New car for Mother-in-Law - Felix
Hi,
The time's come for the Mother-in-Law to get rid of her ageing Corsa, and she'd like me to find her a replacement. Criteria are (not very exciting I'm afraid)

* Automatic
* Easy to drive and park, she's a fairly tentative driver
* Compact, but enough space to carry her 3 young grandchildren, so 3 proper rear seatbelts very handy, and 5 doors
* Easy to get in and out of, she's not very nimble these days
* Low-maintenance, reliable, hassle-free
* She does a few motorway miles, so must be able to cope out of town

The following do not matter!

* Performance, fun to drive
* Style
* Toys (though basics like electric front windows & central locking would be handy)

Her budget including trade-in for the Corsa should be about £6500.

I am torn between the following - not a very sexy selection really (though that's hardly the point!)

* Nearly-new Fiat Panda - SWMBO's got a 100HP one and I love it so I'm a bit biased but they may be very hard to find with 3 rear seat belts
* Nearly-new Kia Picanto - maybe too underpowered to cope with the motorway?
* Fairly new Daihatsu Sirion - based on the Yaris so should be pretty reliable, but would have to settle for slightly older model
* Honda Jazz - she's said she likes them, and I know they've got a reputation for being reliable, but obviously on this budget she'd be looking at a much older car so potential for higher running costs?

What would you do? Any I've missed that you think would be better?

Cheers

Felix
New car for Mother-in-Law - Billy Whizz
Do the 3 young grandchildren need car seats or boosters? If so, have a read of this thread entitled: SMALLEST 5 door new car that fits 3 child Seats
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59425
New car for Mother-in-Law - Pugugly
Another Corsa ? Very pretty little things !
New car for Mother-in-Law - Avant
Trying hard to avoid the 'is it a straight swap?' jokes suggested by the thread title.... The Jazz CVT ticks the boxes, but you'll have trouble finding a CVT within her budget.

I'd go with PU and suggest a newer Corsa, or perhaps a Fiesta: both depreciate quickly from new so the budget should get one with plenty of life left in it. The automatics tend to be fitted to up-market versions so she should get central locking etc. and 3 rear seatbelts.

She might like the solid feel of a Polo but it would have to be older.

Edited by Avant on 14/05/2008 at 00:32

New car for Mother-in-Law - RaineMan

The age of the grandchildren and the intended period of ownership have to come into the equation. Having to change in only a couple of years could be expensive in depreciation. Best to let the children grow into the car than out of it!
New car for Mother-in-Law - drbe
New car for Mother-in-Law.

Now, that sounds a pretty good swap to me. I suggest you accept their offer!
New car for Mother-in-Law - Mapmaker
I presume her current car is an auto - if not, swapping at that age is not to be taken lightly.
New car for Mother-in-Law - mlj
Four year old Toyota Yaris automatic 5 door should just be within budget. Toyota reliability and customer service should give some peace of mind. One grand child will have to sit in front, obviously with the correct child seat/restraint.
New car for Mother-in-Law - Happy Blue!
Hyundai Getz... a larger car than some of the others, very reliable, five year warranty...