New Polo or New Corolla - Jason
In about 2-3 months my wife wants to purchase a new car to replace her extremely reliable 1992 Daihatsu Charade TD which she has owned since new.

Two cars are currently on her list:
VW Polo 1.2 S 5 door
Toyota Corolla 1.4 T2 5 door

Both are approximately £11,300 (you have to add about £1000 to the Polo to bring it up to the spec of the Corolla)

We have driven the Polo and are impressed with the build and the drive of it. However, the 3 cylinder engine did sound slightly course.
We have sat in the Corolla and we are very impressed with the layout and the overall build quality, but we have yet to find a garage who have a 1.4 to test drive.

We intend to keep the car for approx. 5-8 years.

My heart says the Polo, but my head says go for the Corolla!!!

If anybody has any views, they would be very welcome.

Perhaps you may have another suggestion - our criteria is as follows:-

5 door small hatch
Safe
Reliable
Good residuals
Approximately £11,000

Thanks

Jason

PS - Do you think the VW Golf 1.6 S is worth an extra £1000 at £12,190

PPS - Slightly reluctant to go for import

New Polo or New Corolla - Steve Brautigan
If you like th Polo, how about the Skoda Fabia?

Exactly the same car underneath and your'll save your self £££. Unless of course you are worried about the badge on the bonnet....

Let us know what you decide on.
New Polo or New Corolla - Andy P
If you're going to keep it that long, then I'd say the Corolla is the best. It's unlikely to ever break down, and friends I know who have Toyotas swear by them, especially the service they get from the dealers.

Andy
New Polo or New Corolla - <0.One%
Are you comparing like with like?

Is the Polo not in the same class as a Yaris?

And I would have thought that the Corolla was in the same class as a Golf.

If that is the case, then you are really saving a great deal with a Toyota model - compared to the eqivalent VW model with extras to make up the same equipment levels.

If you really want the Polo, then remember that the Skoda Fabia is virtually the same as the new Polo. It has had the benefit of a few years experience to iron out any problems, and has won the What Car Best Small Car awards for two years. I would choose the Fabia.
New Polo or New Corolla - jud
For reliablity chose the Toyota, chaps i work with have had many problems with VW cars