The £100 fill up - moonshine {P}

Lots of talk lately about the increasing cost of fuel and oil.

So how long before it costs £100 to fill your tank up?

It seems like everytime I fill one of my cars up I set a new personal record, the one at the weekend set me back £65.

I saw diesel at £1.20 the other day, so maybe some owners of diesel cars are already at the £100 mark?

Whats the most you've ever paid to fill up a car?
The £100 fill up - niceguyeddy
I can get close ... bloke in front of me last week filled his X5 BMW came to £94 !!!!!
The £100 fill up - rogue-trooper
current record is £73
The £100 fill up - DP
Haven't had a sub £70 fillup for a month or so now.

Cheers
DP
The £100 fill up - BazzaBear {P}
I managed an £83 fill-up in 2003, on a 1981 Aston Martin V8 Vantage. And it'd only done 250 miles on that too.
Thankfully the most I've managed so far on 'normal' transportation is about £65. Still galling when the same tank used to be around £50 not so long ago.
The £100 fill up - moonshine {P}

The Aston Martin would easily break the £100 barrier then at todays prices!

£94 to fill up an X5? Serves em right I say! :)

BB - I know the feeling, it only feels like a few weeks back that I commented to SWMBO that it had just cost £50 to fill the car up. For some strange reason she didn't seem that bothered....
The £100 fill up - AdrianM
£88 in the C8 at the weekend - I can no longer brim it at the Pay-at-the-pump machine as it cuts me off at £70!
The £100 fill up - helicopter
A business colleague who picked me up in his Discovery last week told me he'd just paid £93 to fill up.

He also has four kids in private education.

The Accord is currently costing around £57 for a fill up but that only does 250 miles.....
The £100 fill up - Dipstick
Over £110 about three years ago when I had a Jag XJ6 V12 thingy.

Over £90 recently until Lexus sold a coup0le of weeks back.

Now a more reasonable £34 with super unleaded with new ickle baby car.

The £100 fill up - Alby Back
On the other side of the same coin/s. I have seen £100 worth of petrol disappear in a short morning. Neighbour of mine used to work for Bentley ( we live about 5 miles from the factory ). Occasionally he would bring one home for the weekend if he could justify it to his boss on the basis that he would continue "testing" something. Anyway, shortly before they launched the Continental GTC convertible he invited me for a Sunday morning run out in a pre-production model. Suffice it to say it got through the fuel at a quite astonishing rate. We also got through the countryside at a similarly astonishing rate. The effect of our.........um......brisk....... progress was exacerbated by the fact that this particular car was left hand drive and I found myself sitting very close to the right hand verge which often became quite blurry if you see what I mean. I found that random screaming helped to calm the nerves.

What a glorious noise from the car though !
The £100 fill up - doctorchris
At the other end of the spectrum, the tank on my Panda 4x4 is so small that even I run it as empty as I dare I can only get £28 of petrol in. Mind, that will only realistically take me about 220 miles so the economy is not so great.
The £100 fill up - madf
Diesel will have to be £2.50 per litre before I get to £100 per tank and as a tank lasts 450miles+
:-)

Don't say you have not been warned...
The £100 fill up - isisalar
I have an xantia Which the fuel guage tells me is 65 litres.I managed to stick (no panic buying)£70 of diesel in her last weekend.Should last a few weeks.
The £100 fill up - Christopher
Renault clio 1.5dci 65 - £60 to fill up but I had just completed 653 miles on one tank.
It was a bit much though!
Buy small and efficient cars everyone!!!
Interesting that we automatically think small when we discuss efficiency. We run two cars in our family for both domestic and business purposes. One is a Mondeo diesel estate and the other is a Ka. The estate is necessary to lug the kit I usually need for work. The Ka tends to be used for the nip and tuck of urban runs when the loadspace is not required. We swop around as required. The fuel element of the running cost of both cars is very similar. So if you then ask which is the most efficient car you kind of have to say the large one because it can do more. OK it cost more to buy but at 145k miles so far with no unforseen bills I can't really criticise it.
The £100 fill up - Mapmaker
So if you then ask which is the most efficient car you kind of have to say the [Mondeo] because it can do more [than the Ka]. OK it cost more to buy but at 145k
miles so far with no unforseen bills I can't really criticise it.

Ironically, I guess that if you were to try to sell them, you would get more for the Ka than the Mondeo. Once in banger territory, bigger cars are cheaper.
You are quite right Mapmaker, that would almost certainly be the case. We have long taken the "washing machine" view of car ownership as a result. We tend to keep cars until they are completely worn out or uneconomical to repair and then replace them with either new or relatively new ones. That way the depreciation factor is minimised. For example the Ka was bought new 4 years ago for £5k and will be run until it drops and the Mondeo was bought as a three year old with low mileage for £8k and will also be run for as long as possible. In both instances the cost of ownership should be very reasonable. Although both cars will be run to either great age or mileage we will at least know their history and will ensure that they are properly maintained. Been doing it like this for many years now and by and large it works.
The £100 fill up - craig-pd130
£78 for me (new Mondeo diesel, 65 litres at £1.189).

I found an old receipt from Feb 07 the other day: Shell Diesel Extra was 88.9p.