2000 2.4 auto Has my head gasket gone??? - symiller
Hello,

Is it possible that the head gasket has gone on my 'W' reg S80 - even tho' the temperature NEVER rises above half way??

One day the coolant level is at the minimum, the next it may be almost bursting out of the top - the next, so empty i get a warning to TOP UP as soon as possible - and i can honestly say that i cannot see ANY leaks etc anywhere!

The times that the coolant level is at the very top, i have slightly released the cap (to reduce the pressure slightly) and a very fine 'Cappuccino' type liquid comes out, very frothy and creamy - it is as if the coolant inside is turning into a pint of stout - creamy head etc!

I' am really concerned as it has been an excellent car for the 3.5 years that i have owned it.

I wonder, could the coolant system be blocked considering the irratic coolant levels showing??

Would a flush of the system and re-filling help if it is blocked??

I ask as i put some 'Stop leak' in the expantion tank a couple of months ago - could this be clogging the cooling system up??

The car is fine on a run, the temperature actually goes DOWN but i guess this is because the wind is cooling the engine.

The fan also cuts in as normal.

Any advice appreciated

Many thanks all.
2000 2.4 auto Has my head gasket gone??? - Lud
My guess is the stop leak has also stopped some small but useful water passages somewhere in the cooling system. I don't know whether the stuff responds to powerful flushing agents. I have used it in the past and it has always been a mistake. It may be tempting if you are in a hurry or grudge the money for a proper repair but it does more harm than good in the long run. Or that anyway is my experience.
2000 2.4 auto Has my head gasket gone??? - gmac
Do you have any mayonnaise like substance under the oil filler cap ?
Another check is first thing in the morning take the top off the expansion tank and start the engine up. Can you see bubbles in the expansion tank ? This indicates a leak in the cooling system, mayo, type substance under the oil filler cap indicates the headgasket.
It is, of course, possible to get oil in the coolant also so check the coolant out. It should be a pure green or blue depending on what was used at the last a/f change.
2000 2.4 auto Has my head gasket gone??? - Simon
Why did you put the Stop Leak stuff in there in the first place?
2000 2.4 auto Has my head gasket gone??? - Railroad.
When the engine is warm is the temperature of the radiator vastly different to that of the engine? If it is cahnge the thermostat. In fact change it anyway.....