Lower speeds more efficient. - FotheringtonThomas
Well, we knew that. There's a fairly entertaining write-up in "What Car?":

www.whatcar.co.uk/news-special-report.aspx?NA=2331...0

The most efficient speed seems to be below 40MPH for many, if not most, cars.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/06/2008 at 17:51

Lower speeds more efficient. - gmac
I'm guessing the expert consultant is one of the Governments guru's who doesn't actually own or run a car.

"What the results did show was that, basically, the slower you're going in top gear, the more miles per gallon you're doing."
Not true in my car, 30mph in fourth = 68mpg in fifth 56mpg.

"It's all down to wind resistance - the greater the wind drag, the more work the engine has to do, so barrel along at 100mph rather than 50mph and your engine will use roughly five times the fuel."
My car gets 21.5mpg at 100mph so according to this article a Volvo D5 should get over 100mpg at 50mph ?

I always thought a car gave best mpg returns at peak torque ?
Lower speeds more efficient. - qxman {p}
My car gets 21.5mpg at 100mph so according to this article a Volvo D5 should
get over 100mpg at 50mph ?

That's a bit mixed up. Aerodynamic drag is not the ONLY form of drag, if it was then what you say would be correct.

The 'government consultant' may or may not own a car, but he does know his basic physics and has given a very rough approximation of what happens. No surprises, its just basic physics. Big variations on what happens in real life because vehicles vary so much in frontal area, mechanical drag effects etc, but it isn't far wrong.
Lower speeds more efficient. - gmac
No surprises its just basic physics. Big variations on what happens in real life because >> vehicles vary so much in frontal area mechanical drag effects etc but it isn't far wrong.

Basic physics, frontal area, multiple forms of drag etc... I have yet to drive a petrol or diesel car that consumes anywhere near five times the fuel at 100mph as what it consumes at 50mph.
Maybe this guy has a V12 on his driveway that gives 5mpg and 25mpg respectively ? :)
Lower speeds more efficient. - moonshine {P}
I always thought a car gave best mpg returns at peak torque ?

>>

No. An engine may be able to burn fuel most effieciently at peak torque (in terms of power produced vs fuel used) but will not give the best MPG.
Lower speeds more efficient. - ForumNeedsModerating
No. An engine may be able to burn fuel most effieciently at peak torque (in terms of power produced vs fuel used) but will not give the best MPG.

But surely if that peak (power-torque) efficiency coincides with a nice low-drag speed of 40-50mph it will? Not that I can think of many cars that do at that low speed mind you!

It seems both high & low speeds can be a drag - in slighlty different ways of course...
Lower speeds more efficient. - moonshine {P}
But surely if that peak (power-torque) efficiency coincides with a nice low-drag speed of 40-50mph
it will? Not that I can think of many cars that do at that low
speed mind you!
It seems both high & low speeds can be a drag - in slighlty different
ways of course...

>>

Hmmm, this has got me thinking...

To be honest - I dont know. Anyone got any ideas?
Um. Did I contravene some rule about posting URLs?
So I did. Apologies.

{Now sorted - removed clickable link}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/06/2008 at 17:52

Lower speeds more efficient. - tyro
What interests me is that when this sort of study is carried out by some organisation, and the graphs are plotted, they always show that the faster one goes, the more fuel one uses.

(At least, I assume that this is what the graph on the "What Car" website shows, because the resolution is so low that it is completely unreadable!)

However, there are individuals who will claim that this is not true with their car (see, for example www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=63...6 ). Yet I have never seen any official study which acknowledges that this is a possibility. The graphs always show the same thing.

I find this puzzling. Is the existence of the "sweet spot" an urban myth?

Lower speeds more efficient. - Lud
The most efficient speed seems to be below 40MPH for many if not most cars.

Utter garbage of course. Only a person without the smallest degree of mechanical sense could believe that of any car made after 1960, and few enough made in the decade before that.

Of course there are many such people driving about in cars, as we see every day.
Utter garbage of course.

Why?
Only a person without the smallest degree of mechanical sense could
believe that of any car made after 1960 (...)

Oh dear ;)
Why?

Others can give you a better explanation than me. But I suggest you try not exceeding 40 on your next journey of over ten or fifteen miles, and then try the same journey not exceeding 60, driving in both cases in a light-footed 'economical' manner without going to economy run extremes (e.g. changing into top at 15 mph and then driving at full throttle to 35 before turning the engine off and coasting back down to 15 mph, or I think it was something like that).

