95 1.3 Central locking fault - the-old-gaffer
My problem is I can't lock the car at all. This is a 5 door model, and is key operated.

When the key is turned on the drivers door, only the motor on the drivers door operates.
When the key is turned on the passenger door, all the motors operate except the motor on the drivers door. Either way the car stays unlocked. I suspect the fault may be on the drivers door? I think the system is locking and then unlocking again due to a fault?

I have had the panel off the drivers door only:
There is a switch assembly round the lock barrel which I have tested. Also there is a switch on the bottom of the motor assembly which I have tested. As the motor assembly is integral with the door catch, I have had to fit it back on the car for now.

Recently, we had a flat battery due to a broken cable on the alternator. I noticed that I was unable to lock the car manually without 12v power. Is this correct? I assumed that I would be able to lock the front doors with the key without power.

Any help would be appreciated.
95 1.3 Central locking fault - Screwloose

A common problem is corrosion of the rotary connector plug between door and body.

The lower pins, carrying the c/locking signals, disintegrate.
95 1.3 Central locking fault - the-old-gaffer
Just had a look at the car, and crud all over the socket - what a crazy place for a connector!
Given it a good clean and a spray with WD but no joy. Left it unplugged for now - at least the car can now be locked manually on the drivers side. The central locking now works ok on the rest of the car, so the problem is definitely on that door. Will look at it when I have more time.
Thanks for the help, Screwloose.

By the way, my first time on this forum. I read your comment on Haynes which caused some trouble. People can be a bit sensitive sometimes! Haynes is good advice though. Most of the essential data is there, and if you are a beginner there are lots of tips. After all, if you can't spot an oil filter, you won't know to clean the seating, lubricate the seal, not to over tighten etc , and Haynes will tell you this.