Speedo problem & Watchdog - Pete Mansell
The well known intermittent Focus1 speedo problem has often appeared in this forum and is usually cured by changing the speed sensor. However this week's Watchdog programme featured a speedo problem apparently caused by corrosion of the circuit board in the instrument cluster.

Is this the same problem? Is changing the sensor only a temporary cure, with the real answer to change the instrument cluster at great expense?

Pete
Speedo problem & Watchdog - b308
According to the programme only Mk 1 2003 models affected - I'd be tempted to use the WD40 cure and see what the outcome of their dig at Ford will produce....
Speedo problem & Watchdog - pmh
I only joined the program part way thro, but IIRC the expert was describing using WD40 as a contact cleaner. And then said it was only a temp fix!

They also said the problem was corosion of the PCB. I would be tempted to do the job properly. Clean PCB with a solvent cleaner and then seal using a PCB lacquer. Then find out why it was coroding.

Speedo problem & Watchdog - b308
I was only looking at the WD as a temporary fix - with any luck they will have then embarrased Ford into a cheap proper fix!

As I don't own a 2003 Mk1 Focus, its all accademic, though! Just a suggestion to those that do!!
Speedo problem & Watchdog - Saltrampen
I like the way the program said WD40 was a cheap fix - it is, if you can remove the instrument cluster yourself..but is it that easy to get out? Some cars it can take an hour, others 5 minutes. What about disconnecting the battery and do you risk loosing the mileage reading?
Must be temptation for some "bad" garages to now treat with WD40 and charge for a full cluster....make sure you mark the old one...
A "do not change or remove the cluster yourself unless you are confident you know what you are doing" statement may have helped or did I miss this? Most on this site probably could do it, but some non mechanically minded owners maybe tempted now to go at it with WD40 or even squirt WD40 up from underneath.

Speedo problem & Watchdog - Honest
I've had a few problems with my Focus (51 plate Zetec) and have only just read these threads. Could anyone help / advise me of what to do next please?

1. Driving home and started to feel loss of power in the engine, like it was going to cut out. Finally, the management light came on so I took it to the garage, who did a diagnostics on it. It was identified as a cylinder misfire and the garage fitted a new coil pack.

2. Although prior to this my speedo dropped to zero, and in low gears the Focus seemed to 'jump' slightly, it never cut out and no lights came on. After the coil pack was fitted, the management, battery and oil lights came on and the car cut out completely.

3. Had another diagnostic report on the car and it has come up with the speed sensor needing to be replaced.

However, I now think that this may not be the root of the problem; do I need to replace the instrument cluster instead?

Do you think that the coil pack was not needed? Did the coil pack cause greater problems, i.e. engine cutting out (as this didn't happen before the coil pack was replaced)?

Many thanks.
Speedo problem & Watchdog - willow
Hi Peter, you are exhibiting exactly the same symptoms as I had on my Focus 1.6 Zetec 2002 model. I took my vehicle along to my local Ford dealer who immediately diagnosed the problem as a speedo sensor. The unit was duly replaced and now my car is just fine. Instrument cluster replacements are not needed on vehicles over 2001. Hope this puts your mind at rest.

Regards Willow
Speedo problem & Watchdog - Sam1981

I've had a few problems with my Focus (51 plate Zetec) and have only just read these threads. Could anyone help / advise me of what to do next please? 1. Driving home and started to feel loss of power in the engine, like it was going to cut out. Finally, the management light came on so I took it to the garage, who did a diagnostics on it. It was identified as a cylinder misfire and the garage fitted a new coil pack. 2. Although prior to this my speedo dropped to zero, and in low gears the Focus seemed to 'jump' slightly, it never cut out and no lights came on. After the coil pack was fitted, the management, battery and oil lights came on and the car cut out completely. 3. Had another diagnostic report on the car and it has come up with the speed sensor needing to be replaced. However, I now think that this may not be the root of the problem; do I need to replace the instrument cluster instead? Do you think that the coil pack was not needed? Did the coil pack cause greater problems, i.e. engine cutting out (as this didn't happen before the coil pack was replaced)? Many thanks.

Hi, this problem you've described is identical in every way to what I am currently experiencing with my 51 reg focus (1.6 zetec). I regularly see the speedo and mileage readout stop functioning while driving along and sometimes at the same time the volume on the stereo jumps up and down and the engine feels like it's lurching. It seems like a general electrical problem, so a simple and cheap fix that would solve all of these in one hit would be fantastic!

Another problem I've had is that the fan speed selector switch only works in position 4, where positions 1-3 do nothing. I've had a resistor replaced once to fix this but in less than 6 months it had gone again. This tells me there's a different problem elsewhere that's causing things to short out and malfunction.

Do you think all these problems could be fixed by simply pulling out the instrument cluster and giving it a clean up and resoldering the joints?

Cheers.

Speedo problem & Watchdog - cattman
Hi

Did you fix your problem and what was it please?

My Daughter has 51 Focus Zetec 1.6 . She says the speedo drops to zero mainly at Motorway speed and it appears the stereo loses volume when this happens, so your symptoms but w/o the lurching.

I will ask her to check for the other things that might be associated with either Cluster connector or Speed sensor, I suspect there are ways to diagnose which of the two likely causes it is - if you have the ciruit diagram and know the car.

For example how on earth could the radio volume be associated with the speed sensor, that sounds much more like a bad connection in a multi way connector...

The speed sensor would cause everything that depends on its signal to fail, must include speedo but also ECU which must in turn cause power loss, etc.

Other ideas welcome, the stuff here is bit vague and its can't be that hard for someone who knows what they are doing???
Speedo problem & Watchdog - elliott83

Hi cattman,

Sorry, I see it's been three years now but it woul be great if you could let me know what was your solution. I got a 2001 Mk1 Focus and experiencing the same problems. When it first appeared 2 months ago I had the speed sensor replaced and it solved the problem but it is back again and the guys in my garage can't find the problem, checked the speed sensor again, managed to get a new instrument cluster as well, checked the cables etc. but the problem is still there. Not measuring miles or speed. Even took it to a car electrician, he couldn't find anything, tied some loose connections that's all.

The guys in my local garage told me that in the gearbox there is another sensor or plate which might need to be replaced!? Is that right?

Let me know if you managed to find a solution besides changing the speed sensor and the instrument cluster.

Thanks!

Speedo problem & Watchdog - lorenzo.gu

Hi elliott83,

the same for me, I see that the thread is almost abandoned, but I try anyway, cause I have the same problem on my MK1. Speedo and km display on and off, radio volume follow the problem. Did you solve this and how? I'm still looking for a solution.

Thank you!

Speedo problem & Watchdog - Roly93
We had a problem with our 53 plate Focus, which manifested itself as the ABS light blinking sporadically. Just as I was about to embark on a set of ABS system troubleshooting, I read that this may be actually instrument-cluster related.

When I took the cluster out, which is very easy to do, there was some white fluffy corrosion on some of the PCB soldering. I removed this with electrical contact/PCB cleaner and the problems is now gone. This issue had been going on since we had the snow in the winter, and I was blaming it on a possible wheel sensor problem.

Do not use WD 40 to do this job, as WD40 is slightly greasy and is not realy designed for this type of work. Xylene or Isopropyl alcohol would also do the job well.
Speedo problem & Watchdog - SlidingPillar

Absolutly. Any 'expert' who recommends WD40 for this is not an expert.