Computer Related Questions - Volume 155 [Readonly] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 156 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 155. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/06/2008 at 14:38

Fotherington's IE6 browser Q from CRQ 154 - - jbif
>> 1. Check you are using latest version of flash.

>>No crashing on other sites...

It is a well known problem with some versions of flash and "some" sites. Supposed to have been solved with the current version 9.0.124
fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/...e
>> 2. Upgrade to IE7.
No thanks. I do not want to use this product, it's got too many fingers in too many pies.

Do tell more. IE7 is a much improved product with no more fingers in any pies than IE6. It is freely available. With the free independently supplied IE7Pro plug-in, it is my preferred default browser for most web sites. [current versions of Firefox 2 and 3beta, which I use on sites where IE7 won't work, all hang on my various computers after an hour or so of use].

Edited by jbif on 06/06/2008 at 14:10

Fotherington's IE6 browser Q from CRQ 154 - - FotheringtonThomas
>> >> 2. Upgrade to IE7.
>> No thanks. I do not want to use this product it's got too many
fingers in too many pies.
Do tell more.

It does things to security settings, e.g. preventing things running from network drives.
Fotherington's IE6 browser Q from CRQ 154 - - jbif
It does things to security settings, e.g. preventing things running from network drives.

Okay.
Not in reply to you, but for general information, IE7 technical issues and solutions are listed here: www.ie-vista.com/kbase3.html

Transferring address book & Contacts - Armitage Shanks {p}
A major disaster on my laptop meant that it had be to be cleaned up and programmes reloaded. Many thanks BTW to those who helped me reconfigure my router! Is it possible to transfer all my e mail contacts from my desktop to my lap top without buying a transfer cable? I think I managed it once when the lapttop was new, about 18 months ago, but I can't recall how. I use AOL as my ISP.
Transferring address book & Contacts - BazzaBear {P}
Got anything along the lines of a USB drive?

Or do you know how to copy a file from one computer to the other?

Either way, you can save your contacts as a file, which you can then use on the other computer. Just use the 'import and export' function from the Outlook menu.
Thank you BB. By some miracle, during the set up, the address book has now transferred itself and the problem is over! Thank you for your input though!
Transferring address book & Contacts - Stuartli
If, by any chance, you ever do need to backup your e-mails and address book at some time in the future, here's a straightforward guide:

www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml
Thank you Stuart. So far as I can see, like so many really good things, this does not work with AOL!
Transferring address book & Contacts - billy25
There is a slightly long- winded way with AOL, go to add/remove programs on desktop comp, select AOL uninstall, it will ask if you want to save your PFC (personal filing cabinet), select yes and it will dump it on your desktop. copy this to disk and transfer it to its AOL file on the laptop, then reinstall AOL on the desktop and re-insert the "saved pfc" back into its original folder, but deleting the "new pfc file" that was created by the reinstall.
Told you it was long0winded but it works!!!

Billy
Windows Service Pack 3 - drbe
I have just downloaded and installed Windows service Pack 3.

I have searched hard, but I cannot find a 'Refresh' button. Should there be one - can anyone tell me?
Windows Service Pack 3 - drbe
I have found it. It's to the right of the address bar.

Now that I've found it, is it possible to move it?

I should have mentioned that my download included IE7.

Edited by drbe on 10/06/2008 at 19:29

Windows Service Pack 3 - Stuartli
Key in Toolbars into IE's Help menu and select "changing appearance of">click on Display button.

Microsoft always offers a thoroughly comprehensive Help section for all its programs and applications.

there's also Help and Support from Start.
Windows Service Pack 3 - Dynamic Dave
I have searched hard but I cannot find a 'Refresh' button.

Function key 'F5' works as a refresh button.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/06/2008 at 20:15

Windows Service Pack 3 - jbif
Function key 'F5' works as a refresh button.

Note that Ctrl + F5 does a "hard" refresh [it clears the cache].
blogs.tech-recipes.com/shamanstears/category/keybo.../

Two features I find useful in IE7 are
1. the zoom function in the bottom right hand corner
2. the "enable personalized favorites menu" setting [from tools>internet-options>advanced]. This "hides" your less frequently used links until you hover the mouse in the menu for a little longer.

IE7 guides:
www.lancs.ac.uk/iss/ie7/
www.easycomputertips.com/article-startusinginterne...l

Install the free independently supplied IE7pro add-on www.ie7pro.com/ [approved by Microsoft]. Among the many features it adds is the ability to make your own short-cut keys.
It also has a spell checker built in. I use it and find it is worthwhile add-on.
If your browser crashes, IE7pro allows you to re-open all or selected pages that were open when you had the crash.

Other IE7 add-ons
www.windowsmarketplace.com/category.aspx?bcatid=35...0
drbe did find the Refresh button shortly afterwards.
Windows Service Pack 3 - L'escargot
I get automatic updates. Will SP3 be installed automatically?
Windows Service Pack 3 - jbif

Should do, and most will have got it by now.

