Computer Related Questions - Volume 152 - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 153 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 152. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found by clicking Here

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/05/2008 at 19:24

Annoying Monitor Problem - Armitage Shanks {p}
From time to time my monitor freezes, ie cannot be scrolled and/or video clips freeze, I think there is a 'click' from somewhere (tower or monitor) and the screen blanks and says "No Signal Input". If I reboot the sytem it all fires up and works OK - until the next time! I guess a new monitor would be a better idea than messing about having the fault diagnosed and repaired when I could get a replacement, with a warranty, for a bit over £100. Any thoughts please?
Annoying Monitor Problem - Baskerville
In any case you need to establish that the monitor is definitely the problem. Can you plug the monitor into another PC and see what happens?
Possibly! Could I connect it to my laptop, which obviously has its own screen? Would the lead I use desktop to monitor work for laptop to monitor, please?
Annoying Monitor Problem - mfarrow
I doubt it's the monitor, they don't 'store' pictures, they refresh circa 60Hz.

It'll be the computer itself. Possibly motherboard, possibly memory, possibly PSU, possibly software. The clicking will be coming from the monitor if it's CRT .
No it is small flat screen LCD. When the crash occurs the main computer stays running OK, but obviously without a monitor it isn't possible to see what it is doing!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 19/04/2008 at 11:09

Annoying Monitor Problem - adverse camber
I would be thinking video card/drivers as a starting point.

possible that something is trying to switch the monitor into a mode that it doesnt support - too fast a refresh/too high resolution perhaps?

Edited by adverse camber on 19/04/2008 at 11:11

Annoying Monitor Problem - J Bonington Jagworth
"too fast a refresh"

This can be a problem with LCD's. There is little point in running them over 60Hz, as they don't react fast enough to flicker. You can check (and reset) the refresh value by right-clicking on the desktop, then going to Properties/Settings and looking for 'adapter' details. Try setting the refresh rate to an actual value (60) rather than 'optimal'.

This assumes you are using Windows, of course.. :-)
Thank you gentlemen! After 2 monitor crashes in 20 minutes I haven't had one in 48 hours! Some intermittent gremlin I guess. I will work thru your tips and comments.
Shutting down a computer - L'escargot
I seem to have got into the habit of disconnecting from t'internet before shutting down. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to doing this?
Shutting down a computer - adverse camber
If you don't turn the internet off properly it might leak out and ruin the carpet.

serious answer? depends what you mean by 'disconnecting' and how you actually connect. If you are using a modem or usb adsl device then nope - makes no difference.
Shutting down a computer - Pugugly
Yes those Google stains are hard to get out. The only problems are if you're using a wireless router is the actual power consumption of the unit and someone piggybacking your signal.
Shutting down a computer - SpamCan61 {P}
The only problems are if you're using a wireless router is the actual power consumption >> of the unit and someone piggybacking your signal.

Trouble is, if you're on a BT ADSLmax line, and you make a habit of switching your wireless router / modem jobbie off, the BT gear at the exchange thinks your line has gone dodgy and drops your connection speed to 135k. It happened to me and it took 2 days to get the speed back up to my normal 4500k. I was not a happy camper :-/
Shutting down a computer - L'escargot
.........depends what you mean by 'disconnecting' and how you actually connect.

I have Orange broadband and a Speedtouch 330 modem. I disconnect from t'internet by right clicking on the internet icon on the taskbar (?), which gives me a menu, and then I left click on Disconnect. A colleague once said that you should shut things down in the reverse order to which you opened them.
Shutting down a computer - adverse camber
Not an issue with this sort of thing.

As PU suggests things would be slightly different with an external wireless router.

The only benefit of manually disconnecting like this that I can think of would be that it might help you notice if you get infected with some virus or trojan which tried to call home while your connection was off.
Shutting down a computer - Stuartli
My wired modem router is permanently connected whether the computer system is on or off (i.e. I don't switch the router off).
"Editing marks..." - bintang
....or this what I have named them. I am using Word and XP and must have pressed the wrong key, as paragraph marks and spacing dots are appearing on all my documents, new or old, although they don't appear on the printed versions. They persist in all Views except Reading Layout (which I don't use). The Help facility is no help. How can I get rid of them please?
"Editing marks..." - Bromptonaut
No word on this PC so cannot give chapter and verse.

