car by car breakdown - Jonathan {p}
Dear HJ

I have just read your updated comments on the mazda mx6. You state that "Timing belt failure means disaster and replacing the belt is expensive".

As far as I understand (and I own one) the engine for this car (and probe) is a non interference engine so even if the timing belt does snap, it shouldn't cause any damage to the pistons or valves.

This may be contrary to mazda's official line, but please feel free to check on www.mx6.com

By the way, I got a full service and a cam belt change for less than £300, so the belt change should cost no more than £150 at a reputable non franchise garage.

Regards

Jonathan
car by car breakdown - M.M
Jonathan,

No HJ is right, the trade timing belt books give this engine as an interference type** (in the Probe as well). The change interval is 60K.

There are no special tools required but the job is involved and booked at 3hrs(the Proble nearly 4hrs due to a different installation). At main dealer rates, with a new tensioner and guide roller, you might expect the job to be near £300.

Your £300 bill with a service was very good value, as long as you are satisfied with the quality of the belt change that was a good deal.

**That doesn't mean some folks might not have got away with a damage free breakage but you can't rely on it if advising owners.

David W
car by car breakdown - lezebre
On the subject of Japanese coupés, DW, how's that hurriedly bought Honda Prelude that you look after shaping up?