1996 1.4 Juddering when gear change - Kez
Hi,

I wondered if any of the experts out there could help me. Last week my polo overheated and needed a new thermostat and housing which has been fixed but since ive had the car back from the garage a new problem has emerged.

When im driving along and gaining speed, I change gear and sometimes the car judders (the same sort of juddering if the car was going to stall if it was in too high a gear) so I have to slow the car, go down a gear and then try again. It doesnt happen all the time and usually happens when im asking the car to go over 40 miles an hour and in 4th and 5th gear. This problem has never happened before and I wondered if anyone out there with any knowledge of these cars has any answer or idea as to what the problem might be.

It has done over 102,000 miles and so I appreciate problems happen when the car gets old and has been used a lot but only since the overheating arose has this problem emerged.

Id really appreciate any feedback

Thanks all

Kez
1996 1.4 Juddering when gear change - Dean999
Hi,

Did you find out what the problem was/is?
We have a 1999 1.4 with only 23,000 miles and it seems to have developed the same symtoms.