Of course it would be very easy to make cars which were more efficient at a mimse. It's just that most of them aren't like that at the moment, thank goodness. I would hate to think crawling carphounds were getting any encouragement from the industry as well as the ghastly politicos and safety wonks.
I'm an electronics engineer (rather than mechanical) but I've done enough mechanical engineering and physics to know that lower speeds SHOULD be more efficient.
Aerodynamic drag (which is the main form of drag on a car at cruising speeds) scales as the CUBE of the velocity. So a car going 50mph might need 10kW to overcome aerodynamic drag, but at 100mph it would need 80kW to overcome the drag - the power requirement rises massively.
There are also other drag effects (e.g. fluids in the engine and transmission, bearings), and I suspect that they would scale in a similar way. I can't think of any drag factor which would have an inverse relationship with speed....
Obviously torque and power curves come into play (gearing) but the effect would be relatively small.
I know there are some people who find their car more economical at 90mph than at 50mph, but these are the same cars that can stop four times fast than anyone elses etc etc. (As Mr Scott said, "Ye cannae change the laws of physics").

Most of the fuel you use goes into acceleration. Once up to steady speed the power requirement is much lower. A constant low speed (in appropriate gear) should give best economy.
Lower speeds more efficient. - Hamsafar
I think we have to balance fuel efficient with time efficient and capacity efficient. Time is money, and productive people can offset the extra fuel used. Also, if you reduce the speed on a main arterial road which is at near capacity (as most are) the feeder roads get jammed (as we have seen since the NSL was unofficially all but abolished)
Aerodynamic drag only starts to become significant over about 55mph with an ordinary, non-brick-shaped vehicle. The high gearing of modern Euroboxes makes it difficult to drive them in top gear without labouring the engine at these very low speeds, especially up any sort of incline. Driving them in lower gears prevents labouring and enables a light foot to be used, but they will still use more petrol.

On the road, I often see these mimsing drivers applying their brakes downhill to avoid exceeding some pre-set speed, and then having to press the loud pedal quite hard to labour up the hill opposite (and often forcing others to do the same). This isn't just aesthetically offensive and obstructive to other traffic, it is heavier than these people think on fuel.

After driving for nearly 50 years, I have concluded that the most economical driving is light-footed, elegant and a bit quicker than most people usually go except on motorways or fast dual carriageways. French A roads often return astonishing mpg figures when you aren't in a hurry.

The elegance is very important because you need thought and anticipation to maintain it. Alas, there are many who wouldn't recognise elegance if it surged up wearing a Vivienne Westwood creation and bit them in the bum.
Aerodynamic drag only starts to become significant over about 55mph with an ordinary non-brick-shaped vehicle.
The high gearing of modern Euroboxes makes it difficult to drive them in top gear
without labouring the engine at these very low speeds especially up any sort of incline.
Driving them in lower gears prevents labouring and enables a light foot to be used
but they will still use more petrol.

Doing a few calcs (and asuming CD~0.33) suggests that aerodynamic drag is about 50% of total drag at 50mph. It will still be significant at 40mph. Think about driving in the car when there is a 40mph crosswind - you really feel it. These are not insignificant effects.
Most cars should be able to pull 40mph in top gear comfortably.
Not saying that people SHOULD drive at these speeds, but they are likely to get good MPG.

Basically for good MPG on the open road you need good aerodynamics. For good MPG in town you need to reduce mass (weight).
Lower speeds more efficient. - Glacier
I have concluded that the most economical driving is light-footed elegant and a bit >> quicker than most people usually go except on motorways or fast dual
carriageways. French A roads often return astonishing mpg figures when you aren't >> in a hurry.

The elegance is very important because you need thought and anticipation to
maintain it. Alas there are many who wouldn't recognise elegance if it surged up
wearing a Vivienne Westwood creation and bit them in the bum.

That's the finest thing I've heard today.

(it is only 8am though)
Lower speeds more efficient. - Hugh Watt
It does trouble me though that Lud (of whom we are not worthy) can associate V Westwood with elegance. I'd have thought, say, the recently departed YSL would have been more within his frame of cultural reference...
Like biting someone in the buttock, wearing Vivienne Westwood creations is noticeable rather than elegant. I thought people would recognise that.

Speed up Eddie... :o}
Lower speeds more efficient. - Hugh Watt
..ouch!
But no offence Eddie... :o}
Lower speeds more efficient. - ForumNeedsModerating
The danger with these simplistic & dogmatic one-size-fits-all nostrums, as in the WhatCar 'revelations' about driving more slowly in higher gear, is that is exactly how the vast majority of the mechanically illiterate will behave. I could imagine many will interpret 'get into a high gear ASAP' as 'ignore commonsense & labour the engine' , with the 'max. mpg @ 40' as 'crawl up any incline & lose speed'.

As Lud points out - light-footed anticipatory driving with an engine spinning between its bhp/torque peaks often yields best (least) consumption. The WhatCar piece can't be faulted on the basic physics, but it made far too little of the 'art' of driving. Lud rightly uses the term 'elegant', not in reference to graceful hand/foot/eye movements & co-ordination (although that could be a factor..!) but in the application of efficient movement through a crowded car-scape.