Should be a button on one of the toolbars looking rather like a reversed P. Deselect it.
"Editing marks..." - Stuartli
See:

word.mvps.org/FAQS/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

"Editing marks..." - bintang
Both spot on. Many thanks.
Picture Resizer - Robbie
I'm sure it was here that someone recommended FS Resizer. I've done a Forum search and haven't found the post. Can anyone help with the URL please?
Picture Resizer - Pugugly
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=51...9

Any help ?
Picture Resizer - Robbie
Thanks PU but that's not the one. It's quite possible I got the info elsewhere.

Unfortunately, when I downloaded this software I didn't save it as a zip file but clicked on "run" to install. A friend wants a copy and I'm not able to send it to her. The software is called FSResizer, and Google doesn't bring it up. It's a nifty bit of work and enables you to resize a whole batch of pics in one go.
Picture Resizer - Stuartli
This is the one I often use (PIXResizer):

bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

or there's also the wonderful Irfanview:

www.irfanview.com/

Don't forget the plug-ins if you use it. Also features an MP3 player and other goodies.

Both freeware.

Edited by Stuartli on 20/04/2008 at 21:00

Picture Resizer - SpamCan61 {P}
It's here guv:-

www.faststone.org/FSResizerDownload.htm
Picture Resizer - Robbie
Thanks for that. I have sent it to her but it's no use as she has a Mac.

Anyone know of a similar resizer suitable for a Mac?
Picture Resizer - Baskerville
Imagewell:

xtralean.com/IWOverview.html

It's the best quick image editor I've used on any platform. Sadly the company no longer offers a free version, but $19 is well worth it.

Of course she could also use iPhoto, which comes with every Mac and is a piece of cake to use.
Picture Resizer - Hamsafar
Anyone know of a similar resizer suitable for a Mac?

To resize images, you can use the iPhoto part of the iLife suite that should come with the mac, just select the images in the gallery, choose File>Export and choose the relevant size (small/medium/large/custom) and options and where you want the small images saving to. You can also download plugins such as for Facebook, Myspace and Flickr so that you can upload them to these sites automatically.
Why can't I edit a post? - L'escargot
I've tried editing posts on several occasions but I always get an error message similar to this ~

"Database error: Invalid SQL: UPDATE posts SET subject='Shutting down a
computer', body='I seem to have got into the habit of disconnecting from
t\'internet before shutting down. Are there any advantages to doing this?
Or is it just a waste of time and effort? ', date_modified='2008-04-19
10:13:56', modified_by='L'escargot' WHERE id = 712556
MySQL Error: 1064 (You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual
that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near 'escargot' WHERE id = 712556' at line 1)
Session halted."

I also get an error message "You have an error in your SQL syntax ..........." if I try to alter my Forum Options.

Any suggestions?

I have XP Home with SP2, and IE7. I regularly clean up my computer using Ccleaner.
Why can't I edit a post? - Dynamic Dave
Any suggestions?

The fault was at our end. Should now be resolved - details provided by email.
The fault was at our end. Should now be resolved - details provided by email.

Thanks Dave. Also my thanks to Stephen Khoo for his rapid response. I've tried editing my Forum Options and that's now OK. I'll try editing this post and in the unlikely event that I can't I'll get back to you again.

Yep, it's all hunky dory now. Thanks again.

Edited by L'escargot on 21/04/2008 at 12:39

Why can't I edit a post? - adverse camber
Basically, the dbase developer didn't check for special characters in usernames. The ' in your name is a string terminator and caused a syntax error in the command.

Which raises the interesting possibility of a user called Hi';delete from posts where id=id;
The ' in your
name is a string terminator and caused a syntax error in the command.

Correct. The problem has now been rectified.
Can't defrag drive - borasport20
4GB hard drive, windows XP, 39% free space, but files are extremely fragmented.

Defrag recommends that the disk be defragged, but it just comes up with a list of files which it can't defrag, none of which are massive

what is going on ?

cheers
Can't defrag drive - billy25
Possibly these files are in-use by the "system" at the time you are trying to de-frag, have you tried running "Scandisk" then booting into "safe-mode" and de-fragging from there?

Billy
Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - normd2
I'm looking to buy a cheap laptop for my daughter and have seen an Acer Extensa 4220 for under £300. I've previously been told to avoid Celeron processors - is this still sound advice?
Buy or avoid?
Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - rtj70
A Celeron is still a cut down processor, I would personally avoid but it depends on what you're using the laptop for. Also memory as always has also been important.