Alternatively, you can force update by doing a manual check for updates or downloading the full SP3 file and installing that.

Your current SP status will be visible from: Start> right-click My Computer > properties

Also, see my reply to your other question below.
Windows Service Pack 3 - Victorbox

If you visit Windows Update & do an Express scan it will offer you Service Pack 3 but not install it automatically - you have to agree to it. It will also offer a separate button to scan for other updates if you choose not to install Service Pack 3 at this time.
Windows Service Pack 3 - malteser
I've been running SP3 final BETA, with no problems. Is it worth installing SP3 FINAL?
Should I remove the beta before installing the final?
I don't get update offers to the final with the beta installed, but I guess if I scrapped the beta and then went to Microsoft update it would offer it - anyone know?
Thanks.
Do a System Restore point with an appropriate file name and then Uninstall SP3 Beta from Add/Remove Programs (I downloaded SP3 Final and saved it/burned to a CD-R first), followed by a defrag.

Now install SP3 Final and then, again, do a defrag; you will be surprised just how much/what is fragmented in some cases.

You just might have one or two problems with drivers (may need to reinstall) although, in fact, I've installed and uninstalled SP3 Betas and Final three times without any arising; the system is running as smoothly as before.

It's also worth doing a post SP3 Final install System Restore point.
Outlook 2007 Vanished Email Folder - Baskerville
A colleague is moving her email from an account on an Exchange server to IMAP (gmail) as her company is migrating. Both accounts operate within Outlook 2007 running on Windows XP. She has encountered a problem. Folders dragged from the original email account to the IMAP account initially appear in the IMAP account section in Outlook 2007, but then they vanish along with all the contents. There is no error message. Anyone know a) why, and b) where the mail has gone? I can't believe it's actually gone completely--that would be ridiculous--but she says she can't find it.

Many thanks--not an Outlook user, so it's a mystery to me.
Outlook 2007 Vanished Email Folder - billy25
>>not an Outlook user<< either!

but why not try renaming the folder that she is trying to move first (to something she recognises) then move it, and if it does the "disappearing"act again, use the "find files and folders" option to see where it has gone, and retrieve it from there?

Billy
Outlook 2007 Vanished Email Folder - Baskerville
Thanks Billy. The problem is she has already dragged and dropped a folder from one account to another, assuming naturally enough that it would either copy everything across or fail with an error message. It seems to have done neither.
Windows Update 'undefined' - L'escargot
I've just tried to check what Windows Updates I've got, but the page says "undefined". What's gone wrong?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/06/2008 at 13:26

Windows Update 'undefined' - jbif
I've just tried to check what Windows Updates I've got but the page says "undefined". What's gone wrong?

More details please. How/where did you check?

You can check the status of your PC by installing and running this Microsoft tool:
description: technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/cc184924.aspx
download: technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/cc184923.aspx

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/06/2008 at 13:26

More details please. How/where did you check?

Start > Help and Support > Keep your computer up-to-date with Windows Update
Start > Help and Support > Keep your computer up-to-date with Windows Update

In which case, see if this solution applies. It is by "Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP, Windows Desktop Experience" [mvp = Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs) are exceptional technical community leaders .... ]
windowsxp.mvps.org/helpwulink.htm

Thanks, jbif. I get exactly what Ramesh's site describes. I'll see if I can rectify matters by following his suggestions.
I've looked at the instructions and got cold feet because of my low level of computer literacy.

The instructions say ........

Register the system libraries as follows:
Execute these commands from Start, Run dialog

regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 jscript
regsvr32 /i mshtml

Do I just type in the commands and click on OK for each command?
What risk will I be taking of something going horribly wrong and which I won't be able to rectify?

Sorry to be such a wimp!

Edited by L'escargot on 11/06/2008 at 16:14

1. >> I've looked at the instructions and got cold feet

Ramesh says "...disable third-party script blockers if installed any. Note that some anti-virus and firewall software have script-blocking function .."
Have you first checked that it is not your firewall and/or security software that is blocking scripts?

2. >> Do I just type in the commands and click on OK for each command? What risk will I be taking of something going horribly wrong and which I won't be able to rectify?

To run the commands, either type them in or copy/paste them and press OK.
To undo them, insert "/u" as per example below:

regsvr32 /u /i mshtml

3. If that still gives you cold feet, try the MBSA tool I referred to earlier, or try using the menu in your IE browser? : Tools>Windows Update

Have you first checked that it is not your firewall and/or security software that is
blocking scripts?

I looked at both my firewall (ZoneAlarm) and my antivirus/antispyware (Webroot Spy Sweeper with Antivirus) and couldn't see anything about script blocking.
.......... try using the menu in your IE browser? : Tools>Windows Update

Fortunately that gives me Windows Update OK.

Thanks again, jbif. I've decided for the time being to leave my pc well alone (I said I was a wimp!) and in future access Windows Update via Tools>Windows Update. Phew!

