in past employment.) Card was declined and I'd paid £43 filling up my Ka during lunch (how depressing it costs that much) and my boss had to bail me out - the shame! Shell garage concerned was rather harsh and gave me an hour to find a solution, but did at least let me leave my licence as ID and drive back to work.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - wotspur
I did this once at tesco's -Addlestone, filled up my wifes car, with £45 worth, a long time ago, as it was near empty !! doohh where's my wallet -went in explained the situation, filled out a form and drove off.
Later that afternoon, went and filled up my car -between them 120 litres, and paid for them together and used the 5p off a litre voucher -cushtie
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Fullchat
I'll have to hold my hand up to this one as it happened recently. Out for a spin on the bike. Filled her up and then Dooohh!
Went in and apologetically explained what had happened. They asked me to leave my mobile phone and name and address and were happy. Revisited the next day and paid my dues.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Welliesorter
Happened to me a couple of years ago. I was asked to leave something as security and I left my phone. It was only £8 as I stopped filling as soon as I realised I was walletless. Luckily, I was only four miles from home. I have to confess to preferring pay-at-the-pump stations where this can't happen.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - welshlad
this happened to me just this sunday gone. i went to the petrol station knowing full well it had a cash machine on the forecourt. not thinking and knowing i had the money in my account i filled up and detoured to the cash machine on the way to the tills.....yep you guessed it the ATM wasnt giving out any cash.

all i had to do was fill out a form then go to the nearest ATM and get the cash and return and pay for the petrol (i had 7 days but just wanted to get it sorted)
no money at petrol station..what happens? - grumpyscot
sq
Could you not have used your card in the petrol station to pay for the fuel then? I would be very surprised if the garage didn't have electronic means of payment, and if your card will let you draw money from an ATM, then it shoud let you pay for fuel at the counter.

Edited by Pugugly on 12/06/2008 at 08:25

no money at petrol station..what happens? - drbe
Going back to the original post.

If the woman was asking to lend money - why didn't you take it?
haha ok then asking to borrow money

she never asked me becuase i looklike a tramp and was driving a £100 polo lol

i dont know why we dont change to the american way of paying first ...would stop all the drive aways and bother

surley stealing petrol at the moment has got to be one of the easiest things to get away with if you use a fake number plate
no money at petrol station..what happens? - bintang
I have found myself without wherewithal only once in 56 years of petrol consumption, not long back, at a Shell station. Giving name, address and phone no. was enough pro tem.

But my local Caltex garage have a notice to the effect that they will retain one's car till paid, which could involve a forecourt scuffle...
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Bromptonaut
Going back to the original post.
If the woman was asking to lend money - why didn't you take it?

Some English dialects (eg parts of Yorkshire or Lancashire) use lend instead of borrow.

"Can I lend your bike Bromp?"
Some English dialects (eg parts of Yorkshire or Lancashire) use lend instead of borrow.
"Can I lend your bike Bromp?"

What do they say when they are offering to 'lend' you a car?
no money at petrol station..what happens? - kithmo
>> Some English dialects (eg parts of Yorkshire or Lancashire) use lend instead of borrow. >> >> "Can I lend your bike Bromp?" >> What do they say when they are offering to 'lend' you a car?

Dus tha wanna borra mi ca

no money at petrol station..what happens? - Cliff Pope
>>
>>

That's what happened with Northern Rock. A simple north/south translation mistake. We haven't really lent it all those billions at all, in fact the money is pouring back into the treasury.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - welshlad
no my ATM card is just that an ATM card
no money at petrol station..what happens? - thebrightonion

You could have used your card to pay at the till. If you're lonely you'll just have to go back to xxxxxxxxxxxx. Havn't you got a pair of Welsh wellies?

Edited by Honestjohn on 20/05/2010 at 14:32

no money at petrol station..what happens? - Dynamic Dave

You could have used your card to pay at the till. If you're lonely you'll just have to go back to xxxxxxxxxxxx. Havn't you got a pair of Welsh wellies?

brightonion? More like a dim tomato, IMHO.

