A month gone now - glenn1957
Hi I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. On March the 29th I went to the Daihatsu dealer to look at getting a PX price for my car against a new Sirion. I was told that the price of the car was to rise by £1000 in the next 2 days (correct info) and to save on the deal I would have to move fast.
I was given a good deal on PX and told I had to get a cover note for the new car within 24 hrs (of which I did)
I was given my new Registration number and a pre delivery letter saying that the car would be ready for collection on March 31st. It was also explained that it may be a couple of days after this....
I received the new vehicle documents and no money has changed hands.
However I have still not received the car.
My e mails were not answered and after a phone call a couple of weeks ago that I made, I was told it was still being imported from Japan. It is now nearly a month gone. I am paying higher insurance on car I do not have. I have transferred money from an interest account to a current account and so I have lost money by waiting?
Do I have any rights and is this a reasonable time to wait for a new car? They have not rang to keep me informed of developments and frankly the excitment of buying a new car (all be it cheap) has worn off. All in all pretty fed up.
Thanks
A month gone now - Falkirk Bairn
Were you given a del date - verbal or in writing?

If so you can enforce this i.e . car delivered or deposit refunded.

Anytime you sign for a car or a Kitchen for example you should write on the order "Time is of the Essence" - that way if there is a delay you can cancel and walk away
A month gone now - glenn1957
Yes I have a written delivery date of March 31st although no deposit or money has been exchanged. I also have the registration Docs for the new car?
A month gone now - Optimist
I can't follow this.

Why did they say you had to get a cover note? You don't need that till you pay the tax/VED, do you?

How can the car be registered? It's not yet in the UK from what you say, but I suppose the info to go on the docs is available.

Are you now the registered keeper?

I've never heard of a dealer who didn't take a deposit.

Someone with legal training should know the answer: is there a contract without consideration? Is there a contract here?

Sounds as though someone was desperate to make a target.
A month gone now - Manatee
There can certainly be a contract in place without a deposit being paid. If your agreement to buy the car was conditional on it's being delivered by 31 March, then you have an out, and a potential claim for your unavoidable losses. Less clear if the delivery date was simply noted as "approximate" or "estimated".

From a purely practical perspective, it's possible that the dealer has to register the car by 31 March to get the lower price - even though the car is still in the pipeline.

Have you asked the dealer where (literally) your car is, and when they expect it to arrive? On the face of it, the dealer could be as frustrated as you are if the value of your p/x is going down and creating a loss for him.

Of course it could be something more sinister - but before devising a conspiracy theory I'd have a frank talk with the dealer.
A month gone now - jiado
I have the same problem but haven't insured the car or registered. I'm now beginning to thing Dahaitsu delibrately takes orders without informing the buyers when to actually expect deliveries i.e. you order first then the car is built before the actual shipments which takes several weeks. My order now gone past 8 weeks having being given 3 to 4 weeks delivery and I'm still waiting with a promise it arrived at the port 2 weeks ago but the dealer his waiting for delivery which he claims he does not have any clue when. I thing its dishonesty on the part of dahaitsu and the dealers not to be upfront with customers. I have made up my mind not to buy a Dahaitsu after this if I can finally take delivery.
A month gone now - stunorthants26
I ordered a factory Smart in 05 and it took 14 weeks so dont give up yet. The dealer didnt really know when the car was coming until the transporter arrived and I got an excited phonecall from him to tell me.
The dealer is always at the mercy of the supplier, so ask them for an honest answer and if possible, actually go to the dealer and pin someone down for an answer.