Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Optimist
This morning's paper has a story about a man who'd held a licence for 11 years but never driven on a motorway or dual carriageway.

He got on to the M4 in the wrong direction and after five and a half miles hit another car head on killing the driver and seriously injuring the three passengers. He pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and was sentenced to four and a half years in jail.

I'm not sure how anyone benefits from this. Any thoughts on a more appropriate way of dealing with it?

By coincidence Abu Izadeen (ne Trevor Brooks) was also sentenced to four and a half years in jail yesterday for crimes relating to terrorism carrying a maximum of a life sentence.

I can't help feeling there's somethng wrong somewhere.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - b308
So:

- He had 4 1/2 miles to realise he was going the wrong way
- He ignored No Entry signs
- He never took Motorway Driving Lessons (assumed, as you said he'd never driven on a motorway before)

A car is a lethal weapon if used incorrectly - I'd have said he should have had enough experience in 11 years of driving to realise he was in the wrong and enough time to stop the car before he did any damage - but he didn't and he killed one and seriously injured three others...

No, I don't think that it was harsh...
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - adverse camber
Quite right.

One of them is an attention seeking oaf who has not actually killed anyone and may have mental health problems.

The other ignored signs, drove with disregard for many peoples safety and then killed and caused serious harm to a number of people.

Could we have sensible threads instead of the drivel please?
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Roger Jones
I think the issue presented is whether jail is the best remedial treatment for this incapable and dangerous individual. That is an intelligent question, not drivel. It's not easy to answer, so should benefit from thoughtful exchanges of views, which is what this place is all about.

A life ban from driving is surely appropriate, and some form of sustained mental-health care seems needed.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - FP
"Could we have sensible threads instead of the drivel please?"

I'm sorry, but I think that comment is out of order. "Drivel" suggests the OP's point was worthless.

It seemed to me to be something worth thinking about, even if many of us come to the conclusion the sentence handed down was correct. I thought, too, that the OP raised it in a thoughtful way.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Pugugly
It's a fair question - and one that deserves debating, the room needs to pose questions like this as it affects us all. No need to be quite so nasty to the OP :-)
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - zm
Quite right.
One of them is an attention seeking oaf who has not actually killed anyone and
may have mental health problems.
The other ignored signs drove with disregard for many peoples safety and then killed and
caused serious harm to a number of people.
Could we have sensible threads instead of the drivel please?

So Adverse Camber, you can honestly say that you have never done anything stupid (unintentional or otherwise), when behind the wheel that could ultimately have resulted in another road users death? And if you had killed someone yourself, am I to take it that you would gladly volunteer to do 10 years inside to pay for your mistake?
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - pendulum
What he did was very dangerous and stupid and it ended someone's life, and ruined many others. What do you mean by a more appropriate way of dealing with it? As if prison isn't cosy enough as it is, am I to understand that you are inviting ideas on a softer way of dealing with him?

In addition to the sentence rather than in place of, he should have his license taken away for life, and an idea of mine: earnings capped for life. A lifelong punishment for taking away a life seems suitable to me. I don't know why they don't introduce such a scheme, it would make the young footballers, boxers and other celebrities think twice about their untouchable status.
< snip > No need, thanks. PG

I'm as puzzled as anyone else by this crash. I don't readily see how you can not know you're on a motorway going in the wrong direction. But we've all seen the cop and camera shows on TV where that does happen.

Trouble is I don't readily see how the other driver could be unaware of a vehicle coming towards him on the motorway. He's dead so we can't find out.

The point of my question, I suppose, is about sentencing in different cases and about the appropriateness of ruining another life by prison when four have already been ruined.

Hope that's not too much in the way of drivel for you to cope with, AC.

Edited by PoloGirl on 19/04/2008 at 12:58

Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - madf
Suppose he got off with a six month suspended sentence.
Some idiot then decides you can get away with it and does it killing another 4..

What do you do then?

As Voltaire said "pour encourager les autres" .. to discourage the others:-)

Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - daveym
>>the appropriateness of ruining another life by prison when four have already been ruined.

Exactly; I've not read much beyond this post either because it sums it up quite well for me.

Prison should only be for crimes of malice. Sure the guy deserves some punishment but I don't see how prison will solve anything - at most a short sentence, but surely the guilt of killing others when no malice was involved is punishment enough.

The vengeance fans out there will say lock him up and throw away the key. What good's that when our prison system is so full a terrorist gets the same four and a half years?