However, as belt and braces, I've copied and saved your posts in case I ever need them in the future.

Edited by L'escargot on 11/06/2008 at 17:43

webcam screen saver - geoffken
Would like to have a screen saver as a web cam shot.I.e. Webcam from Courchevel tourist office looking up the mountain.
How do i get it /set it up so that it updates automatically when computer is on.
Thanks in anticipation.

webcam screen saver - VR6
Don't know the answer to your question, but I have a web cam set up as my desktop background. (Control Panel>Display>Desktop>Customise Desktop>Web>New>then enter the web address of the webcam>OK>Apply) Job done. You should see the webpage appear as your desktop in a small window. Hovering the mouse near the top of the new window on your desktop allows you to minimise / maximise. Hope this is of some use!
Refrigerated processor/battery for laptops? - colinh
Just received a mailshot from local electrical supermarket advertising a LG laptop with liquid refrigeration of the processor and battery. Seems to be a standard Intel Core 2 Duo 2x2.4 GHz with 3GB memory and 15.4" screen. Is this now common? Seems OTT. Price about 650 GBP

{moves to correct part of thread, as per the "please note" message}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/06/2008 at 01:42

Refrigerated processor/battery for laptops? - Citroënian {P}
Liquid cooling has been around a while, can't say I've seen it on a laptop (I've not looked mind), can see that it would work though.

Refrigerated processor/battery for laptops? - Stuartli
>>Seems OTT>>

Probably is, although laptops do get hot and, with the dual core processors, even more so.

Not much room for air to circulate in a laptop...:-)
Generating Random Text in Microsoft Word - drbe
The Rick Maybury column in today's Telegraph has a piece about generating random text.

Apart from not being able to think of a (practical) use for this facility, can any one point me toward a list of little known commands in Word?

The example Rick Maybury gives is type =rand() which I can't get to work!
Generating Random Text in Microsoft Word - ifithelps
The example Rick Maybury gives is type =rand() which I can't get to work!

You need a number in the brackets - apologies if you already knew this.

Random text is used in laying out pages in magazines, newspapers.

A dummy or mock-up page just doesn't look the same with 'text in here' and a load of white space.

Equally, the space for headline will be filled in.

I once saw a copy of the Daily Express with 'headline,headline, headline' printed where the headline should have been.

A production error meant the mock-up headline made its way into print.

That's another reason to use 'proper' random text - if it does get published by mistake, there's no danger of any swear words, libelous terms etc, seeing the light of day.
Generating Random Text in Microsoft Word - drbe
>> The example Rick Maybury gives is type =rand() which I can't get to work!
>>
You need a number in the brackets - >>

Thanks ifithelps.
I have now done a little more research of my own. The Autocorrect 'correct text as you type' must be checked.

Word - Tools - Auto correct - correct text as you type.
Generating Random Text in Microsoft Word - jbif
... That's another reason to use 'proper' random text -

Here is a [note - may be NSFW] text generator that is being used to post ready made replies to debates on the BBC forums.

tinyurl.com/5f4hbg

Press the "new" button to generate some new text.

[ source of this story
www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/10/have_your_say/ and
www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/12/bbc_o_tron/ ]

;-) Regretfully it can't produce output for motoring forums ? :-(

Generating Random Text in Microsoft Word - Another John H
Random text is used in laying out pages in magazines newspapers.

you might find something like this as placeholder text:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

www.lipsum.com/

Any Bright Idea's? - thewildrover
I am unable to get my son's Dell Laptop running on XP to connect to the internet. A wireless connection exists and is working (he can chat on Windows Live Messenger)

I've completed a full system scan using Norton Internet which didn't find any problems. I've downloaded and installed Firefox to use instead of IE7, but still get the 'this page cannot be displayed' message. I have checked all the settings on the internet options page and they are identical to my works laptop.

Has anyone out there got any bright idea's on what the problem could be or where I should look for a solution as I have run out of idea's.

Edited by thewildrover on 15/06/2008 at 16:48

Any Bright Idea's? - kennybase
Is the wireless router being used a Belkin?

Reason I ask is cause I had exactly the same with my Belkin. After speaking with their tech support, they got me to upgrade the firmware on the router, and it then worked!
Another thing to check is the DNS settings for the laptop - they talked me through that originally, and it worked, but I have to say I wasn't convinced it was a great solution!

Other things to check are that Norton hasn't blocked the internet explorer somehow.
Any Bright Idea's? - thewildrover
Thanks for your input. It's a D-Link router and I updated the firmware a few weeks ago. As the other computers haven't had a problem I'm not sure this is the problem.

I can't seem to find any DNS settings to change, and having looked at a couple of sites through a google search I'm none the wiser, and looking at one site I may not be alowed to edit the settings anyway.

