93 1.9 Estate - Faulty handbrake. - mart3442
The handbrake on my 405 estate is virtually non existent. This is despite replacing cables, shoes and drums and of course ensuring that the drum pistons and adjustors are all working and unseized.
It failed last years MOT with this problem and scraped through at the second attempt after we lightly scored the shoes with an angle grinder to give them more purchase.
I'm absolutely at my wits end with this problem, does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/04/2008 at 19:59

93 1.9 Faulty handbrake on 405 estate. - Peter.N.
Are you absolubty sure that the auto adjusters are working properly? If they are you should have difficulty removing the drums. There is very little movement on the handbrake mechanism so unless the shoes are adjusted up properly it wont work.
93 1.9 Faulty handbrake on 405 estate. - mart3442
Trust me, its all working, hence the frustration. 2 garages have failed to solve this problem.
93 1.9 Faulty handbrake on 405 estate. - Peter.N.
Well, its either that the handbrake lever isnt pulling the cables, or the lever on the brake drum isnt moving the shoes. You can check the handbrake lever operation by having someone pull it up while you are watching the backplate levers, do they move, how much?
Is the handbrake cable adjustable? If so and its to tight, it will stop the auto adjusters working.

Edited by Peter.N. on 28/04/2008 at 23:50

93 1.9 Faulty handbrake on 405 estate. - Ivan123
Hi,
I am new to the forum so please forgive any errors that I make.
May I offer two pieces of information that might help you solve the proble.
I had the rear handbrake cables replaced at the last MOT. The garage pointed out that there is only a small amount of movement in the system- The movement effort is magnified by the handbrale lever.
I note that you have had the cables replaced.
The other thing I wanted to mention was : I had trouble in the 1980,s getting a decent hanbrake on my dads Triumph 2000 ( Remember them ? ) The answer after much replacing of old parts ? The automatic adjusters were not working !!!!
So you have to replace the adjusters or manually adjust through the drum.
I hope this helps solve your problem with the handbrake ?
IVan