The real issue to address here is the man's mental state and of course his suitability to drive any time in the distant future.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Avant
I'm with you there, Optimist. The prison population is already hugely excessive and our prisons are bursting. Surely crimes of violence should be the ones to earn prison sentences (although I know what a difficult subject this is in relation to young offenders - let's not get too involved with this on a motoring forum).

Fraudsters should be stripped of their assets; dangerous drivers should be banned for long periods (I'd say life in cases like this) and fined as heavily as possible - possibly community service might be appropriate in some cases. 'Let the punishment fit the crime' is a cliche (made famous in The Mikado) but it does make sense. The right punishment here needs to be both a deterrent and a protection for innocent people which might come onto contact with the offender. This man needs to be kept off the road forever, not kept at the taxpayer's expense.

By the way, perhaps the mods would consider adding 'drivel' to the swear filter. It isn't fair to describe someone's opinion thus, even if you disagree with it.

Madf - just seen your post: I agree we need a deterrent but a life ban could be much more effective.

Edited by Avant on 19/04/2008 at 13:10

With prisons so full, and sentences so pitifully low anyhow, I can't understand how there can still be people out there saying the criminal justice system is too harsh. Practically the only way you get put in prison now is for killing someone (which is exactly what this guy did).

Instead of talking about if jail is the right thing, let's talk about how the government is not protecting us by locking up the dangers within our society, and how scandalous that is! Someone in our family was robbed of a lot of goods recently, by a career criminal with over forty theft convictions, someone who shouldn't even have been out in the first place, and all he got was a suspended sentence. He's allowed out again and he might rob you next!

This driver got 4 years, so probably out in less than two. I do appreciate the difference that this guy probably did not intend to kill someone or drive the wrong way, so it is not as if he is likely to reoffend the moment he is released, but still - what about the family of his victims, think about them? Wouldn't letting him off scott free with some ridiculous community punishment just rub salt in to open wounds? The feeling that the person who took their loved one away is being *punished*, is important.

Edited by pendulum on 19/04/2008 at 13:25

Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Grahamy
I am quite shocked by this.
One guy was completely stupid and irresponsible and took someone's life by accident. He never set out to harm anyone. A life ban and a much smaller sentence would have been enough punishment.

The other actively supported and funded the taking of life and got the same sentence. How can that be justice?
The other actively supported and funded the taking of life and got the same sentence.
How can that be justice?

It's not.
But it is not that the driver should have got a lesser sentence - the terrorist sympathiser should have got a longer one.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - ifithelps
Grahamy,

It's all consequences, the other guy didn't kill anyone.

If I threaten to kill Mr A, I could get locked up for making threats to kill.

If I shot and killed Mr A, I would get a much harsher sentence for murder/manslaughter.

Had the driver in this case caused the same accident, but no one had died, he would have been charged with dangerous driving - maximum penalty two years.

Someone's dead and it's death by dangerous driving - maximum penalty 16 years.

Consequences.
One guy was completely stupid and irresponsible and took someone's life by accident.

I would say that it was not "by accident" - that would imply that it was "one of those things" like a blow-out or skidding on oil which may not be the driver's fault - in this case he would seem to have driven past a No Entry sign to get onto the motorway and then driven several miles the wrong way before hitting something - to me that is not "by accident"!
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - adverse camber
If the original post had consisted only of the first three paragraphs then I would have accepted it as a valid motoring question. I would still have reservations over discussing a case on which we do not have the full details - only an 'executive summary'.

However my main objection is the linkage to the other trial with the implication that a terrorist is getting an easy ride while a motorist is being persecuted. Have I misinterpreted this? It seem to fit with the OP's other recent issues.

I see no reason whatever to link these cases and I stand by my comments on the two cases. In the first a man has killed. In the other so far as I can tell, someone said something offensive.
Fair enough and I agree with your points about the Executive Summary (we know little about the detail of the PSR for instance) I also agree that the comment about the extremist guy, but the accident happened and there it is something that could potentially affect a motorist which why its reasonable to debate here. The debate isn't drivel in principle, there may be issues of drivibility about individual posts which is where the Mods may step in.
(we know little
about the detail of the PSR for instance) >>

PSR - for those unfamiliar with courtspeak - pre-sentence report.

Report prepared by the probation serivce into the defendant's background, also covering issues such as attitude to the offence, remorse, likelihood of reoffending, etc.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - stunorthants26
Jail is very much the right thing.
Clearly this person is a danger to themselves and others - whether or not you have ever driven on a motorway or not has nothing to do with plain common sense.

