Air con and MPG - Mr Mark
Does using the air con/climate control make a lot of difference to the MPG in a modern car?

Also, should a brand new car be 'run-in' for say 1000 miles before trying to accurately assess the MPG?

Thanks.

Air con and MPG - Cyd
Yes, using aircon increases fuel consumption. By how much will depend on the car and how powerful the aircon is and how much you use it. My 827 auto used to do about 1.5mpg less in the summer with the ATC system on auto. I think it's reasonable to expect a 1 to 2 mpg reduction in most cars.
If this concerns you try these tips:
*try to park in a shady spot or in the garage or use window shades when the car is not in use
*when you drive off in a hot car don't put the aircon on straight away - drive a couple of miles with the windows down and the fans on full. This will remove some of the stored heat from the interior and allow the engine to warm up (so it's running more efficiently) before you turn on the aircon.
*once you have the aircon on, drive with all windows and roof shut and use the recirculation function initially - this will cool the interior quicker.
*once the interior is cool enough - keep the recirc on - this way the aircon only has to combat the solar load and is not also cooling an incoming hot air stream. This will also benefit you if you are a hayfever sufferer. If you wear soft contacts though you may find your eyes start to dry out and become uncomfortable after about half an hour or so.

BTW: GM conducted an experiment about 5yrs ago in the US. They were able to prove that driving with windows shut and aircon on is more fuel efficient than no aircon & windows open. Basically the load the aircon puts on the engine is less than that caused by the aerodynamic disruption of having the windows open. Of course, the cars were driven continuously, so the results may not be valid for very short journeys.

You will probably find that most cars economy continues to improve for up to 30k,with the biggest improvements over the first 10k. My own car has done 115k and betters the figures from both the Autocar test results and official test results despite my hefty right foot.
Air con and MPG - Dynamic Dave
Yes, using aircon increases fuel consumption.

In my experience, my previous car, Vaux Cavalier - when the air con was on, mpg was improved by a couple of miles. Current car, Vectra, no difference with it on or off.
Air con and MPG - Daedalus
DD

The air conditioning unit uses a compressor to compress the refrigerant gas. This HAS to absorb power taken from the engine which means that if you continue to drive in the same manner as you did before the aircon was on as you do when it is on you MUST use more fuel. Your fuel consumption must go up it cant stay the same or reduce. It maybe that when the AC is on you are not so hot and bothered and driver slower, or you dont have the windows open as per first reply.

As a matter of interest the principles of refrigeration mean that for every KW of power put into the system from the engine you will actually get out between 2 and 3 KW of cooling effect. You are not getting something for nothing its just you are moving heat bodily from one place to another, unlike in a normal heating system where for every KW of heat input you only get a part of it backa as useful heat. The AC system could also be used in reverse to heat the car on cold mornings before the engine is up to temperature. I am sure some cars use this as well but dont have a clue which ones do. Any helpers on this out there.

Bill
Air con and MPG - THe Growler
Both our Fords' heaters work with the a/c, bit odd for a country with an average temperature on a "chilly" morning of at least 2O c.

However, when we were in the Gulf and Saudi, where you do get very chilly winter mornings, heater and a/c together were a boon. I'm sure same would be so in UK.
Air con and MPG - Cardew
GRowler,
I wonder if manufacturers fit different size compressors for different export markets.

In tropical climates I have noticed the drop in power when the compressor cuts in, while in Europe I don't. Or am I imagining it?

C
Air con and MPG - Godfrey H {P}
I was wondering the same thing Cardew. Experience of hiring cars in warmer climates compared with my UK car, the AC units on these cars seem to be beefier. It's only my impression I would love to hear from somebody who knows.
DD
The air conditioning unit uses a compressor to compress the refrigerant
gas. This HAS to absorb power taken from the engine
Your fuel consumption must go up it cant stay the same
or reduce.

Mr Mark, I can only go on the mpg calculations I did.
Car, Mk3 Cavalier Diplomat 2.0 L Auto.
Air con on - 26 mpg.
Air con off - 24 mpg.
I never understood it, neither could the dealership that serviced it. There was a drop in engine performance with the air con on, therefore the loud pedal was used with more vigour. Result, better mpg.