Edited by Honestjohn on 20/05/2010 at 14:32

no money at petrol station..what happens? - DP
I have to confess to preferring pay-at-the-pump stations where this can't happen.

True, but if you drive anything other than a supermini, filling your tank can't happen either. There's a £60 limit on all of them around my way - about £15 short of what's needed to brim the Volvo from a fuel light on state.

As for the OPs question, SWMBO did it once, and was asked to fill out a form, prove her ID, and was given 24 hrs to return and pay.

She asked what would happen if she had no ID on her, and was told "You'd be walking from here". Any dispute / argument whatsoever, they simply call the police.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 12/06/2008 at 10:02

no money at petrol station..what happens? - Dipstick
"There's a £60 limit on all of them around my way - about £15 short of what's needed to brim the Volvo from a fuel light on state."

That was true until recently here too, but we now have new ones in the local Tesco that have an £80 limit. You also now have to enter your pin before fuel is delivered, so it's a tiny bit slower. I expect all Tescos will update soon, so others will probably follow.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Clanger
I'll have to hold my hand up to this one as it happened recently. Out
for a spin on the bike. Filled her up and ... Revisited the next day and paid my
dues.

Identical experience except I am known to the garage owners as the cars go there for MoTs and I get 2-stroke fuel mixed there for the garden equipment. Cue much leg-pulling and me telling them that if I was going to stick it to them with a drive off, I would have put £90 of diesel in the C8 rather than £20 of petrol in the bike. Very amicable.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Roly93
What makes you think she had a car? Sounds scammy to me:)

>>
We get a few people begging in fuel stations in the rougher parts of Reading sometimes.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - pendulum
I nearly did it once: I filled up to a grand total of 14 pennies worth! Early one morning I squeazed the handle just as I remembered that I hadn't picked up my wallet. I had 14p in loose change in the car, but it was still embarrassing, as there are signs saying "Minimum delivery 2 litres", but they let me off with that. I went back and filled up properly 5 minutes later and I'm always more careful now.

Edited by pendulum on 12/06/2008 at 10:25

no money at petrol station..what happens? - Alby Back
I once managed to drive to Northern Ireland from Cheshire to do a weeks work without taking my wallet. Fortunately the hotel knew me and agreed to forward the bill to my home for rertrospective payment. This still left me with fuel and other incidental expenses. Again I was very fortunate in that a customer of mine kindly loaned me some cash to tide me over. I had initially discovered the situation on the ferry when attempting to buy a coffee. Not a good feeling. Now I always "hide" a spare credit card in the car. Just as well really, as only last year I set off to drive to Italy in the same condition but was saved by my secret flexible friend !
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Ian (Cape Town)
Our local paper has a front page report today on the marked increase in 'drive outs' in recent weeks, including petrol attendants being injured as they try to stop the miscreants.

no money at petrol station..what happens? - Galaxy
Every since I first started spending money on things as a child, one of my "secret" fears has always been going into a shop to buy something and, either not having any money to pay for it or, not having enough money to pay for it. It's still a fear to this day, too, I don't really know why.

As it happens, I've never, to date, gone into a petrol station and found I haven't any money on me to pay. I have a religious checking system before filling up, wallet in pocket, money and/or cards in wallet, and absolute certainty that I'm using the correct filler from the pump. I never deviate from this system and, to date, it's never let me down.

Additionally I do carry money hidden in the car, but nothing like the amount required to buy a tankfull of fuel. I can't even remember how much I carry hidden in the car, it's so long since I've been to the area where it's hidden, but it's probably soemthing like £20; it's all in coins for long livety!

no money at petrol station..what happens? - rogue-trooper
Happened to me - filled up £20 before realising that I might not have my wallet. Went in and explained but they weren't too chuffed. Said that I could call my wife who could give card details over telephone but they refused that (any idea why?).

Filled out a form which was basically a drive off one/no intention to pay and was told to come back the next day.