In this instance though, jail, as a punishment, is for taking the life of another human being in circumstances which were very much in control of the driver.

If nothing else, the relatives deserve to feel justice.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - L'escargot
Jail is very much the right thing.

Even better would be on a chain gang as in Cool Hand Luke. The authorities should teach the offenders to "get their minds right". Our current prison system is too cosy.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - stunorthants26
You really have to work hard to even get into prison, more chance of getting a council house.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Westpig
Jail was correct IMO

If you are too damned stupid to realise you're on the wrong carriageway for the amount of time he was, then you deserve to sit for 2 years and 2.5 months in a comfortable open prison and contemplate it before you come out again. Then maybe next time you won't deprive someone else of their loved one.

As for that other clown jailed on terrorism charges, the problem with that is he didn't get enough bird...but then nowadays very few do.
Sorry about the abbreviation, switched into work mode for a nanosecond.
You really must get out more, PU.

Anyway, I thought you were practising for retirement - you must try harder! It's Saturday!
Well I've tried all week, I've even hidden the Blackberry.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Fullchat
And trying to relive his youth surfing for nostalgic Fords! The abbreviation MLC comes to mind :-)
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Manatee
Hard to say without knowing more - if the offender was being wilfully irresponsible then yes - if he was terrified. panicked, and traumatised by events, as I supect he was, then it's hard to see what purpose is served by locking him up at great expense. I know I would feel differently had it been my family he hit, but that's not the point.

Consequences can't be ignored, but there is plenty of fundamentally criminal, antisocial, and dangerous offending going on that attracts far lighter punishments.

Personally I'd rather we locked up career criminals and terrorists than people who make mistakes, however apparently stupid. "Pour encourager les autres" can hardly apply to non-deliberate behaviour.

Arguably he should not have been given a licence. It was claimed in court that he "showed signs of intellectual impairment", and "didn't understand the consequences of his actions". The judge himself said [no term could ever erase] "the anguish of those relatives of the deceased", but still sentenced him to 4.5 years, half to be served in prison and the remainder on licence.

Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - stuartl
>>>>>>>If you are too damned stupid to realise you're on the wrong carriageway for the amount of time he was, then you deserve to sit for 2 years and 2.5 months in a comfortable open prison and contemplate it before you come out again. Then maybe next time you won't deprive someone else of their loved one.

Absolutely Right.

It wasnt an accident, it was gross stupidity that led to this and claimed innocent people's lives.

To physically get ON a motorway the wrong way must have been difficult when you think about the junction layouts and for that amount of time before he hit someone, did he not realise he was the ONLY one going in that direction????

That level of stupidity is difficult to comprehend but nothing takes away the fact that due to that he has killed innocent people that could be any one of us, our kids or parents etc.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - PhilW
Quote "he "showed signs of intellectual impairment", and "didn't understand the consequences of his actions".
"That level of stupidity is difficult to comprehend "

The two quotes above (Manatee and stuart) make me wonder indeed whether he should be in prison or some other institution - perhaps receiving treatment?

Edited by PhilW on 19/04/2008 at 20:05

The two quotes above (Manatee and stuart) make me wonder indeed whether he should be
in prison or some other institution - perhaps receiving treatment?

It makes me wonder whether he should just be "put down" so that he poses no danger to anybody in the future, nor burdens the public purse with his cost of incarceration. But then I have always been a little to the "right"...
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - stuartl
well I guess a pendulum will always swing to the right, at least 50% of the time anyway

; o )
Adverse Camber said: >> If the original post had consisted only of the first three paragraphs then I would have accepted it as a valid motoring question. I would still have reservations over discussing a case on which we do not have the full details - only an 'executive summary'.

In that case, AC, you don't need to join in, do you, or to describe what I have to say as "drivel", which I regard as a deliberately objectionable choice of term.

As the thread has gone on more details and interesting views have come out. I didn't know the driver now in jail was in some way impaired. Now I know that I'm less surprised, to be honest, there was a guilty plea. Nor did I know that the maximum sentence for causing death by dangerous driving is sixteen years. It's life for the offences of which Mr Izzadeen was found guilty, according to this morning's paper. Both get four and a half years.

I don't think it's too difficult to get onto a dual carriageway going the wrong way. Near where I live it can be, and has been, done more than once in the last few years.

I don't know what anyone else thinks but I would like to see an appeal in this case.

Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Cliff Pope
Prison surely serves a variety of purposes:

1) As a deterent to other people thinking of committing the same offence.

2) As punishment, so that someone will be given the opportunity to realise the seriousness of his offence and to emerge a reformed character.

3) To keep a public danger out of harm's way for a period of time.

4) To satisfy the public's desire for revenge.

I don't think it will take 4 years in prison to convince him that driving the wrong way up a motorway is a bad idea. I don't think that many other motorists are only deterred from trying this by the knowledge that a prison sentence awaits. I don't think if immediately set free he would be likely to repeat the offence.
Therefore in this instance I'd have thought only (4) applied.

Quite. And revenge on the inadequate and afflicted is not civilised
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - GJD
Prison surely serves a variety of purposes:
1) As a deterent to other people thinking of committing the same offence.
2) As punishment so that someone will be given the opportunity to realise the seriousness
of his offence and to emerge a reformed character.
3) To keep a public danger out of harm's way for a period of time.

Indeed. And since allowing a desire for revenge to be satisfied is not something a civilised public should ever be proud of, it is hard to comprehend how a 2 year prison term was deemed appropriate.

In contrast, it is conceivable how any or all of points (1), (2) and (3) might apply to a terrorism-realted crime.
I don't think it's too difficult to get onto a dual carriageway going the wrong
way. Near where I live it can be and has been done more than once
in the last few years.

You said in the OP that it was the M4?
tinyurl.com/6yowu3

A little bit more detail from the South Wales Echo

And by chance a similar tragic event in Court the same week

tinyurl.com/62cyte

Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Sofa Spud
I think jail is appropriate for someone who kills or seriously injures others either through recklessly dangerous driving or through an act of extreme stupidity, as in the case mentioned in the original post.

Where the situation is one of lesser carelessness, even if the consequences are just as bad, the penalty should be less. I'm thinking of instances like if someone runs in the road at the moment your're checking your mirror.

I think permanent driving bans should be used a lot more for dangerous drivers.
I think jail is appropriate for someone who kills or seriously injures others either through
recklessly dangerous driving or through an act of extreme stupidity as in the case mentioned
in the original post.

Why do you think it matters whether somebody is killed or seriously injured? Recklessness or extreme stupidity should not be treated any more lightly just because you happened to get away with it this time.
Where the situation is one of lesser carelessness even if the consequences are just as
bad the penalty should be less. I'm thinking of instances like if someone runs in
the road at the moment your're checking your mirror.

That is not a situation of lesser carelessness. That's a situation of no carelessness at all. If someone runs into the road in front of you and you kill them, and you were driving safely and sensibly (which requires sometimes looking somewhere other than at the road ahead) and could not have avoided them, you don't deserve any penalty at all. You haven't done anything wrong.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Bill Payer
>> A little bit more detail from the South Wales Echo

I think the second case highlights the absurdity of the sentence in the first case. It was stated in court that the driver "doesn?t suffer from a mental illness, but he exhibits features of intellectual impairment,? and that he was ?driving calmly and steadily without any apparent recognition he was doing anything wrong.? It's surely unusual that he'd never driven on a motorway before.

Having said that, I don't know what the right answer is - it would seem he may not have the mental capacity to drive, but who can determine that? Certainly jailing him seems a ridiculous decision.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - gmac
I have not read all the way through the thread (maybe slightly remiss of me before replying) but from the first few answers highlights how easy it is to gain a driving licence in the UK.
I took my test in an area in the UK where there are no motorways.
I now drive daily on autobahns way in excess of UK speed limits and would like to think I drive in a considerate manner to other road users.
Driving is not difficult but PSx has a lot to answer for...
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - tack
Dead is dead, regardless of how death is dished out by the offending party. It is a fair question asked by the poster and requires the wisdom of Solomon to answer. Malice aforethought should always form part of the reasoning behind the sentence in my view. If you deliberately set out to kill someone, you deserve to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. Causing death by dangerous driving is a terrible thing, but is it done with malice aforethought? It is very easy here in the comfort of our living rooms, cup of tea on hand to lynch every miscreant through the power of the internet.

In summary, I don't know what is right, I haven't seen the case papers, I don't know the facts other than what a newspaper says. However, all in all? I do not think that sending the driver away for 30 years serves any purpose. Custodial sentence as punishment? sure, but don't ask me for how long.
What a tragedy. The more facts you hear, the worse it gets. I don't know how you can U-turn on a motorway. Someone else on this forum probably does.