"Ya can'eet change the law of physics Jim" Somehow the Mk3 Cavi did though!!
Mr Mark,

Oops, my reply should have been directed to Bill Doodson.
Air con and MPG - Vansboy
We've mentioned medium - larger cars here, what sort of drop in mpg do the super minis show, though?
AND how about drop in performance?Bought a Ka for a customer, only 2000 miles on it, still quite tight, but reasonable go, but turn on the air & caravans could pass you!!
AND, bet there will be pots of money,or not, for air con service centres in the not to distant!Can't see private owners finding £80-£100 for checks & recharges every year or so, let alone penny pinching fleet managers!!
(When did you last change that pollen filter, even??
Mark
Air con and MPG - Mr Mark
Wow - thanks for all your interesting replies.

Another thought... Is it really neccessary to change/recharge the refrigerant on a routine basis as some garages/manufacturers would like us to? I spoke to an industrial refrigeration guy at work who said no. So long as there are no leaks or other problems you don't need to change the gas, like your domestic fridge at home the same gas goes round and round for years on end without being changed.

BTW, I know of a local garage that recommends you let them change the anti-freeze every year 'ready for the winter' and the aircon gas every year 'ready for the summer'!!!
Air con and MPG - Dave N
A typical car compressor has an output of about 30,000 BTU, which is a hell of a lot. A home unit that you can buy from B&Q for a room has a compressor output of 6000 BTU, so from those figures you can see that it will consume considerable power. Somewhere in the region of 12KW or 9HP. However, that is only whilst the compressor is actually engaged, as most cycle on and off according to demand. Therefore in cold weather, it will not cycle much, so it sort of sorts itself out, much like an alternator that reacts to demand. As to driving with the windows open, who knows. All I can say to those who are concerned about consumption, is turn it off!

All cars use similar output compressors, therefore the damand is the same if car is small or large. As a rule, large cars don't have larger systems, just longer pipes that hold more gas. And around the world, most have similar systems, it just seems to work better in hot countries due to the difference in temperature when you get out of the car. The system can only go down to zero degrees at the evaporator, and as long as it has the capacity to do this, then they will all have the same ultimate temperature.

Now for recharging. Fridges don't have flexible hoses, rubber seals, and have hermeticaly sealed compressors, therefore the chance of leaks is very small. Cars do, with a resulant increase in gas leakage. It is the leakage of gas over a period of time that affects performance and lubrication. So you pays your money and takes your choice. If you're keeping the car for a long time, pay a bit of time and attention to making sure it always has the correct amount of gas and oil in it. If not, don't worry about it. Same with engine oil changes. You could probably run a car for 70K miles without changing the oil and no obvious problems, same with a/c. It's an insurance policy, not a guarantee, so only you can decide if it's money well spent. I personally recommend a recharging after something like 3 years, then maybe every couple of years after that. But if people don't wish to heed that advice, I don't lose much sleep over it.

All this 'having to turn off a/c to get up hills' is a load of tosh, as the ecu reads the throttle position sensor, and if it sees a big movement it will cut the compressor, but it's fair to say that the drag of a 10hp compressor on a small engine of say 60hp, is quite a lot. Especially as that 60hp is only developed at 5000rpm, and the engine may only be developing 30hp at 2000rpm. But you don't get something for nothing in this world.

And finally, beware advice from some refrigeration engineers. Whilst the physical process of refrigeration or a/c is the same, ie. converting a refrigerant from liquid to gaseous phase, and back again, the actual mechanical process of achieving, and more importantly, controlling this, isn't always the same. Cars are subject to a much harsher enviroment, are much less tolerant to problems with gas charge, use special lubricants, critical airflow requirements, and use many inter-related components, the failure of which can cause huge problems elsewhere in the system. Take a simple device like a timing belt, and the consequences of it's malfunction.
Air con and MPG - Cardew
Dave,
Thanks for a most informative post. I hadn't realised that a compressor was as large as 30,000 BTU.

I understand your point about the compressor cutting in more often in higher temperatures, also that bigger cars have a similar size compressor.

However do you know if, say, a Jaguar made to export specification for Kuwait would have a larger compressor(50,000 BTU?) than a UK spec car? Or would the UK spec compressor cope with Middle East temperatures, albeit it would be engaged more.