Fortunately was next to a warehouse I use and borrowed £20 off one of the workers.

Felt that they were all a little too inflexible but I guess that they have a lot of people who have no intention of paying and scam them.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - james86
>>Said that I could call my wife who could give card details over telephone but they refused that (any idea why?).

The ability to process a cardholder not present transaction (which that would be even though you're there!) is not something that all credit card merchants have. Banks will not grant that right to high risk places, which petrol stations are due to the amount of fraud. I suspect rather than them being awkward they simply couldn't have processed it
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Big Bad Dave
What's surprising is how many backroomers have done this. What a bunch of scatter brains!

For the last four years I have been using unmanned pumps so it's impossible to fill up without pre-paying. However I lent my debit card to my wife recently and pulled up at the pumps to find she hadn't put it back in my wallet. I do carry credit cards but rarely use them and don't know the PIN numbers so I had to return to base which was mildly irritating to say the least since I have to make a specially journey to this station.
Actually one the funnier variations on filling station forgetfulness ( in hindsight anyway ) was an incident which happened to some good friends many years ago. My Scottish pal and his then very new French wife set off one Friday night to drive from their home in London to visit his parents in Edinburgh. They stopped for a loo / fuel break at Leicester services. He gets back in the car completely forgetting that he has his new wife with him and carries on up the road alone. After a long evening and night of sheer panic all round ( pre mobile phone era ) the resourceful girl turns up safely in Edinburgh having used a combination of taxis, an aeroplane and their joint bank account to get herself to her destination. Ooooh that cost him in so many ways ! ;-)
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Mchenry
I recently suffered a mental 'black hole' and could not for the life of me remember the pin number. I was close to home and had to ring for the good lady to come out with her card. However I would go through the embarassment of the incident a hundred times rather than face the domestic authorities again after having been woken and forced to go out at 5.30 on their day off.
I wonder what the official answer would be from the various fuel giants.

Scenario - you have filled up your car with fuel and you realise that you have left your cards/money at home.

There is no one at home, nor anyone else that you can turn to. Home is, say, 15 miles away. Would they let you drive away to go home to get your cards/money?
no money at petrol station..what happens? - SlidingPillar
I presume Pugugly can confirm, but I don't think they actually have any right to hold your car. I for one would just go and get payment, the chances these days of being stopped are slight. Most police can tell a rogue from a 'doh' so I'd not worry. And as someone had said, if you had the intention of paying, is the law not different?
no money at petrol station..what happens? - apm
I've never done this- always pat myself down before starting to put the fuel in. I'm a little OCD about making sure I have my wallet, keys, phone etc.

On a related topic, I filled the car last night on way to guitar lesson (red light on, not enough to get to my destination). Fair queue for that time of night, out nearly into the road. Generally, people were being sensible, lining up behind a rank of pumps, rather than selfishly waiting at the forecourt entrance for the next one to come up. What I found surprising and always do is that people leave their car at the pump before queueing to pay. I have always, when the station is busy, moved my car to the parking area (where available & there is one at this station) to let someone else start fuelling & reduce the queue. In the 15 minutes or so I was there, no-one else did this. Am I the only one? Is there something wrong with doing this? You sometimes get a bit of a look from the attendant, but they are always ok when they realise what I'm doing!

Be interested to hear what y'all think.

Edited by Webmaster on 12/06/2008 at 14:42

no money at petrol station..what happens? - mk124
It is against petol station policy to offer credit to you - so theortically you should siphon the petrol back out of your tank and everything should be fine.

The petrol stations obvously feel the above is impractical and they offer a credit facility in unusall circumstances.
If you and they accept the terms and conditions for the petrol/credit transaction (say returning in 24 hours) the police should not be involved at all.

The problem comes when you remove some of their property that they still own - the petrol station has not supplied you with the petrol at that point. The station thus has a right to get the police involved if you drive off without paying if they have not provided you with a loan faclility.