Mind you, for me, WhatCar has a very mundane & unromantic view of 'motoring' - almost like it should be done through gritted teeth & with the sour expression of someone taking a foul medicine.
a very mundane & unromantic view of 'motoring' -
almost like it should be done through gritted teeth & with the sour expression of
someone taking a foul medicine.

A fine description of the way a lot of people drive woodbines. I do wish there was better public transport so the poor darlings didn't have to do it and get in one's way.
Lower speeds more efficient. - George Porge
Light on the throttle, antisipation of delays aheads (lights, trafic crossings etc) and the minimal use of the brakes (lose your inertia and you're back on the throttle again).

A wide open throttle at 30MPH in sixth would use more fuel than a partially opened throttle in fifth because the engine would be outside its power band
Lower speeds more efficient. - rtj70
Light on the throttle, antisipation of delays aheads"

"It still astonishes me how many people drive at speed (and even accelerate) towards red traffic lights and then having to break. Instead of lifting off the accelerator and slowing which might even mean you do not need to completely stop. It's the same when approaching stop/give-way lines too with you thinking they're not going to be able to stop.

Edited by rtj70 on 11/06/2008 at 16:38

Others can give you a better explanation than me.

I doubt it, unless it's a similarly fallacious one.
Enjoy the odd fallacy do you FT? So do I, so do I.

:o}
Lower speeds more efficient. - movilogo
The most efficient speed seems to be below 40MPH for many, if not most, cars.

We need something like "Driving right violation" similar to "Human right violation".
Lower speeds more efficient. - SlidingPillar
About 55 mph seems to be most economical for my landrover (don't all laugh). It's just below the torque peak of the engine, before the aerodynamics of a garden shed come much into play.

40 - would be a gear lower.
Lower speeds more efficient. - b308
The Times had an article on it as well (perhaps the same source?) and hidden among the headline 20mph/100mpg were the two key points:

- Smooth progress (ie constant speed if possible) gave the best results

and

- Use the correct gear for the speed you are travelling at, though it did generalise a bit there.

Cor, Wow!
Lower speeds more efficient. - Snakey
Even if we agree 40mph is the most efficient speed (which I doubt!) then what does it actually mean? Are we all going to sit on the motorway at 40 to complete our 300 mile drive?

Its all relative to the real environment you're in. If I have a clear motorway in front of me, I might cruise at 80. Usually I end up at 50-60 anyway.

Imagine doing 40 mph with an empty motorway stretching out in front of you....
Lower speeds more efficient. - boxsterboy
Even if we agree 40mph is the most efficient speed (which I doubt!) then what
does it actually mean? Are we all going to sit on the motorway at 40
to complete our 300 mile drive?

Please, please, please, don't give this government any ideas about future motorway speed limits!!!
Lower speeds more efficient. - L'escargot
I would think the most economical condition is a combination of the highest gear practicable together with the smallest possible throttle opening.
Lower speeds more efficient. - Number_Cruncher
>>smallest possible throttle opening.

That's certainly not correct for a petrol engine, where one of the causes of inefficiency is the pumping work done against inlet manifold vacuum.

It's quite true that drag power goes up with speed, and so, less fuel is wasted to drag at low speeds.

To clarify, aerodynamic drag force is proportional to speed squared, which makes the power required to overcome aerodynamic drag proportional to speed cubed.

Yes, there is a sweet spot in an engine's performance map - typically minimum consumption occurs at about 70% load, and at speeds close to the engine's peak torque point. To exploit this fully, a CVT gearbox is required. The CVT should allow the engine to rev to peak power to obtain the best acceleration, and should then seek the minimum fuel consumption range during cruise.

With a manual gearbox, the ability to take advatage of the optimal engine operating point is much limited, and keeping cruising engine speeds at or below the speed for peak torque is probably not a bad start.

Lower speeds more efficient. - L'escargot
I think some people are talking about maximum engine efficiency and others are talking about maximum fuel economy. I rather think the two are not achieved under the same conditions.

Edited by L'escargot on 12/06/2008 at 17:39

I rather think the two are not achieved under the same conditions.

That's definitely true in most circumstances when you have a gearbox with discrete ratios.

Lower speeds more efficient. - GroovyMucker
It would be useful if manufacturers would give details of their engines' mpgs at given speeds, say in 10 mph increments. I bet they know this info.
Lower speeds more efficient. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My 2l Hyundai's maximum torque is at ,to me a highish and noisy, 4500rpm. I rarely rev it that hard and manage to achieve at least the combined mpg of 35.3. Maybe it would be more efficient but I bet less economical, as has been already said.