This poor man sounds a bit marginal, at best. We now know he was observed by two CCTV cameras and avoided by a number of vehicles on his way to the accident. He seems to have sort of known what he was doing was wrong and yet not to have fully understood that. And then someone turns up who maybe isn't quick enough in reacting to avoid him.

I don't know what the court is trying to punish. Incapacity? Unfamiliarity? Bad luck? He is never going to re-offend in the rest of any of our lives, I'd guess. Keeping him off the road is surely enough.
Optimist,

You've twice mentioned the inability of someone to react quickly enough to a driver coming the wrong way on a m/way?

Even if both drivers were doing 50mph, which let's face it would be incredibly slow for most m/ways...that's a combined speed of 100mph. The reality is likely to be a bit higher, so still being modest a 120mph closing speed isn't unlikely...

it is not at all reasonable to expect the average driver to cater for that on a m/way.

Fair enough in bright daylight, on a straight road, with no other hazards & things to catch your eye, you might well have a chance of noticing something coming towards you .. but the realities are usually something totally different... which is why m/ways are so dangerous.

imagine cruising along at 70-80mph, catching a slower vehicle and pulling out into lane 3 and meeting someone coming the other way....most drivers would have no chance.

The fact that this man is: a bit simple/a yokel/never been out of the valleys... makes no difference.. he's killed someone and has to pay the price for his own stupidity.

As a secondary issue, what on earth was his mother doing throughout this journey?
And with those words of wisdom, unless anyone has any objection can we draw this to a conclusion ?
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - NARU
In any other industry, a tragedy like this would result in a review of the training and/or certification regime. I think the real criminality is that people don't have regular reviews (not necessarily tests) of their driving and top-up training. It may have helped here, and I think its the only way if we're serious about cutting deaths.
PU,

If we can have 230 - and counting - posts on cheap Colts, why should this topic be artificially curtailed at 45?

These things can get repetitive, but if that's what forum members want to post, so what?

If each thread is given equal treatment in all respects, there can be no arguments and no one can feel hard done by.
Well - the Colt thread doesn't involve any dead innocent victims (who have barely had a mention), that was my only consideration really. Just applying some humanity to the debate.
">> 4) To satisfy the public's desire for revenge.

Indeed. And since allowing a desire for revenge to be satisfied is not something a civilised public should ever be proud of, it is hard to comprehend how a 2 year prison term was deemed appropriate."

Sorry - I beg to differ. "The public's desire for revenge" is not, or should not be, one of the reasons for punishing those who break the law.

The fourth reason, as given above, should be "retribution", not revenge. Retribution is impersonal and is part of the exercise of justice within the rule of law. It is to be seen as an example of fairness, in that the guilty deserve punishment.

Revenge, on the other hand, is personal. It can be one-to-one, or spread beyond that into "mob justice". It leads to feuds and lynching. Quite correctly, a desire for revenge can indeed be described as "not something a civilised public should ever be proud of".

I'm making no comment about the appropriateness of the term of imprisonment in the case being discussed, but trying to point out that the imposition of a severe penalty for a serious breach of the law is not in itself a bad thing - in fact, it's a good thing. You have to decide how serious was this particular breach, and whether the punishment fits the crime.

Edited by ChrisPeugeot on 20/04/2008 at 12:04

The public are not involved in sentencing, its the Probation Service and the Judge. Revenge doesn't feature in the Criminal Justice System in this country. Punishing, rehabilitation, public protection and victim impact do.
Some posts back it was pointed out that I'd said that near me you can get onto a dual carriage way near me heading in the wrong direction and the road in question here was the M4. The "dual carriageway" I'm talking about is an A road, three lanes in each direction, solid central reservation barrier. But, as we now know, this man U turned.

Someone else pointed out that I'd twice commented on the other driver being unable to avoid this man. I was trying to make the point that other people could and did and it was another tragic feature of the accident that the driver of the other car seemingly couldn't and didn't.

Pug sets out the way the criminal justice system works in this country immediately above.

Punishing. How much do you punish people for causing an accident? When there was a train crash at Paddington I don't recall anyone going to jail. Is there an example in a situation like that?

Rehabilitation. This man has some problems. I imagine he may have a hard time in jail. What is the system trying to rehabilitate him from or to?

Public protection. Take his licence off him for ever.

Victim impact. This is an accident. One of those terrible things that just happens in a particular combination of circumstances and events.