If it's for running Windows Vista I would not go for a Celeron. And with the Intel Core Duo processors pretty cheap (and a laptop is more than the processor) the price difference may be smaller than you think e.g. a quick look at my local place (a mile away):

tinyurl.com/4uu3lo

This is an Acer Extensa 5620 with a Core Duo (not Core 2!) but running Vista it really needs more than 1024Mb RAM.

Edited by rtj70 on 24/04/2008 at 17:54

the pc is for the usual teenager stuff ie networking sites, messenger, email etc and maybe even a bit of homework ie Office applications. She can't stand pc games so it doesn't need high end capability.
If not high end and not Vista then a Celeron ought to be fine. If Vista then more than needing a better processor you needs loads more memory! The same laptop with Linux would be speedy... bloatware from MS is to blame :-(

EDIT: I was not thinking high end when you said Celeron and laptop (latest PC games would never run on that now and maybe not on mid-range desktops too!). But if this is Vista it might run like a two legged sheep.

Edited by rtj70 on 24/04/2008 at 18:36

Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - Stuartli
If you decide on a dual core lap top (they are becoming remarkably cheap), check first how hot it gets in use before buying....:-)
Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - Pugugly
I have a Gateway dual core (bought on a whim in Tesco) its an excellent all round machine. yes it does get hot, particularly when being used in battery mode.
Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - colinh
Have an Asus laptop with Celeron 1.8 - 2gb ram - running Vista Home Basic (with service pack 1 which doesn't seem to have made much difference). Use it as an "entertainment" centre driving a large LCD screen and fed wi-fi from the main computer/drive or from an USB TV tuner. Used for basic Office stuff and TV when away from home. No problems.
Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - sdrio
Those dual cores really do pump out heat. One of the machines I use is a Mac that has 2 dual core processors, which sits under my desk. It's like sitting over a radiator.

Just thinking - can you still buy machines with XP? Nobody has a good word to say about Vista, but XP is more than adequate for your average teenager needs, and will run just fine on a celeron chip.
It is still possible to get XP especially on lower end computers - at the moment at least.
Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - colinh
"Microsoft has announced that it will continue to sell XP Home edition for another two years on ultra low cost laptops such as the Eee PC.
Microsoft was originally slated to stop selling XP on 30 June, but as the emerging class of diminutive laptops don't have the necessary hardware to support Vista, XP has been granted an extension until 2010." Computer Shopper this month
Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - Falkirk Bairn
I ahve been looking at low end machines as well. I am of the opinion that Celeron is adequate for what I want - minm of 2Gb memory and i would be looking for graphics card with its own memory and not sharing the main memory of the system. A bit more expensive but a few quid well spent in my opinion - £350-£400 should be enough to get a reasonable brand name.

It is more important to get a brand recognisable brand name with a lLaptop than a Desktop. With desktops parts can be generic and work - with a laptop they require much more Engineeering and many parts are custom.

A no Brand Laptop and custom parts is a high risk when ut of warranty.
Try Morgancomputers. Usually have some good branded deals.
Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - Whisky
Brand is fairly irrelevent, if you want a desktop build it yourself, if you want a laptop get a dell.

At the end of the day Dells are designed for people who know nothing about computers, i.e they are easy to reset to factory settings. Only people who know nothing about computers want a Laptop :-)

The only reason anyone needs a laptop is if they are always out of the office.

If a computer is for home use buy a desktop, it doesn't need to move.

Also in all fairness you do get a fairly decent laptop for your money from dell.

If a computer is for home use buy a desktop, it doesn't need to move.

Bit inflexible these days. A Networked laptop lets me have iPlayer and HJ anywhere I want it without fuss.
Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - Whisky
Bit inflexible these days. A Networked laptop lets me have iPlayer and HJ anywhere I
want it without fuss.

Maybe, being a geek and all, collecting computers and spreading the old ones round the house has left me rather spoiled, never more then 15 feet away from a pc in my house :-) (the wiring gets a mess though SWMBO keeps getting the hoover caught on them)

Although even if i just had one it would still be a desktop, more powerful and easier to upgrade/repair.

Also laptops make you infertile :)
Involuntary twitch.
Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - Baskerville
Also laptops make you infertile :)

You say that as if it's a bad thing. If I didn't have a laptop I'd have ten kids all with different mothers.
thanks for the replies - i've ordered it now and an extra 1Gb of RAM is only £22.
Are Celeron CPUs a bad buy? - J Bonington Jagworth
"Dells are designed for people who know nothing about computers, i.e they are easy to reset to factory settings."