Any more idea's anyone?
snipquote!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/06/2008 at 22:07

Any Bright Idea's? - billy25
Couple of things you might try:

Change the router channel, they are sometimes on 11 (N.America) by default, sometimes changing to no 6 or 1 can help.

turn off the router firewall, especially if you are running one on the laptop already, or try it vice-versa.

and finally, strange that it may be, try to access internet and when error page shows shut down your browser, then re-boot the router, and try again. (i have a friend who can only connect to AOL using this method!)

Billy

P.S
get rid of Norton!!! - avoid AVG 8 for a while, and dont use Zonealarm security suite - the latter two have a few "bugs" at the moment, although Zonealarm free standalone firewall is ok.

Edited by billy25 on 16/06/2008 at 01:56

Any Bright Idea's? - Dynamic Dave
avoid AVG 8 for a while - have a few "bugs"

Been using it for a while now with no problems that I am aware of. What "bugs"?
Any Bright Idea's? - billy25
I've always been a "fan" of AVG Antivirus, and have always recommended it, or installed it as preference on "other peoples" machines, however, as I run 98, version 8 isnt compatible, so i've had to switch to Avira, so my views aren't based on personal problems with my machine.
Just lately i've had a lot (well few!) folk who have down-loaded AVG8 who's machines have started playing up,(some of these folks machines have seemed "bombproof" for years beforehand) many of them freezing, losing internet connectivety both "wired" and "wirelessly", some that cant install it at all.
All I can say is if it works for you and you are happy, then use it, but I still think they've a bit of "tweakin" yet to do.
I think at this moment in time there is better out there.

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2277384,00.asp

Billy
Any Bright Idea's? - jbif
What "bugs"?

re. AVG antivirus - Don't know of any bugs for users, but it is causing a headache for web traffic monitors:

www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/avg_scanner_skews.../

Any Bright Idea's? - charlesb
You say he can chat on Windows Live Messenger - Is this on the Laptop? If it is, then you certainly have an internet connection, the question is now why is only Messenger working?

Next course of action - completely remove Norton Internet and see if this resolves the issue

Any Bright Idea's? - Stuartli
If you do remove Norton (apart from Ghost I wouldn't have it on my system!) then don't forget the Norton Removal Tool to finish off with:

tinyurl.com/6oq8f
Any Bright Idea's? - L'escargot
....... Norton (apart from Ghost I wouldn't have it on my system!)

Before you install Norton Ghost just make sure that your computer's CD/DVD drive is compatible with it. Mine isn't, and I didn't find out until after I'd bought Norton Ghost because there was no information about it on the packaging. It was £40 down the drain.
Any Bright Idea's? - Stuartli
>>..make sure that your computer's CD/DVD drive is compatible..>>

See:

tinyurl.com/475ec2
Any Bright Idea's? - jbif
after I'd bought Norton Ghost because there was no information about it on the packaging. It was £40 down the drain.

You can make salvage some value from it - go buy a second hard drive which are very good value now:
www.ebuyer.com/cat/Hard-Drives/subcat/3.5%22-IDE-D...s
[Buy a bigger drive if you are filling up your current one.]

Various options, but I will suggest just this one:
Install the new drive as a slave.
Then do a ghost image "Disk to Disk" which will give you a clone of the original. Now you can switch to use the new bigger drive as the main one, test that it works OK.

With the old original drive, you can now wipe it clean, reformat it, and use it to store your ghost images. For example, you could make monthly "disk to image" files; keep just the last 3 months files deleting older images as you make new ones every month. That way you will always have a backup to restore your computer to a point of your choice from the the 3 previous images you have kept.

Hard drives are so cheap now that, for my "bread & butter" PC, I now keep a 3rd drive. One which is in use, one to store backup ghost images, and one with a working clone based on the last image I had taken. I make a ghost image on a weekly basis. I adopted this method since a hard disk failed completely on my PC for the first time ever a few months ago.

Morrison's Supermarket - Labtec wireless Kbd&mouse - Falkirk Bairn
Even if you do not need the keyboard the mouse is magic.

How much? - £9.xx call it £10.00

Tremendous value
Morrison's Supermarket - Labtec wireless Kbd&mouse - SpamCan61 {P}
oooh top tip FB; SWMBO works for Morrisons so we get another 10% off that, and I need a new keyboard anyway :-). Any idea of the battery life on the mouse? We have to cordles smice in the spamcan household, a Dell one where the two AAAs last 9 -12 monmths and a 'PC Line' one where they last about 3 weeks :-(.

Morrison's Supermarket - Labtec wireless Kbd&mouse - drbe
I gave up on wireless keyboard & mouse, because the batteries were forever going flat.