Sorry, O, the only reason I raised the M4 bit was that the OP said that it was on the M4 that it happened - as thats a motorway with totally different junctions to a DC then I though it appropriate to mention that it was very different to getting onto the wrong carriageway on a DC.... You can make a left turn onto a DC without passing a No Entry sign, you can't onto a m'way.... I think!!
Victim impact. This is an accident. One of those terrible things that just happens in
a particular combination of circumstances and events.

I don't accept that statement, not in the slightest.

The police nowadays have renamed 'accidents' to 'collisions', because the word accident infers no fault/blame, whereas most of what they have to deal with does have some fault or blame.

I do not see the accident caused by this man was 'one of those things' and a 'genuine accident'. It was a collision caused by a drivers stupidity/ignorance. The person causing this accident has to take responsibility for their actions, which ultimately has killed an innocent man. That is a serious matter, as serious as it can get and needs a major punishment to allow this particular person to reflect on what they've done (to ensure it doesn't happen again) and send out a message to other people who might want to think motoring and road traffic laws can be treated casually (to try to ensure no one else does it).

Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - hxj
Revenge doesn't feature in the Criminal Justice System in this country.>>

Whilst I accept this in the highest principle in which it is meant. It clearly has an impact, you only have to look at comments by politicians, the media and posters on here.

I've already been in trouble for my 'liberal' views on here, but I really cannot see what society gains from sending the individual to prison, other than revenge.

Personally I suspect that, in the widest and broadest sense, the court and social service failed in recognising the real issues here because they were too busy ticking boxes on forms.

I wonder what the sentence would have been with say, PU, as a lawyer for a wealthy university educated middle class driver?
All depends on my circumstances - and the Pre Sentence Report and the Probation Service's assessment on me. Different I would say.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - hxj

PU just to clarify - I didn't mean you personally - but with someone with a completely differnet background with some one like you acting as their lawyer ....
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - nortones2
For his own convenience he flouted the law. On the face of it, the driver was capable of knowing that he was driving dangerously, not just for an instant, but for some time. For that punishment should follow. Not a tap on the wrist.
Revenge
doesn't feature in the Criminal Justice System in this country. Punishing rehabilitation public protection and
victim impact do.

What on earth is victim impact doing on the list? That can only imply that had one or more of the victims in this case not been killed, the sentence might be lighter.

Although perhaps lesser effects at motorway speeds, whether the victims survived or not could have depended amongst other things on what safety features their car had, whether they happened to be young, fit and healthy or elderly and frail, and how quickly the emergency services could get to their location.

To suggest that it is less unacceptable for me to drive in a manner that recklessly endangers other people as long as I only do it outside the local A&E department is lunacy.
A friend of ours is a magistrate and finds sentencing very difficult. I can understand why.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - retgwte
re "The public are not involved in sentencing, its the Probation Service and the Judge. Revenge doesn't feature in the Criminal Justice System in this country. Punishing, rehabilitation, public protection and victim impact do. " fantasy land im afriad, shame on you as a professional or retired legal bod, i used to believe in british fair play and justice, ive been in too many courts now and seen up close so much obvious injustice i have become much more realistic, the public school self selected bunch who inhabit the judiciary are not at all fair and balanced or providing a good public service, thats just fantasy land

as for the bad driver, well go to eastbourne or similar whith high % of retired drivers out way past the age they should have handed their licences back, and see how bad they routinely drive, go do something about them, they kill more people every year than this one individual, and they routinely get let off with it

etc

Do they?! I've never heard of Eastbourne being a hotbed of dangerous killer drivers...

A sweeping generalisation, I feel!

But this guy did kill, didn't he.....
...Killer drivers in Eastbourne getting away with it...

To charge a driver with dangerous driving, or death by dangerous driving where someone is killed, the prosecution have to prove:

'a prolonged period of inattention' and driving 'that falls far short of that of a competent driver'.

The man in this thread ticks both boxes - five miles is prolonged and driving the wrong way along a dual carriageway is 'far short etc '.

Equally, there are cirumstances in which a fatality results when neither of those boxes are ticked - cyclist swerves to miss a drain cover, hit by following car.

Pedestrian knocked over and killed after walking into the path of a reversing car.

In both these cases, the driver was not charged with dangerous driving, but careless, which carries a maximum penalty of a fine.

So both were killer drivers who 'got away with it'.

PS Sorry, retgwte, neither case was in Eastbourne.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Lud
The guy caused deaths and this is something people get punished for if, as in this case, it is very clearly the result of their own voluntary actions. However he is clearly verging on mentally defective, so what is absolutely essential here is a lifetime driving ban, however much or little bird the unfortunate halfwit has to do.

