1996 2.3 In-Tank fuel pump refitting - Colliewobble
Has anyone got any experience in refitting one of these please?

Mine packed up t'other day and I'm now £150 lighter in pocket but can't get the new blighter back into the tank :-(

I've tried the "piece of string" trick to hold the telescoping pump bit up, but try as I might I cannot get the whole assembly to stand vertically so that the top gubbins sits flat with the tank opening.

There is a yellow low sided thing in the tank and I'm assuming that the pump etc should sit in that - but maybe it should sit outside?

Any thoughts welcome as I'm not too happy having the car sitting in the drive with a 3/4 full fuel tank of petrol that's not properly sealed...........

Cheers,
Andy
1996 2.3 In-Tank fuel pump refitting - Colliewobble
Update: In the end I made a mock-up of the sender/pump unit out of wood with all the various angles.
Putting this in the tank, I could then see where the actual unit would sit (in the yellow tray). It also enabled me to see that the unit needed to be almost completely "telescoped" in the vertical plane. I'd imagined that it would be extended to the maximum - hence my original problem in seating it.

For anyone else contemplating this, a few other pointers:

The seal between the unit and the tank has to go in after the unit is positioned - the seal will go over the unit in situ provided the unit is pulled out a good tad.
Fixing the seal to the unit beforehand is a no-no. The seal has two 'flaps' around to seal against the tank opening and they foul if the seal is already around the unit.
Once seal is positioned, use plenty of lubricant spray and firmly push the unit in - it is a tight fit and needs considerable slipperiness to slide in.
If the large knurled locking ring is left off the tank it shrinks and is impossible to refit. Solution is
a 10 minute soaking in boiling water and it will then go on easily.

Car started first go and now all is quiet - just a gentle humming if you listen down the fuel filler
tube.

A result!

Andy

1996 2.3 In-Tank fuel pump refitting - wittsy
Hi, well done with the refit, I may have this as a second problem with my 1989 740 volvo, I am with the help of guys on this site sorting out an idle speed problem, not got it cleared yet,, but i see you paid mega bucks for an in tank pump,, I found one on ebay for 45.99 new,, I have not purchased yet,,until the idle prob sorted,, was your car struggling to drive under load and with low fuel but ok on lower speed and gentle driving or did it pack in altogether Wittsy