To my untrained eye, I couldn't tell whether it was the kb or the mouse which had gone flat, so I gave up and bought a wired kb and wired mouse from the nice man at ClickIt at the Halfway, Hersham.
Morrison's Supermarket - Labtec wireless Kbd&mouse - Stuartli
>>To my untrained eye,>>

The eyes won't come into it much - either the mouse or the keyboard stops working (rare for both to go together, flat batteries wise).
Unwanted Dating Service - bintang
I have BT broadband linked somehow with Yahoo. The latter requires me to re-login every two weeks or so. At this point (not normally) a Dating icon apears in the toolbar. The first time I saw this I clicked on it, hoping there would be a way of deleting it. There wasn't, but now I get dozens of sex-industry spam messages a week. The systems diverts most of them to a Bulk folder which auto-deletes after a large number accumulate but there are a couple or so of business messages I need mixed in. How can I stop the spam? The call centre's only suggestion was to send each message to Blocked Senders but this would take hours every week.
Unwanted Dating Service - charlesb
You've unfortunately gotten yourself onto a mailing list. There is almost no escape from this.

This isn't necessarily linked to you clicking on the icon in the toolbar. My Father-in-Law never got any spam until he signed up to TalkTalk Broadband, whereupon he now gets tonnes of Spam.

The reason you need to login into Yahoo is strange. BT use Yahoo email for their services, even though your email address is btinternet or btopenworld or whatever

Anyway. Back to your problem. Yahoo email Spam filter is quite poor. I also frequently have genuine emails in the Spam, and no amount of clicking "not Spam" seems to cure the problem.

That by the way is one solution. To click not-spam on each message in your bulk folder which is not Spam, but this is very time consuming.

If you have Yahoo Mail, then you should also have 5 email addresses. You can login to your Bt Yahoo Account and create a new email address. Use this for your Business Messages, and inform All your business contacts of the new address.

i.e. keep your work email separate and never use it for signing up to anything on the internet.

Secondly, you could have Ad/SpyWare on your system. Windows Defender is a free option from Microsoft, but there are others (which I haven't used, but are the same if not better). They should remove the spamware

Lastly, if you have a Website Domain, your email address is freely available if you've used it to signup. This is a big source of spam, also the Catchall Address for any domain is normally forwarded to an email address you specify. Change the contact email addresses for the domain to one which you can access, (it has to be valid) but which won't interfere with your regular email and disable the catchall address.

Very general advice here. Unfortunately, there are unscrupulous businesses ready to sell your email address on, so it's almost impossible to completely remove spam unless you only use your email address for correspondence with contacts.

Hope this helps
Charles
Unwanted Dating Service - jbif
How can I stop the spam? The call centre's only suggestion was to send each message to Blocked Senders but this would take hours every week.

My guess is that the spam is nothing to do with BT, Yahoo, or the fact that you clicked a dating icon.

It is just that either your email address has been "harvested" somehow or it is an easy one for random address generators [ these try out millions of combinations and when mail does not get rejected, the address is kept on the database as an active working one which is then passed on to other spammers ].

The solution I use for filtering out legit email from the spam is to have different email addresses dedicated to different functions. If your address contains a common suffix [eg. as used by hotmail or yahoo or bt or aol] then it is best to make your prefix to that address a difficult one to generate by the auto-spambots. So for example instead of bintang@youremailisp.com you would have b1nt4n9business@youremailisp.com and b1nt4n9friends@youremailisp.com and b1nt4n9forums@youremailisp.com and b1nt4n9dating@youremailisp.com.

Your other problem, although you do not say it is a problem, is the toolbar. If you do not want it, there are probably solutions on the internet on how to get rid of it.

Unwanted Dating Service - bintang
Many thanks for this and other helpful comments
Who makes the best external hard drives? - tyro
My wife wants an external hard drive (at least 150 gb). Who seems to make the best ones these days?
Who makes the best external hard drives? - Citroënian {P}
I've a couple of USB powered Western Digital drives that work well in both the PC and Macs.

If it's staying in the same place, a powered drive will give you more capacity for your £ - I use Lacie for this and they just do the job (famous last words.....

Have also got an old Maxtor 300Gb drive that is firewire and USB; cost an arm and a leg a few years back but that is still working fine.

Think drives are like cars these days, there's not much to split them in terms of reliability.

Thanks for that.

(I was looking at ebay item 190228821265. It's in the USA, but I don't suppose their are any compatability problems. I guess that I would have to look into customs charges if we bought it.)
Who makes the best external hard drives? - Citroënian {P}
tyro,

I reckon by the time you pay the postage costs, customs charges and handling fees you might as well just go for a UK based company. One of my WD drives is

www.ebuyer.com/product/141559

That'd do the job for you, but it might be cheaper elsewhere or you may get extra capacity for the same price.

hth

Edited by Citroënian {P} on 17/06/2008 at 14:08

p.s. not looking at that item any more. She'd really prefer at least 200 gb.
Lee

That looks fine - and I see that they do them in 250 and 320.

I know so little about this subject that when I saw the words "Retail My Passport Essential" I thought "Hmmm. Problem there. I don't have this 'Retail My passport' thing, and I see that it is essential!"

(A quick bit of research showed that I had got the wrong end of the stick.)

