2.0 TDI Diesel 2004 (103kw) - Cambelt or Chain? - p2b
Hi

I have the above car and was under the impression that is chain driven. However, I have just had a reminder from my local dealership to look into getting the cambelt replaced? Can anyone tell me if my car actually has a cambelt or where I can find out this information. The VW garages don't seem very sure.

Thanks
P2b
2.0 TDI Diesel 2004 (103kw) - Cambelt or Chain? - Screwloose
p2b

If that's a twin-cam BKD engine; then it's a belt. Due on time alone [4 years.] Also needs all the guides, tensioners and a water pump.

The engine code should be on a sticker inside the front cover of the service book.
Many thanks for your prompt reply.

The code on the sticker reads BKD GRF - does this mean it has a belt then?

Are all 2.0 litre diesels belt driven then? Because I was lead to believe that they were now chain driven when I purchased the vehicle three years ago?

Also when you have mentioned the guides, water pump etc... do you mean these need to be replaced as well. The car has done 50,000 miles.

many many thanks
p2b

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/06/2008 at 19:57

2.0 TDI Diesel 2004 (103kw) - Cambelt or Chain? - Screwloose

Yes; that confirms it - it's a BKD with a belt. [As are the other 2.0 Golf V diesels.]

The garage would likely change all those items anyway; but it's worth just checking first
Thanks again

Not what I wanted to hear but I am very grateful you have taken the time to reply. Very useful info indeed.