Abu Izadeen is a moronic, unpleasant loudmouth of a commonplace sort. He is mischievous and also deserves a spanking. But the two offences can't be compared. And justice as always has remarkably little to do with any of it.

Edited by Lud on 20/04/2008 at 15:33

Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - TurboD
Has anyone mentioned the deterrant effect?
I belive that is the purpose of sentences to some extent. Do not forget , every time you set out as a driver, you could take an action that leads you to prison, something that no middle class person ( that inhabits these fora) would ever intentional ream of doing.
So be careful, all the time, especially with drink which is a sure quick way to prision.
Seems a fair deterrant to me, and will keep me looking both ways at juctions etc.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Cliff Pope
Has anyone mentioned the deterrant effect?
I belive that is the purpose of sentences to some extent.

I did - it's my Item 1.

You mean there are sane people who quite seriously contemplate driving 5 miles up the M4 in the wrong carriageway, but thankfully are deterred by the prospect of a 4 year prison sentence?
Would 2 years not deter them ? Are there perhaps people whom only a 10 year sentence would deter?
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - oldlag
anyone who drives like a lunatic and as a consequence kills another person should not get 3 months in jail
they should get life
because they have killed someone due to their actions and as such sholud do life
ask someone who had such a victim in their family
life give them life
if i ran a company and was negligent and a worker got killed I go to jail
IF I drive my car and am negligent and someone gets killed I too should go to jail for that also

You don't seem to be taking any account of the mental ability of this person - isn't there something in law which states that in order to be convicted of a crime, a person has to be aware that it is a crime? Would be interested in PU's opinion.
We don't know all the details of this "crime" - was the driver mentally impaired (judge seems to imply it)? In which case some responsibility lies with those allowing him to have a licence. Also, does putting a mentally impaired person in prison and punishing him for a "crime" he did not know (?) he was committing raises questions about the purpose of prison.
Not trying to stick up for this bloke - just posing questions
Phil,

Implied that's all - it suggests that he was of low intellect rather than mentally impaired, there would have been some sort of assessment, probably by the defence and in all likelihood by the Prosecution as well. Too many questions and too few answers in the information as far as the BR Jury is concerned (IMHO)
"Too many questions and too few answers in the information as far as the BR Jury is concerned (IMHO)"
Thanks PU - I agree - and that's why I feel that the "string 'em up" attitude is perhaps a little extreme though I can see why people say it. We don't know enough to form a meaningful opinion of the rectitude of the sentence

Edited by PhilW on 21/04/2008 at 23:47

Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - sdrio
I'd certainly want to see more information before I made any judgement, but it would seem likely that there was some kind of intention to cause havoc here - it's not that easy to get onto the wrong side of a motorway (I'm trying to think of how you'd do it without having to take a 270 degree turn), it has to be pretty obvious that you've done it, and to cause a pileup you've got to get into oncoming traffic.

Unless this was at 3am, the chances of unknowingly doing all that and not realising it for presumably at least 4 - 6 minutes is stretching credibility.

Assuming any of that is true, the sentance would have reflected these 'aggravating' factors. It would probably have been assumed he took some or all of these actions on purpose.

Sounds like a fair sentance to me. If he had been a confused 80 year old doing 38mph in a 1983 Fiesta, I doubt he'd have gone down at all.

[edit] Er, maybe not a 270 degree turn. 30 degree? Awkward, anyway.

Edited by sdrio on 25/04/2008 at 02:46

Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Grahamy
Some brainless twit nearly killed me a year or so back doing the same thing on a dual carriageway. I was in the inside lane passing a truck on a long sweeping bend when a car suddenly appeared in front coming towards me.
I had to jump on brake and pull in behind truck to avoid her. She was around 58-60 and this was midday.
I would have been happier if he got 2 years for his brainless act and a lifetime ban.
At least then he will never be in a position to kill anyone else.
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - tintin01
I thought the sentence was fair. I don't agree it was an 'accident'. He maybe didn't deliberately set out to kill someone or to deliberately drive dangerously, but having ended up on the motorway he doesn't seem to have taken any great steps to get out of the situation. He drove for 5 miles. He has killed one person, put two in wheelchairs. The judge will have had a full background report on his mental state, he gave a 'no comment' interview to the police. He will do half his sentence.