Who makes the best external hard drives? - SpamCan61 {P}
The 320Gb is just under 60 quid inc. P&P from Amazon. i've had the 250Gb version for a couple of years, no problems.

www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Essential-500GB-E...1
Who makes the best external hard drives? - Stuartli
My Seagate One Touch 400GB external drive cost just over £53 from Dabs - latest versions now up to 500GB and more.

Compact and easy to use. See: www.twenga.co.uk/offer/0188258417.html for illustration.

Edited by Stuartli on 17/06/2008 at 17:43

vista file sharing - billy25
Afternoon folks,
Question for "Vista Techies".
just had a chap phone up who is a self-confessed "Tinkerer", and although he is a vwry nice chappie, he is one that I try ;-) to avoid visiting, because he keeps me stuck there for "years" ;-) and it's my substitute Friday night ouit!!!

Problem:
he says he's set up a network between his desktop computer and his laptop, both comps can "see" each other, and he can acess both desktops. However, when he tries to open any files on either via the other, he gets the "access denied, you dont have permission" messages. Yesterday I sent him a link to a site that took him through setting it up step by step, and although he says he's done all that, he still gets the message.
Has anyone got any ideas that i can either email him, or at least tell him about over the phone? please, because i dont really want to go down there tonight or at all if i can help it!

Thanks muchly

Billy
vista file sharing - Another John H
have look here:

tinyurl.com/s9x66

no guarantees.
vista file sharing - jbif
Yesterday I sent him a link to a site that took him through setting it up step by step

It would have helped to know what link it was, so that efforts would not be duplicated.

If the steps here don't solve it, then I am afraid I can't be of any further help.
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037(TechNet.10).aspx
Usually, the "set network location" setting shown under figure 4 [ w.r.t. "private" network ] do the trick.

vista file sharing - billy25
Hi Chaps,
thanks for the replies and links, the one i sent as it happens was the one provided by John H! = great minds think alike ;-)

However, the gods smiled on me! - i called in this lunchtime to find that he has totally blitzed his machine and was busy reloading everything from scratch, because he thought something might of been interfering with it. He was just stuck on one problem, although he could get internet via ethernet, he couldnt connect wirelessly, so i showed him how to turn on the laptop wlan, whereby i discovered that he has three wireless networks set up in the house, one for each computer he has. I suggested that he needed only one, and could use that for all three, but he said he needed two at least because his wife often went online at the same time. with that, i bade him good-luck and managed to escape in a record time of 23mins!!!

cheers chaps, thanks

Billy

using ID3 tags to generate folder stucture - SpamCan61 {P}
afternoon all.

I wondered if anyone was aware of a usable ( preferably free / cheap) programme to turn a folder containing about 2000 WMA and MP3 files in a flat structure into a more orderly structure where files are stored in a \\aritst\album\ folders, based on the info. in the ID3 tags.

I've Googled of course but I get drowned in hits, most of which don't seem to do what I want :-/
using ID3 tags to generate folder stucture - Stuartli
Something on the lines of MediaMonkey?

www.filehippo.com/download_mediamonkey/
using ID3 tags to generate folder stucture - Glacier
Media monkey is by far the best - I organised about 300gb of music very easily into artist/album folders and it renamed all the files too.

Shame it's not ported to Ubuntu.
using ID3 tags to generate folder stucture - SpamCan61 {P}
Thanks Stu & Glacier, just had a quick play with mediamonkey and it does the job a treat!
Read Only Files - bintang
How can I convert Read Only files to ordinary ones? I make my back-ups on the built-in CD drive of my computer but they become Read Only so can't be edited or even, it seems, be sent elsewhere on the computer.
Read Only Files - Stuartli
See:

tinyurl.com/574opb (first posting).
Read Only Files - bintang
Excellent, thank you
Primary Master Disk Not Found - stackman
When I tried to boot up my pc last night it would not boot and gave the message that it could not find the primary master or slave disks and requested that I insert a boot disk in the floppy drive.

Does this mean that my hard disk is dead or could it be a loose wire or something ?

I am quite happy to get the back off and have a look inside but would appreciate some opinions before I start tinkering.

The machine is about 5 years old, running windows XP home edition SP2.
Primary Master Disk Not Found - SpamCan61 {P}
It does indeed sound like your hard disk has gone to the great server farm in the sky, but first I'd unplug any USB devices / memory cards or anything else that cloud be confusing the PC on bootup. In the old days forgetting to take a floppy out of the drive was the common way of getting this sort of error message.

It is indeed worth checking the ribbon cables connecting the hard drive to the motherboard, although it is unlikely this has worked loose.
Primary Master Disk Not Found - crunch_time
It could be worth checking you haven't left a disk in the floppy drive which is confusing it at bootup.

