LED Headlights? - colinh
Pictures of the updated A3 show it to have LED headlights as used on other Audi models.
Do these offer any practical advantage, or are they another "bling" item? Look a bit naff, and only really suitable at Christmas time.

Seems to be similar to the "white" tail-light craze of a few years back, which always looked like you'd had a rear shunt and put a temporary polythene cover over - fortunately they seemed to have been dropped by manufacturers now.
LED Headlights? - Sulphur Man
Pure bling - no practical use whatsoever. Audi's response to BMW's Xenon 'halo' lights.
LED Headlights? - rtj70
The LED lights on many Audi models are actually day-time running lights. They are not headlights.
LED Headlights? - maltrap
On the subject of headlight bulbs which are the best type,that give the best illumanation without peeing off drivers coming the other way.
LED Headlights? - davidh
I'd always choose factory fitted xenon headlamps. They offer a kind a really good wide spread of light and really help to illuminate the edges of roads etc.

I say factory fitted as by law, these headlamp types have to have automatic selflevelling and headlamp washers.

If you ever walk past a car that looks like it has xenons (they look like a round projector) but hasnt got headlamp washers then they arent xenons - just standard bulbdbehind a lens.

Dont get xenon bulbs and fit them to a standard car - they just dazzle cant be as good and may even be illegal I dont know.
LED Headlights? - Mad Maxy
Talking of LEDs, why do so few cars have LED rear lights and indicators - especially as they seem to be standard equipment on buses days and also can be seen on many trucks?

Given the brightness and reliability of LEDs, why do cars still have funny old filament bulbs?

Edited by Mad Maxy on 24/04/2008 at 15:04

LED Headlights? - Hamsafar
Mad Maxy, I think it's because the LEDs are more expensive, they need voltage regulators as the brightness of LEDs changes drastically with small voltage changes compared to filaments and also, they flash on and off at about 50-100Hz so that they can be made to appear brighter without damaging them. What is more, they usually only have one power supply and the lights are switched on and off by CANBUS signals.
LED Headlights? - Pugugly
(they look like a round projector)

The Roomster has these, look close and you see the legend "bi-halogen" written within the lamp. Which struck me as quite funny, you'd have to own a Skoda to understand that and not be ashamed. I thinks its "unashamed modesty"
LED Headlights? - Mad Maxy
Oh, thanks Hamsafar.

(BTW, I keep thinking your first name must be Abu. :-))