Clumsy over engineered designs - yorkiebar
Had to change a stop light bulb on a Ford Fusion today; 1st time I have had reason to touch the rear lights and had to comment on the design.

To release the light unit from the car involves 2 self tappers (outside of car) a plastic screw fastner (inside) and a ball socket (unreachable). Any 2 of these would have been sufficient to hold it securely in place!

Then to release the bulb holder from the light unit there are 6 plastic clips; all of which have to be released at the same time, making it very awkward to do by your self! Again, 2 clips would have been sufficient!

Why do manufacturers make theses assemblies so hard to do? Considerable cost savings could be made (pennies per car admittedly) by a simpler design, so why the extra costs?

Any other contenders for over engineered design?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/05/2008 at 11:30

Clumsy over engineered designs - Demon
I laughed at my mate in work last week when he told me he was taking his Fiat Stilo (that's not what made me laugh...) to a garage to get a brake bulb replaced. I said "I'll do it for you lunch time". Lunch time came... lunch time went... I told him "better take it to a garage mate"...

OK it wasn't super-complicated as described above, but was a very awkward ten minute job that invovled removing three nigh on impossible to get to bolts.

Stilo handbook advises taking car to dealer when bulbs need changing. Hmm...
Clumsy over engineered designs - 659FBE
Next time you're stuck in traffic near an old Range Rover, try counting the number of screws securing the rear lamp lens - a design of unmatched genius. The problem is that the clowns in Solihull applied similar levels of design expertise to the rest of it.

Clumsy over engineered designs - L'escargot
Tell me what car you drive and I'll slag off the manufacturer in the same shallow and unjustified way you have slagged off Ford.
Clumsy over engineered designs - Garethj
I'd guess the light unit is done like that so it's easier to build up sub-assemblies in the factory? With the number of staff that Ford have on Value Engineering, I'm certain there's a cost benefit in there somewhere!
Clumsy over engineered designs - maz64
Tell me what car you drive and I'll slag off the manufacturer in the same
shallow and unjustified way you have slagged off Ford.

I think that's a bit harsh. He was talking specifically about one aspect of the car, and asked for examples from other manufacturers. I drive a Ford (which I like) and it didn't bother me.
Clumsy over engineered designs - DP
To change the main beam bulbs in the Scenic II involves removing the light unit, which in turn involves removing the front bumper, which in turn involves removing the wheelarch liners, which in turn involves removing the wheels.

Clumsy? Yes. Over engineered? No, more like badly engineered.

I like this car a lot, but this bit of design infuriates me beyond words.

Cheers
DP
Clumsy over engineered designs - Happy Blue!
Despite Subarus being engineered like no other car, my Outback still requires two bolts to be undone before the whole light assembly can be removed to change a bulb. The easiest was the Mk 2 Golf, which took no more than 30 seconds to remove the interior bulb holder, swap bulbs and replace the holder.
Clumsy over engineered designs - pyruse
My old Nissan Bluebird had all the bulbs accessible from the interior (or from under the bonnet in the case of the headlamps).
Remove rubber boot.
Remove spring clip.
Remove plug.
Take bulb out.
Reverse procedure to replace.

Took all of about 30 seconds.
Mind you, the contacts for the headlights eventually corroded badly after about 15 years and caused problems.

I don't know why newer cars seem to make it so hard.
Clumsy over engineered designs - L'escargot
He was talking specifically about one aspect of the
car ........

The thread title was/is "Ford - Clumsy over engineered designs".
Clumsy over engineered designs - Dynamic Dave
I've now changed it as we're talking about other makes/models besides Ford.
Clumsy over engineered designs - boxsterboy
Well accesss to the rear lights on my Merc C-class estate (W203) is very WELL engineered. A couple of simple sprung plastic clips, and off comes the light panel, giving full and easy access to all bulbs. 2 minutes tops.
Clumsy over engineered designs - OldSkoOL
a work colleague of mine had to change the lightbulb on his smartcar

the garage wanted to charge him £60 so he decided to do it himself.

He had to remove the whole of the front part of the car shell just to do this.

Clumsy over engineered designs - perleman
On My Boxster, to change a bulb, you simply insert the supplied allen-key into a hole in the front boot, turn 90 degrees and the headlamp unit slides out - piece of cake. On the Golf before, it demanded removal of the entire bumper. I can only think that it's done to enable massive labour charges from franchised garages and can't believe no-one has pointed it out sooner

Edited by perleman on 22/05/2008 at 17:09

Clumsy over engineered designs - The Batmobile
Hi Yorkiebar,

I've just found a great new site called 8< SNIP - if you want to advertise, then you will have to pay like everyone else does , it has loads of upto date Motoring news and discussions on hot topics. You might want to take a look.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/05/2008 at 19:51

Clumsy over engineered designs - adverse camber
As an engineer I object strongly to the attempt to slur engineering by labelling carp design and assembly as 'engineering'.

Tell me your occupation and I'll slag that off.

;-)
Clumsy over engineered designs - mike hannon
Couldn't agree more. A few brittle plastic clips badly positioned doesn't sound like 'over engineering' to me.
But then, I've never owned a Ford. ;-)

Edited by mike hannon on 22/05/2008 at 18:42

Clumsy over engineered designs - ifithelps
An elegant design was the light lenses on Rover 2000s with those little tags on top so you coud see from the driver's seat if a bulb was out.
Clumsy over engineered designs - yorkiebar
Wow people get uptight quick?

I had to use a manufacturer name (now deleted) to be able to post and it happened to be a Ford! that I was working on.