Lower speeds more efficient. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
In the "good old days" the weekly Motor magazine used to publish a fuel consumption graph for top and 3rd gear. We were lucky if we had 4 speeds then- remember the Ford 100E.
IIRC the mpg was reckoned to be best at 50 ish mph.
Figure 2.4 on this page

www.agen.ufl.edu/~tburks/Handouts/CH2_Performance%...f

helps to make the jump between engine characteristics and vehicle economy.

It's quite a busy graph, so, I'll try to explain it bit by bit.

Along the x axis is engine speed, with engine torque on the y - in this respect, it's a standard torque curve, with the engine's maximum output being represented by the line towards the top of the graph, dropping off steeply at 2400 rpm (the low engine speeds sugges that this must be a commercial vehicle engine)

The solid contours are contours of equal brake specific fuel consumption, with the minimum probably at about 80% load, and 1500rpm.

The dotted lines are lines of constant power.

When you are travelling at constant speed, you need a set amount of power to overcome drag in all its forms, so, each of those dotted lines representing power could, for a specific vehicle be re-labelled as different speeds.

For reasonable speeds, there may be a number of possible gear ratios. These gear ratios at a given vehicle speed will give a known engine rpm, and therefore a known intersection with a BSFC contour.

As an example, if the vehicle is doing a speed which needs 25kW, and the engine is doing 1350 rpm, then, changing up a gear is likely to produce worse fuel economy. Whereas if the engine were doing 2100 rpm, then changing up would bring the engine, and vehicle into a more economic region.

The problem is that these performance maps are not routinely made available. Perhaps they should be made available?

Lower speeds more efficient. - Sofa Spud
Certain factors like wind resistance, rolling resistance and frictional losses in the driveline do rise with speed and have an adverse effect on economy. Engine performance characteristcs vis a vis revs and gearing are not so diectlyrelated to roadspeed. But I'd guess that nearly all cars are more economical at 45 mph in 4th gear than at 75 mph in 5th or 6th gear.
Lower speeds more efficient. - daveym
My Ka seems to do ~30mpg on the daily short runs to and from work (up a steep hill) and ~40mpg on a run no matter how I drive it!
Lower speeds more efficient. - oilrag
I`m surprised the Axiam 500 doesn`t get more MPG. Something seems wrong. Is it the rubber bands that sap the power? Or would a Kubota powered stationary cement mixer really be more economically powered by a Toyota Aygo petrol engine?

Lower speeds more efficient. - kiss (keep it simple)
If you want efficiency, design the engine for a particular cruising speed, like marine diesels are. Motorists are a fickle bunch; some go fast, others pootle off down to the shops. The car has to be able to do all these things so the engine is a compromise. If you don't want to mess about, get one of these people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/
Lower speeds more efficient. - tyro
Coming back to the original post, and the graph in the "What Car?" report, something struck me.

At 40 mph, there is a large divergence in fuel economy between the most and least economical cars. By 100 mph, it doesn't make much difference.

The same appears, at least to some extent, to be the case if one looks at the graphs on this page:
www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05/fuel_consumptio.h...l

Is this true, or am I imagining things?

Edited by tyro on 12/06/2008 at 23:41

Without looking at the graph, I would say the moral seems to be that one should get a fast thirsty car and drive it at 100. Only wish I could afford it.
Is this true or am I imagining things?

It seems to be dependant on the car - looking at the two BMWs they stay virtually the same distance appart - I'd expect the Zafira to get considerably worse the higher speed you go, being large and brick like... also engine size and gearing will come into play - they higher speed on smaller engines/cars will mean they are revving nearer their limit, whereas the 5 series are just cruising at 100.

Another way of looking at it would be by using the %ge difference at each speed rather than the actual mpg figure - I feel that would be a more acurate indication of the difference - one for Number Cruncher!
Lower speeds more efficient. - nortones2
Looked up the Motor 1966 summary page: there is no doubt that the relationship of fuel used to speed is pretty linear between 30 mph and 70, and where the vehicle has a higher performance. The only exception to a normal curve (in the tests each the fuel consumption was shown grahically at speeds up to 100 where feasible ) was the Rover BRM gas turbine: in 10 mph increments from 30: 25mpg; 30; 30; 28; 26 @70 Quite impressive as only the Riley Kestrel and a few others got above 30 mpg @ 70, and they didn't run on Esso Blue:)
Looked up the Motor 1966 summary page:

Now that would be an interesting read - is there anywhere its published on the web?

The summary every 10 years would prove an interesting comparison as well...

Edited by b308 on 13/06/2008 at 12:21

Lower speeds more efficient. - nortones2
Hard copy, I'm afraid. Haven't seen an archive.
Shame!