C

Air con and MPG - Dave N
I think you'll find it's the same compressor, just stays on longer, as you say. You may find they fit a more efficient condenser or larger fans, to try and shift a bit more heat, but the limiting factor isn't the compressor. They are so oversized already, as they have to get the car down to temp in a reasonable time, that the limiting factors tend to be other items, like the condenser and evaporator. In this country at 30 deg, the compressor will probably only run about 50% of the time once it's got going (at a lowish fan setting), so 40deg isn't that much more load. You will also find that cars with front and rear a/c only have a larger condenser, and everything else is the same.
Air con and MPG - Cyd
One of the reasons aircon systems need recharging regularly is the the gas molecules are smaller than rubber molecules, so the gas actually escapes through the rubber hoses. About 10% per year is reckoned to be average - so after 5yrs you're down to 50% gas and should really be having it recharged.

It's exactly the same reason why you change brake fluid every two years - water vapour and air molecules pass through the rubber hoses INTO the fluid. Of course the rubber hoses are at the business end of the brake system so as soon as the brakes get hot....... you know the rest of the song.
Air con and MPG - jc
The compressor pump on a small car is not much smaller than that on a large car so turning on the a/c will have a greater effect on performance-having said that,the module will turn off the pump if you put the throttle to the floor and come back on when you ease off.
Air con and MPG - Mike H
I had a Mondeo 2-litre (97 facelift) & the aircon reduced mpg by about 5% (2 mpg, from 38 to 36). I also had a Saab 9-3 2.2TiD (diesel), & there was no discernible difference. What I did notice on the petrol Mondeo as well, but not on the diesel Saab, was a loss of flexibilty with aircon on - had to change down sooner.
Air con and MPG - budu
Manufacturers seldom come clean on these two points. However, the handbook that came with my X-reg Fiat Punto 1.2 ELX Speedgear, which has a petrol engine, CVT gearbox and aircon, states:

"Higher consumption may be recorded during the first 2000 km while the car is being run in."

"The climate control system is an additional load which greatly affects the engine loading leading to a higher consumption (up to +20% in [sic] average)."

However, I use the aircon a lot throughout the year and still get an easy 46 m.p.g., or 50 m.p.g.with a lot of motorway driving - more than what it says on the tin.
Air con and MPG - Armitage Shanks {p}
What mpg reduction do V*lv* drivers get by driving round with their lights on all the time? I saw a V reg one the other day with no lights on at all; does this mean that all the bulbs had blown and the driver hadn't noticed or had it been modded to fit in with the rest of the human race?
I saw a V reg one the other day with no lights on at all;
does this mean that all the bulbs had blown....

No, the owner either pulled the fuse or the relay to kill the day running lights.
Its a more common thing for Saab drivers to do as they don't wish to associate themselves as Volvo drivers.
Air con and MPG - Steve S
Can't vouch for all Volvos but both models I've had enable you to turn the headlights (and sidelights) off. I did this initially but found that the dashboard dials were still illuminated, this often fooled me into thinking the lights were on if I set out in bad light, so I leave them on. It was also beter to actually set them to "on" rather than the default setting because you have to do that to make use of main beam anyway! That's Swedish logic for you. Volvo's joined the human race when the yanks started to fund them and the they employed a British designer!
Recirc? - Ian (Cape Town)
Cyd wrote:
once the interior is cool enough - keep the recirc on - this way the aircon only has to combat the solar load and is not also cooling an incoming hot air stream.

Errr, sorry Cyd - both my Opel and the old BMW handbooks advised against this, as the quality of the air inside the car would suffer.
Maybe Dave N could give some feedback on this...

Recirc? - Dave N
If you leave it on recirc, it can get a bit stale. But if you think about it, you normally keep the car at about 22 deg, whereas outside air may be 24 or 25 on a hot day, so any saving will be negligable, especially as most of the heat generated in a car is heat gain from the sun, which is there on recirc or external air.
Recirc? - Marcus
Dave,
Your posts are most informative - thanks.

Not that it changes the point you are making, but the statement surprised me. I have my climate control set at 19 deg and find 21 deg too warm. Each to his own as someone said!

Marcus
Recirc? - Dave N
I know what you're saying about the temp setting. I also find that on a hot day, 22 seems warm, but on a cold day, 22 seems cold.