Not receiving file attachments - Happy Blue!
Our computer at home receives file attachments absolutely fine, unless sent from my computer in my office, in which case the message arrives sans attachment. Why? and how can I get the home computer to display the attachement.
Not receiving file attachments - rtj70
Might the email gateways be stripping out attachments?
Internet Explorer problem - PhilW
When visiting HJ site I keep getting the message "Internet Explore has encountered a problem and must close down" -which it does. Doesn't seem to occur on any other site, and yes, I have installed the latest flash player etc as advised above - any suggestions?
Windows XP- automatic updates, Zone Alarm, AVG, Adaware etc all updated regularly. Same on my laptop (also XP etc)
Hope I can post this before it does it again.
Any suggestions??
Thanks

Edited by PhilW on 18/06/2008 at 19:47

Internet Explorer problem - jbif
Any suggestions??

1. Try to track down the fault: Start > right-click My Computer > Manage > System tools > Event Viewer > Internet Explorer
The fault codes may be listed there.

2. Have you installed all the XP updates [sp3 was released last month plus this month further updates to IE have been released.

3. If all else fails, how about trying the latest version of Opera browser [free]? I.M.O. it is better than Firefox v2, or even v3 which was released just yesterday.
www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/12/opera_95_release_.../
I have been trialling Opera 9.5 on one PC for a week and am impressed by its features and speed.

Internet Explorer problem - jbif
addendum:
2a. If this applies to your PC, ensure you have latest version of Java SE
www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

[ alternatively update via Java in Control Panel ]

Edited by jbif on 19/06/2008 at 00:11

Internet Explorer problem - PhilW
Thanks jbif - will give it a go and let you know
Phil

Edited by PhilW on 19/06/2008 at 00:24

IE6 crashes using this site. - FotheringtonThomas
This is really, really irritating. IE6 crashes with some sort of issue apparently in flash9f.ocx "add on". It does not do this on any other sites I visit. Why is it doing this here? Not a good advert, IMO.

It's all very well to say "Use Firefox!" or "Upgrade to IE7.x!", but the thing ruddy well *should*work. You wouldn't be very happy if every time you went down a particular street all your wheels fell off, would you!

So.
IE6 crashes using this site. - kennybase
Have you tried reinstalling/upgrading the version of Flash on the machine? Google search for Flash and I think that will take you to the Adobe website for Flash.

I think I had a similar problem which was solved like this!

Good luck!
IE6 crashes using this site. - rtj70
Same problem here I think. Occasionally but not always getting a crash.

And if it does not work on IE6 then I'll not be back until fixed. Not going to IE7 or Firefox.
And it just crashed on my laptop too (away from home) so I have two machines affected.

Since the likes of Flash is a programming language/environment too I wonder if an advert is to blame? It does not always happen but the adverts embedded are random.

For the benefit of those using Google's indexing the problem is related: XP, IE6 (Internet Explorer 6) and possibly Flash.
IE6 crashes using this site. - jbif
And if it does not work on IE6 then I'll not be back until fixed. Not going to IE7 or Firefox.

Try Opera v9.5 then. www.opera.com/

Unless for some obscure reason you are stuck with old tech IE6. ;-)

Note that most people who have found this problem seem to have resolved it with security updates to XP, Flash and Java.

IE6 crashes using this site. - Baskerville
It's all very well to say "Use Firefox!" or "Upgrade to IE7.x!" but the thing
ruddy well *should*work. You wouldn't be very happy if every time you went down a
particular street all your wheels fell off would you

No, but few people would choose to drive 400 miles on a motorway in a Morris Minor if they had a modern car available. That, essentially, is what you're doing. And that's fine as long as you don't expect to get your destination on time or in a fit state.
What a load of rubbish, Baskerville. IE7 was released less than two years ago. It should still be OK - this is generally true, & HJ's site is the only one where IE6 has very significant problems, IME. The issue is not with IE6 - it's with something coded here.

Edited by Webmaster on 28/06/2008 at 00:55

Exactly FT! The site has a problem to look into. Have already said we might put up with it for a bit longer but new users (nor me) might not forever. And then where does HJ's advert revenue come from?

Someone technical can fix this.
I re-open this to say sorry, Baskerville, I was not trying to be rude. When it's late and I've had numerous browser crashes and a few glasses of stuff, frustration becomes evident!

Quite why my other word was asterisked out, I don't know. It's a perfectly proper word.

we'll be the judge of what is classed as a "perfectly proper word" or not. It was in the swearfilter so therefore it obviously wasn't. This isn't open to discussion, btw.

Edited by Webmaster on 28/06/2008 at 00:57

That's ok, I'd had a few myself. I don't understand the objection to upgrading though, unless you are still using Windows 98 or ME [shudder]. In what way is IE6 better than the many great modern alternatives (and don't say you happen to like crash gearboxes and drum brakes all round)?
The objection to "upgrading" is that there is something wrong with something on this site that causes the browser to crash, that ought to be fixed. A rattly engine isn't fixed by using thicker oil, the cheap pattern parts that someone installed are dealt with!
Baskerville, you're missing the point I think.

The majority of users of the Internet are probably using IE6 without problem for all sorts of contents and will continue to do so for a while. To say we're using a Morris Minor is silly to be honest. There are very strict standards for web pages and the likes of Flash should work if we're upto date on Flash.