I agree that longer bans are appropriate too - the trouble is that driving bans are often ignored. How would people feel if a driver banned for killing someone, broke the ban and injured someone else?
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - welshlad
im sorry but you cant mistakenly drive the wrong way up a motorway with out realising it especially getting 5 miles without spotting somethings amiss if its in the day time the three lanes of beeping flashing traffic is a dead giveaway and the incredible sharp turning required to get on to the wrong sliproad must have been a hint
there are people from rural backgrounds that are frighteningly unworldly, however, even so, they still have a responsibility to their fellow citizens... and the law doesn't allow for their ignorance... and rightly so.

hopefully this publicised case might make others who have limited knowledge of motorways think more carefully...and ensure that another innocent man doesn't lose his life.. and other innocent people don't have substantially life changing injuries for the rest of their days

if of course it is an unworldly outlook that is the cause of this
Dreadful accident - is jail the right thing? - Roger Jones
What I wonder is whether such a sustained reckless act lies in the domain of criminality or insanity. If the latter, then jail does not seem appropriate and the elimination of the hazard -- lifetime driving ban -- and prolonged remedial psychiatric treatment does seem appropriate.
A Crown Court in North Wales also seem to think its the right thing.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/7368639.stm
Hang on. What are you saying is the right thing?

Jail for a professional driver who twice fiddles with his tacho card and drives for 19 hours or banning for life for the bloke who was as familiar with a motorway as he was with the dark side of the moon?
Optimist,

I think what is being said is 'if you drive badly and kill someone you're off to jail' and it matters not if you're unsure of what the moon has on the other side or if your boss is flogging you to death.

it's called taking responsibility for your own actions...and paying the consequences if you get it wrong...

all the hand wringing in the world won't bring people back from the dead, so the only way to deal with that is punishment severe enough to ensure:

A, that person doesn't do it again
B, the severity of the sentence MIGHT cause others willing to risk it, to think again.

What other choice is there? A shrug of the shoulders and an "Oh well, carp happens" "not his fault because he was dim" or "not his fault his boss was pushing him hard".
Driving in modern conditions demands a constant, albeit fairly low-level, exercise of intellect. Quite complex decisions sometimes have to be made quite quickly, and sometimes (if for example a driver finds himself going the wrong way down a slip road onto the wrong carriageway of a motorway) a decision already made has to be urgently reviewed.

Unfortunately the official view is that one size fits all and driving is something that can be done as it were by numbers and colour coding, by people without the brains of a woodlouse or the ability to read road signs. The erroneousness of this view is obvious every time one gets into a car.

Only the thought that I myself might fail them prevents me from suggesting a battery of psychological and intelligence tests for all driving-licence candidates.
once again Lud you've managed to cause me to chuckle on a subject where there usually isn't any humour

I appreciate it is in theory a difficult subject...but...despite not being an expert, i have serious misgivings about the way the subject matter is currently being addressed.. which in my opinion is that of legislate and lower the standards so that even the simpleton can understand it... the problem with that is it allows everyone else to 'go with the flow', rather than actually THINK.

I'd far rather the average driver actually thought for themselves rather than followed officialdom's dictats... but hey ho, that probably makes me a dissident
Westpig

Dissidents are what we need in this country.

I hear what you say about actions and consequences. Death was the result in both of these cases. But one driver was a professional consciously deciding to break the law. The other was hopelessly inexperienced and, as far as I can tell, guilty of a tragic error.

Now that should make a difference when it comes to sentencing.
I watched a Matrix movie on the box in the small hours this morning being kept awake by a harmless but painful impending headache.

In what was basically a farrago of special effects, like nothing so much as a game of Grand Theft Auto VII, there was a very long sequence of a woman on a motorbike hurtling the wrong way up a crowded freeway and getting away with it although the collateral wreckage - virtual of course - was extensive.

While no one over the age of five with a normal intellect would have believed the sequence had actually been staged and photographed, I can't help wondering whether this sort of thing, not just the crazed driving but all the bashing and slashing and shooting, might not inspire some excitable but dim individuals to try the same sort of thing 'at home'.

Not that I favour censorship of course, not for me anyway.

Edited by Lud on 29/04/2008 at 17:50

Sometimes, when I'm overtaken by someone who appears to have everything in life he needs except a brain, I suggest to Mrs O that the person who's just gone by is regarding the other cars as obstacles in an arcade game: simply there to swerve around as he disappears towards a record-breaking score.

Not, I think, what the welsh bloke was up to but an interesting thought for our younger readers.