If you can't come to an agreement on the short term loan, the solution must be to siphon your tank, give them back the petrol in buckets. Thus the garage can't say you have taken anything away from them and the police won't get involved either.

The petrol station have no right to hold your car - but they have the right to the petrol in it.

no money at petrol station..what happens? - Niallster
In US you pay before you fill and virtually all pumps are either credit/debit cards if unmanned (a surprising number are manned).

This has always struck me as eminently sensible.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - L'escargot
In US you pay before you fill ........

What happens if you pay for more than will go in the tank?
no money at petrol station..what happens? - John F
>> In US you pay before you fill ........
What happens if you pay for more than will go in the tank?

Tough. I remember in New York this worked really well - no interminable wait at busy petrol stations with queues at the tills - it's about time they were more widespread here.

Wouldn't need the ludicrous expense of preventing 'driveoffs'.

Was caught out once [in sardinia, I think] by unmanned petrol station/hire car needing to be brimmed. Pump just stops and keeps the change!
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Snakey
Being lucky in that I still use a local 'village' type of petrol station, I've managed to simply ask that they wait until I return with the money.

I've done that twice in the last ten years and have always gone back within the hour.

Makes me feel quite nostalgic! I remember when driving was fun and every village had their own little petrol station (well, sort of)
My father used to pay his petrol bill once a month. The attendant would simply make a note in a book of his purchases and he would pop in at the end of the month to settle up.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - FotheringtonThomas
theortically you
should siphon the petrol back out of your tank and everything should be fine.

No it wouldn't be fine - they'd have some of your petrol in with theirs, and you would still have some of theirs.

The petrol stations obvously feel the above is impractical and they offer a credit facility
in unusall circumstances.
If you and they accept the terms and conditions for the petrol/credit transaction (say returning
in 24 hours) the police should not be involved at all.

The police should not be involved in any case, if you don't try to steal petrol.

The petrol station have no right to hold your car - but they have the
right to the petrol in it.

Not AFAIK.
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Lud
Stranded overnight in Cairo without money in the 70s, I went to see the British Consul, a bearded bloke, to borrow a fiver. It was like getting blood out of a stone. After musing for a while about a fund he had for 'distressed British dependants' - the half-Egyptian children of departed Brits for the most part - he finally parted with a personal loan of an Egyptian fiver, smaller than the sterling one I had requested, telling me scornfully that when he was travelling he always kept a $100 bill sewn into the lining of his clothes for such emergencies. I didn't bother to tell him that if I had ever had a spare hundred bucks in my clothes I would have spent it by now.

The fiver paid for a cheap hotel room and breakfast. In the evening I was befriended by two Copts, a civil servant and a grocer who were cousins, nice chaps who took me to a huge theatre with fat old belly dancers on stage and gave me a smoke of hashish. Cairo was very nice then in a rundown sort of way.

Back in London I thought it worthwhile to pay the fiver back, fearing that an unpaid debt might catch up with me at some future awkward moment. Spent at least an hour and a half haunting the very grand corridors and staircases of the Foreign Office before I could find someone to accept a fiver (sterling) and give me a receipt for it.

Just ask for the British Consul. He or she may give you a hard time, but will reluctantly help in the end.... :o}
no money at petrol station..what happens? - Marc
I always pat down before filling up to ensure I have my wallet. I also pat down when leaving the house.
I'm sure our forum friends with law enforcement knowledge will be able to confirm or deny whether this is an urban myth but I was once told something interesting about this.
Apparently, "professional" pickpockets stake out locations where people "pat down" such as when entering shops / filling stations or airports / railway stations. Tells them which pocket to pick.
The most extreme example I was given is that where there is a sign saying something like "Beware Pickpockets". The subliminal automatic reaction is to check that you still have your wallet. Thief only has to stand near the sign for a while to select a suitable victim.

Horrible world sometimes eh ?
Druggies Substance misusers do it as well when locked on by Cops. An Officer of my (professional) acquaintance uses it to bump up his Stop/Search stats when he's struggling.