To use your analogy, basically some adverts on this site are based on Ford Model T technology. Some of us might put up with it (not all visits hence random adverts are an issue) but new people but come and not return.

So it's in the interest of HJ to get the company he pays for the site to at least check the web site. This is the only site I have a problem with on multiple machines.

Happy to discuss with Steven Koo via email. (Hope I got the name right). Also will try things out and send debug files etc.

Rob
IE6 crashes using this site. - MikeTorque
Why not download IE7 from Microsoft, it's free after all ?
If the fix is to use IE7 then do it, end of problem.

If you're still running with IE6 then you're likely not to have downloaded and installed the latest security updates, which means your computer is more vunerable to viruses and inconsistent/incompatible software issues and such like.

Also do you have a full Internet Security suite installed on the computer that's updated daily and scans the whole machine of a regular basis ?
IE6 crashes using this site. - PhilW
Thanks for that Mike - just took me 6 attempts to open and reply to your message.
I'm off to "WW1 Forum" and "Grow your own allotment" sites - sad aren't I?

"Also do you have a full Internet Security suite installed on the computer that's updated daily and scans the whole machine of a regular basis ?"

Yes

And anyway - isn't IE6 still fully supported? You'll be telling me to switch to Vista rather than XP next.

Bye
Phil

And anyway - isn't IE6 still fully supported? You'll be telling me to switch to
Vista rather than XP next.

IE6 to IE7 (or Firefox 3.0 or Opera 9.5) is a free upgrade, but XP to Vista? Not so much on either count.

IE6 is now 7 years old. It predates XP. Do you remember what the Web was like back then? Most of it was just fields.
Why not download IE7 from Microsoft it's free after all ?

No. No, no, no, no. No. See my OP.

If the fix is to use IE7 then do it end of problem.

No it is not the fix. The fix is to correct whatever's causing the issue.

If you're still running with IE6 then you're likely not to have downloaded and installed
the latest security updates

Not so.

Also do you have a full Internet Security suite installed on the computer that's updated
daily and scans the whole machine of a regular basis ?

Yes.
All very well Baskerville, but IE6 works perfectly well with all other sites I visit (not a lot I admit)- on HJ, the site crashes with monotonous regularity at the moment. All I get is "IE has encountered a problem and must close" and it can happen every time I open a thread on some occasions. I suspect it is something to do with that Utarget thing that keeps popping up and whatever it advertises I have sworn never to touch it. And yes, I have upgraded the flash thingy to no effect. I don't like IE7 or Firefox and IE6 is what my 2 computers were supplied with - and driving a Morris Minor 400 miles on a motorway would not usually result in a breakdown every mile - which is what logging on here is like at the moment for me. The only time the site works is when the utarget thing is blocked in some way and just appears as "this ad has been brought to you by utarget networks" in a green stripe at top of a separate page. If utarget hen thing opens IE6 closes. (I don't want to buy a hen)
There it goes again, - and I've updated that java thing
IE6 crashes using this site. - Victorbox
"I suspect it is something to do with that Utarget thing that keeps popping up and whatever it advertises I have sworn never to touch it"

Couldn't agree more. Normal adverts are fine, but the utarget thing is a pain. I take great delight in right mouse clicking on the utarget tab & deleting it without ever opening it, even if I have to do this several times while viewing this site. Anything that tries to get around the pop up blocker doesn't get my business.
I take great delight in right mouse clicking on the utarget tab & deleting it without ever opening it

I have blocked utarget entirely - you can do so from your firewall or by editing the "hosts" file in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
add an entry
127.0.0.1 www.utarget.co.uk
IE6 crashes using this site. - Stuartli
Gleaned from a quick search:

"Flash9f.ocx is the latest ActiveX version for IE"

"You can remove the previous version if you like C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9e.ocx"
Flash9f.ocx

Loads of people having the same/similar problem. It seems Flash is the culprit. Adonbe Flash forum
tinyurl.com/49j9jw and tinyurl.com/4mfljb

It seems that in many cases it is a question of Flash not installing correctly and is sometimes related to the hardware.
Fixes which are claimed to have worked include:

1. un-registering and then re-regsitering flash ocx
go to start and "run" the following commands one after the other
regsvr32 /u C:WINNTsystem32MacromedFlashFlash9f.ocx
regsvr32 C:WINNTsystem32MacromedFlashFlash9f.ocx
or if you have flash9e
regsvr32 /u C:WINNTsystem32MacromedFlashFlash9e.ocx
regsvr32 C:WINNTsystem32MacromedFlashFlash9e.ocx

2. Un-installing Flash, and then running two or three different registry cleaners to remove all traces from registry, 1. and then reinstalling.

Edited by jbif on 25/06/2008 at 01:22

IE6 crashes using this site. - Dynamic Dave
Comments have been passed across to Khoo Systems, who will in turn talk with the advertising agency and investigate what is causing it.

DD.