removal of go faster stripe! - Ross D
Hello.

I own a Yellow corraod which has a rather tasteful Red go faster stripe down the side of it. The stripe has been placed here, i think, due to own of the door panels being partially re-sprayed.

I am going to have this door re-sprayed again and am keen to remove the red stripe from the rest of the car.

Whats the best way to do this? I read the post about removing car stickers which was helpful. But I thought I should ask in case any of these solvent will damage paintwork?

Any advice on how best to remove this stripe would be appreciated.

Ross

P.S. The stripe is of a stick on variety!
removal of go faster stripe! - Richard Hall
Tread carefully. I once bought an Astra GTE which had go faster stripes down the sides. When I removed them, I found that the paintwork had been 'keyed' down both sides, with the stripes stuck on to hide the damage. Most commercially available solvents will not touch original factory paintwork, but the resprayed area could be a little more fragile. I have used a hair drier to soften the stripes so that they peel off in one piece, then used meths to remove the sticky residue. Finally a light T-Cut and wax as the paint under the stickers will be less faded than the rest of the car, if they have been on for any length of time.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
removal of go faster stripe! - Simon
Normally 'coach lines' as they are commonly known are fairly easy to get off with hot water (but it does depend on the type of coach line it is). Boil up a kettle and then pour it a bit at a time along the coach line, while peeling the stripe off with your fingers. Be careful because the water will obviously be quite hot. The hot water dissolves the glue and the stripe will more or less fall off. This is the way we used to remove them in our bodyshop. One thing to watch for though is occasionally as you have found is that people paint panels up to the lines and this looks a bit of a mess when the stripe has been removed. If you are getting the one panel resprayed by a professional, why not get him to remove the coach lines to save you the hassle.
removal of go faster stripe! - Steve Brautigan
use a hair dryer. Gets them off no probs.