2000 2.0 Oil sump removal - how easy? - MW
I am toying with removing the oil sump on my SAAB to ckeck for the oil sludge problem as I want to keep the car for some time. Its done 62K miles and been well serviced at SAABs.
Anyone done this job. How easy is it, and any pitfalls?
2000 2.0 Oil sump removal - how easy? - Collos25
Look under the car if you can see all the retaining bolts for the sump and nothing is stopping it from dropping for removal then its a reasonable easy job.Don't forget it will be wise to replace the gasget and and any oil seals.Is sludging a problem on these cars why not use some cleaner put in just before the next oil change and use some flushing oil before adding the proper oil.
2000 2.0 Oil sump removal - how easy? - Group B
I dont know much about this as my 9-3 is a diesel, but from what I've read it is not as quick and easy a job as it ought to be.

Apparently you need to remove part of the exhaust and also loosen one side of the front subframe to get the sump off. The sump bolts are torx ones that are loctited in, and silicone is used instead of a pre-formed gasket.

See here:
www.saabscene.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=316373...6
www.saabscene.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=316319...1
www.saabscene.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=316340...2

I have only done a brief search on Saabscene, you would be best joining and doing a search yourself to get more info. Search 9-3 and 9-5 forums, its an easier job on a 9-5 but you may find useful info there too.

Cheers,

Rich.
2000 2.0 Oil sump removal - how easy? - MW
Thanks for the contections. I was planning to use a flush through before dropping the sump. Might as well get the gunge out first and then check and clean the botton out.
Given how much this discussion this topic gets with SAAB people, I was hoping that someone had, 'had a go' at the sump.
Anyone?