07 335d First service with a 6 cyl diesel - jimf1912
My 335d has done 11,000 miles and is now approaching 10 months old. The service indicator malarkey in the dash suggests that the first service is due in May 2009, when the car will be almost 24 months old. As it uses next to no oil (never been topped up), I was thinking that this is infeasibly long.

Anyone have any advice, was thinking of getting my local independent to perform an oil change, without resetting the service indicator.

Edited by Pugugly on 31/03/2008 at 21:31

07 335d First service with a 6 cyl diesel - Pugugly
I wouldn't personally. BMW refused point blank to change oil at intervals outside the service indication.....

What do you reckon to that motor though ?
07 335d First service with a 6 cyl diesel - jimf1912
Sorry for the delay Pugugly, been away from home last few days.

Spoke to my dealer, and they have confirmed (without prompting) that the 335d will indeed go 20-24,000 miles before its first service, on the fully synthetic oil it uses. Maybe I'm too old school, I keep thinking 12,000 or a year is long enough.

As for the engine itself, I think its thrilling, much more responsive than the 330Ci petrol lump it replaced. The car itself is great, the only disappointment has been 31-32mpg indicated, but a small price to pay for what is a really well sorted car. My journeys are mainly rush hour, though, on a long run I get 37-39. Just one thing, after a year of ownership it doen't quite feel as charismatic as the old car, maybe its just the missing noise.

As for quality, I'd read on a few forums about some issues with the E92, mine though has been faultless, right down to the slightest rattle or imperfection being absent.

It even used no oil, my first ever BMW not to.