I drive (currently) anything from the folowing, rover, honda,
vauxhall, nissan and renault. I am a mechanic, small (one man band) trader so its what i have that i drive. All of them suffer from design faults of some sort.

Believe it or not no manufacturer (including ford) is immune from it!

I just happened to be working on a ford.

And if design is not engineered? then what is it? :)

And regards front lamps it has been covered a lot before; but I was amazed and annoyed at how difficult a simple stop light bulb was on a modern car! In 2 years more time when the screws have rusted in and the plastic balljoint breaks it will be a nightmare job for the diy man at home.

And I dont slag off your jobs when 1 man bands get heavy flak. Think on ?
Clumsy over engineered designs - Harleyman
Frequently, the faults on modern cars which cause maintenance difficulties are caused by designers concentrating on ergonomic, aesthetics and production costs. In laymans terms it looks good, feels good and is cheap to build.

For example; the "Rubbolite" lenses were for years the market leaders in truck lighting. All the driver had to do to change a bulb was pull the lens away from its rubber mount, hence the name; no screwdrivers, pliers, sledgehammers or fitter needed. Downside was they were relatively expensive,looked ugly and got nicked easily by less scrupulous drivers who'd forgotten to replace one.

New truck lenses (and many on cars) require the driver (who by rights is responsible for changing bulbs) to carry a Torx driver to get at the bulb. Not a simple flat-bladed screwdriver, and do you know why? It's because the human operatives who made the lenses have been replaced with machines, which can't deal with "ordinary" screws.

Manufacturers have forgotten the virtue of simplicity.
Clumsy over engineered designs - gordonbennet
Seconded Harleyman.

To be fair though, these new led trailer lights do seem to be quite rugged, haven't got the foggiest whats involved in changing one though, but they've been trouble free for 2 and a bit years and 237k, so not bad by any means, says he and they'll all blow tomorrow.
Clumsy over engineered designs - Number_Cruncher
I know that you and GB aren't going to like this Harleyman, but, If I were running a fleet, I would welcome the torx screws as a means for keeping drivers out of lamp fittings. Both as a measure to reduce lens theft, and also to reduce the clumsy fitting of bulbs - single contact bulbs forced into double contact holders, etc. I would be much happier with them just filling in a defect sheet when they see a defect on the vehicle.

For a brief period, my father asked his drivers to perform simple vehicle checks - the costs soon mounted up, and the work was passed back to the workshop staff!

Clumsy over engineered designs - Harleyman
I take your point NC, and as a former fitter I've seen (and repaired at ungodly hours) the results of wrong bulb fitment myself; however I don't think you or your Dad would be half as happy to get a call from a driver at 3 in the morning saying the bobbies had just stopped him and would you send the fitter out 50 miles each way 'cos I've been pulled up and they won't let me go till I've got two rear lights!

Defect sheets are all very well provided the defect is there when the driver checks his vehicle.

The answer to that, as we both know, is train and equip your drivers properly, they're not all idiots even though some employers treat them as such! ;-)
Clumsy over engineered designs - gordonbennet
I'll assume that some of us do have the common to count the number of contacts on a bulb NC, and to read the side of the bulb to check its not 12v.

In the early 80's i would run empty from Widness or Birkenhead (leather waste, another industry gone) to Calverton Colliery or Coalite (remembered fondly) or similar for a load of coal back down. Now with an empty tipper trailer the run across has been known to blow 6 out of the 8 bulbs (in those days) on a trailer (yes my boss bought thousands from that new at the time Yorkshire bulb maker instead of the quality lucas bulbs that cost a little more, but lasted months instead of minutes), it would be quite amusing to have a fitter following me around all day, shoving bulbs in at traffic lights etc.

Did your father have 'new blood' drivers, as us 'been through the mill' older school have been doing minor and running repairs for years.
In terms of experience, the drivers were a mixture, with some having long and wide experience, with others who were put through their HGV by the company. Being based in a small villiage, my father would employ a man from the villiage if at all possible, and this was the main source for the "new blood" drivers.

One or two of our drivers were up to doing basic work on the trucks, but some of the more ham fisted ones were prone to doing more damage than good.

Probably, today's solution would be LEDs. I would be surprised if they don't last for the life of the vehicle.

Clumsy over engineered designs - Dynamic Dave
I had to use a manufacturer name (now deleted) to be able to post

That only applies in Tech Matters. Here in discussion you only need to choose a category or make/model to be able to post. In most cases it'll be just a category, unless there is a reason to include a make/model.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/05/2008 at 01:34

Clumsy over engineered designs - movilogo
Many modern cars are like of today are like computer printers. Damn cheap to buy but when cartridge replacement time comes, you'll discover that you'd be better of buying a whole new printer again :)

Some cases manufactures made it complex but in other cases consumers wanted it to be like this.

Make headlamp change too easy, it will be frequently nicked. Make it too complex - people will moan why they need to pay dealer £50-£100 for changing bulbs. It's very difficult to draw an exact borderline which will make everyone happy.

Take another example, repairing ABS often costs considerable amount of money. ABS is not required by law. Yet, all manufactures provide it anyway - if they not, consumers will assume that they are getting a dangerous vehicle by modern standard.
>>ABS is not required by law.

I think you'll find that it's difficult for a volume manufacturer to sell a car without ABS, since 2004, it's been a legal requirement.

Clumsy over engineered designs - Roly93
Had to change a stop light bulb on a Ford Fusion today; 1st time I
have had reason to touch the rear lights and had to comment on the design.

You should try changiong the rear bulbs on the old shape (B6) Audi A4 if you want a real challenge !