I know a bit about computers, but my partner's Dell L400 laptop (bought s/h recently) refuses to allow anyone to change the boot order, so we have to use F12 and tell it to use the hard disc, as the first option is 'removable drives'. The Boot menu in the BIOS is greyed out and warns that it isn't modifiable 'in user mode' with no clue as to what other modes might be available! Factory Settings make no difference to this, and although others have reported similar problems in various forums, I've yet to find a solution.

On the basis of this admittedly small sample, I think I would recommend anything other than Dell!

TinyURL blocked by ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker - gmac
As the title says, since installing ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker, the TinyURL link at the top does not work for me.
No other message is provided by ZoneAlarm, I only get a blank screen and the option to ignore the blocker - which I am reluctant to do without knowing why it is blocking the link.
TinyURL blocked by ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker - Dynamic Dave
gmac, zonealarm is seeing tinyurl as spyware.

Explained a few volumes ago.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=60643&...e
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=60643&...e

I've got my ZA toolbar to ignore it now.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/04/2008 at 20:53

TinyURL blocked by ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker - gmac
Thanks for this.
I didn't cast my net wide enough when I did the Forum search.
Excel date/time question - borasport20
I have a spreadsheet that includes 'date in', 'time in', 'date out' and 'time out'

How can I calculate the elapsed time between 'dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm in' and dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm) out ?

I know what I want to do, but not how to do it
Excel date/time question - colinh
Have the date and time in one column by using Format-Cell-Category/Custom-dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm (the last two are on the drop-down menus) - then one minus the other should give the answer. You may have to play around with the format of the answer column to get it as you want.
Excel date/time question - colinh
PS If you wish to merge existing cells this demo may help:

office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA012004951033.as...3
SD Card recognition - Armitage Shanks {p}
My XP computer will recognise an SD card with photos on it, view, download onto computer etc but my Vista computer says it needs software to recognise the card "Insert the CD etc". However the Vista computer will recognisee the card if it is put into the camera and then the camera is connected to the computer. Is this just one of the 'bugs' of Vista? Obviously it isn't a major problem ie I can get at my images but it seems a bit strange. Also, I bought a 4Gb card and nothing I use would allow me to use it. Couldn't format it, camera and TomTom didn't recognise it - perhaps some stuff won't take high capacity cards?
SD Card recognition - colinh
I think it is a feature of Vista -

support.microsoft.com/kb/939772

Not sure whether it has been resolved will SP1

SD Card recognition - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks colinh - that identifies and admits to the problem - I will live with it rather than try the 'fix'
wireless networking - borasport20
I have borrowed, from work, a new toshiba laptop (XP) and am trying to connect to a 3com 11g wireless network router that uses MAC addressing

prior to setting up the router to accept the mac address, the toshiba could see the network, but not connect. - after, it could connect to the router, and I can access the router wirelessly from the toshiba, but any attempt to browse the net gets 'IE cannot display the web page'

any ideas ?
wireless networking - Citroënian {P}
Hi Mike,

Does anything else connect to the Internet the same way ~(ie can you connect to the internet using this router using another computer?

If you can I would check two things on the work computer. Make sure the Network connection is getting an IP address

start - control panel - network connections - right click the wireless one, select properties then IP (or IPv4) then properties of that. With luck it should use DHCP so both boxes should be set to reflect this (automatically obtain IP address/DNS )

If you've had to change this setting, right click the network connection again and click repair - this should get you an IP address.

If it's a works laptop it may be using a proxy you can't see from home.

In Internet Explorer, tools, options, Connection settings, LAN settings - make sure there is no proxy enabled, apply, quit, reboot IE.

Bit of caution though, if you have manual DNS, IP or proxy it could be that you need these for using the laptop at work. These settings should be automated at work, but if you change the settings and it stops working in the office, the IT crowd may be upset. Best take biscuits in this case!

hth
Lee
wireless networking - rtj70
Hoep you realise all Ethernet networking uses MAC addresses - that's how it works at a low level ;-)

Anyway... what I would do is temp turn off MAC address filtering to see if it works. If yes then add the MAC address to the allowed list and try again.

