SAAB 2.2TiD - MikeF
My 2yr old 93 had become incredibly sluggish with major flat spots in acceleration. The garage claimed to have replaced the 'air flow sensor' which did seem to partially correct the problem but the engine management warning light now appears on a regular basis accompanied with the previous loss of power and performance. I think the turbo may the issue but SAAB claim it's ok - any ideas?

p.s. SAAB have just issued a warning to diesel owners that overfilling the oil is causing serious engine damage. They enclose detailed engine oil checking proceedures and warn against adding oil just because the 'check engine oil' warning comes on. The tolerance between marks on the dip stick is only 1.0 litre.
SAAB 2.2TiD - John Davis
" any ideas? "
Mike.
A long shot here but, there was some discussion previously regarding engine oil "blow by", on high mileage engines, affecting petrol engined catalysts. It is not unknown, with some bore wear, that diesel's will have their fuel/air mix corrupted by engine oil. In fact, diesels have been known to "run on" by consuming their own sump oil, after the fuel line switch has shut off. Saab's warning, regarding sump oil overfilling, might not be connected to this phenomenon and, as your vehicle is only two years old, bore wear is unlikely but, on a high mileage engine, with, excessive bore wear, lubricating oil, in the combustion chambers, will affect performance.
SAAB 2.2TiD - RichardP
Chances are you have another faulty MAF sensor. I had a very similar problem with my 2000 Vectra DI, whereby the engine management light would come on only at motorway speeds. A new sensor cured this and all has been fine since. If you have another sensor fitted, insist the air filter is changed and that it is well sealed when installed. If your engine has a wastegate on it's turbo, check the vac lined leading too it for air leaks.
SAAB 2.2TiD - MikeF
Thanks for your help folks, problem was finally (3 garage visits) diagnosed as a leaking vac line and sorted in half an hour under warranty. I think it may have had a leak from new as It has never performed so well as does is now.
SAAB 2.2TiD - Ian (Cape Town)
Great to hear the saab is back in bizness!
I have heard so many stories of 'leaking vac pipes', I wonder why this isn't the first item that gets checked!

>>It has never performed so well as does is now

Great! Now don't get caught!