And then report back.
wireless networking - rtj70
Another thought is the laptop is setup to use a proxy server for the web-browser by default and as this is not on the works network it needs turning off.
wireless networking - smokescreen
If its a 3com router, and hasnt been updated in a while, do so immediately using the LAN cable. I spent 10mins trying to configure this dam thing over a wireless 3g connection realising it was the (incredibly immature) firmware in the end. An update sorted it all out in one shot.
wireless networking - billy25
Are you by chance running two firewalls? - one on the router and one on the laptop? - if so try disabling the router one.

Billy
not had chance to check everything at the moment.
The firmware on the router is pretty much up to date, and the firewall on the laptop is disabled.
I had been logging on to the domain on the laptop, so I have tried logging on to the laptop itself - no difference if I log on as my user, but when I logged on as administrator I still couldn't access the net through my router, but there is an unprotected wireless network in the area and I managed to access the net through that !!
lets see what work have to say later.

cheers, chaps
Techman at work has examined the chicken entrails, muttered the words of hocus-pocus and abracadabra, and DNS settings - we'll see if he's right when I get home
wireless networking - J Bonington Jagworth
"we'll see if he's right when I get home"

Was he? I wondered if your home computer was running Vista - I've had some trouble getting it and XP to talk to each other and I ended up having to install a fix from MS. Another undocumented feature of Vista...
wireless networking - Stuartli
>>www.majorgeeks.com/AbiWord_d5325.html>>

My youngest offspring is an IT networking specialist consultant.

His opinion of Vista for much of its intention is not fit to repeat in a family friendly motoring forum...:-)
wireless networking - colinh
Appears that Bill Gates agrees with him:

"Windows 7 could be arriving much sooner than anticipated, according to none other than Bill Gates. [He] told the audience: "Sometime in the next year or so we will have a new version," It's not clear whether Gates was referring to the full commercial launch of the new operating system or merely a beta version, but either way it seems the development of Windows 7 is progressing rapidly. Last month it was revealed that Microsoft had sent a test version of Windows 7 to the US government, indicating that the operating system is already in a working state. " Computer Shopper 7Apr08

...and as we know, Microsoft are never late with their product launches!

wireless networking - Baskerville
Microsoft had sent a test version of Windows 7 to the US government indicating that
the operating system is already in a working state. " Computer Shopper 7Apr08

It's probably Linux. Or one of the BSD Unixes, like the one Apple uses. If they have any sense, that is.

;-)
wireless networking - smokescreen
To the suprise of many, Windows Server 2008 (based on Vista core) has been found by several people to be a LOT smoother and responsive than Vista itself (10-20% improvement in application domain). Might be some hope yet.
sorry for the delay - i seem to have missed these replies.
Yes, it is working now, and no the new laptop does not have Vista on it. It did when it was delivered ;-)

I think I mentioned that we use MAC adddressing - this is because it was the only way we could get SWMBO's vista laptop to access the network

Vista - what is it good for ?
HP Image Zone software query - Martin Wall
Hi

Am using HP image zone software v5.x

Have scanned in an image and want to add a text box over it. The online manual states:

"The Text tool allows you to add an annotation object that consists of text in a transparent box. After drawing the text box, you can edit the text, move the corner nodes to change the shape of the box, move the entire object, or change the object properties (such as color or font).

To add a text object
1 In the control area, click Text.

The pointer changes to a +. "

I see no such option. Any ideas? Thanks...
HP Image Zone software query - J Bonington Jagworth
If you've got Word available, I would use that to annotate your image. Copy and paste the scanned image into a blank document (or use Insert/Picture) which you can then resize with the corner nodes, then add a 'text box' (Insert/Text Box) in which the text, background and border can be any colour, and the box elements can be made invisible.

I use an HP scanner and software, but have never explored the built-in editing options, simply because Word does it so well. Most photo editors can add text, but because they are 'bitmap' images, the text is as well, and will look blocky if enlarged (and can't usually be edited).
free software wanted - enfield freddy
as a long time "lurker" , doing a lot of reading , I wonder if anyone can help.

I am after a shareware/free program , that will allow me to have a timed slideshow on my webpage.

I go to vintage motorcycle rallys , and often capture 30-40 photo,s of interesting bikes , i would like to upload them onto my website , for other likewise people to view.

i am after a proggy , that changes to the next picture after a pre-set time.

thanks

alan
free software wanted - TimOrridge
alan,

A quick google came up with this?

www.barelyfitz.com/projects/slideshow/
free software wanted - enfield freddy
thanks tim , i had looked at the java way , its a lot longwinded , and slow to setup , and the piccis are not centreised / pretty backgrounds this is the one i have just done. www.2130tj.co.uk/ i am looking for an automated proggy , and then dump the pics into a directory , then upload the lot to a sub directory on my website,

thsnks

alan
free software wanted - Baskerville
Best bet is to upload the images to flickr or Google Picasa and then take the code they provide to embed static images and/or slideshows in your web page.
free software wanted - billy25
could you not simply create a "Power-point" slideshow and upload that to your chosen destination?

Billy
free software wanted - charlesb
You may already have software which does this. Certainly Adobe Lightroom has this capability - the current version costs money, but the public Beta of v 2.0 is currently free and would allow you to generate very easily, just selecting the photos you want.

labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/ I think it's a flash based slideshow.

Most Photoshop elements versions have some basic webpage viewer.

Other than that, you need to configure a Java applet...
free software wanted - charlesb
Just remembered, Microsoft have an XP Powertoy that will create an HTML Slideshow, ready to upload to your Website...

FREE!!!!!

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xp...x

free software wanted - Stuartli
Apart from charliesb's suggestion, if you have the excellent, highly regarded Irfanview and plug-ins (freeware), the means to create a slideshow including timed advancements is incorporated. There's even an MP3 player..:-)

See: www.irfanview.com
Deletion of history and cookies and it's annoying! - daveyjp
Any ideas why my machine seems to dump all internet history when exiting? All cookies for remembering log ons (annoying for HJ site!) and sites from the drop down in the address bar.

This happens using IE7 and Firefox - I'm using XP.

I have done a system restore and reinstalled all internet browsers and gone through preferences to accept and keep cookies, but still no joy.
Deletion of history and cookies and it's annoying! - Dynamic Dave
Have you got ccleaner (or something similar) installed?
Deletion of history and cookies and it's annoying! - Stuartli
>>Have you got ccleaner (or something similar) installed?>>

You actually have to run CCleaner to have any effect on History and Cookies, or anything else for that matter.

More likely that IE and Firefox have Delete temporary Internet files Enabled at end of session.

It's from the Privacy tab in Firefox (Tools>Options) and Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab>Empty Temporary Internet Files in IE6 or 7.

Edited by Stuartli on 03/05/2008 at 01:07

Deletion of history and cookies and it's annoying! - Dynamic Dave
You actually have to run CCleaner to have any effect

Not if you have the "run ccleaner when computer starts" option ticked in the settings.

However, having just re-read daveyjp's post, he mentions it happens when he exits IE or firefox, so ccleaners actions don't apply.
Deletion of history and cookies and it's annoying! - Stuartli
CCleaner is an excellent aid - especially useful after installing or uninstalling programs, applications etc with the Issues tab - but I would never let it operate under its own devices...:-)

Deletion of history and cookies and it's annoying! - daveyjp
The BRs come up trumps again. I did have CCleaner, removing this has stopped the issue.
Deletion of history and cookies and it's annoying! - J Bonington Jagworth
"I did have CCleaner"

Don't be too hard on it - it's a very useful program and normally has to be told to operate automatically (options/settings). It can also be told (options/cookies) which ones to keep, so it's easy to clean out only the carp you don't want (hence the first C in the name).
Unprompted 'clicking' - borasport20
On SWMBO's laptop (IE7, vista), if you leave the pointer over a link, after a few seconds, it automatically 'clicks' the link. Irritating, but it's her laptop and I put it down to Vista

I now have a new laptop, (IE7, XP) and its exhibiting the same behaviour, and seeing as I never could get the hang of controllong a pointer through one of those touchpads, its very irritating indeed - does anybody know where I can turn it off. ?
Unprompted 'clicking' - Pugugly
Pain in the whatsit My Vista laptop does it as did my XP one. I think it can be resolved in mouse properties in Control Panel.
Unprompted 'clicking' - Stuartli
seeing as I never could get the hang of controllong a pointer through one of those touchpads,>>

Why not buy a laptop corded or wireless mouse?

I find laptop rodents to be intensely annoying - not that I would ever buy one in the first place as I find the keyboards alone are a real irritant.
Unprompted 'clicking' - borasport20
Why not buy a laptop corded or wireless mouse?

I have one, thank you. But I am often in a position where it can't be used
Unprompted 'clicking' - PhilW
"But I am often in a position where it can't be used "
My mind is boggling ;-)