2002, 2.0TDCi hatchback retrofit reverse sensors. - Grandadboilersuit
Hi folks!
I am considering fitting some reversing sensors on my car and would appreciate any feedback from others who may have done this. I prefer the type that fit into the bumper rather than those that just clip underneath. Would anyone know if it is necessary or advisable to remove the bumper to do the work, or met with any other complications. I have seen some that have been fitted into the rubber bumper insert and wonder if that could have been an aftermarket fit. Any thoughts on this guys? Furthermore, there seems to be a wide variety of models and prices, but does paying more get you more I wonder. I think I prefer the type that has an audible signal only over those that have a dashboard display.
Many thanks, David.

Edited by Pugugly on 26/03/2008 at 21:51

2002, 2.0TDCi hatchback retrofit reverse sensors. - paul19
Hi mate, while i cant help you with a mondeo, i did fit some to an 06 focus. The ones i used were veba Avrs1. While you say you prefer just just the audible only type, the ones i fitted have a led display showing the distance to the object. I too was of the same opinion and wasn't keen on mounting a display on the dash, but in the end i did and to be honest its realy very good, especially when your on you own in the car and the radios a bit loulder than normal, now I use the display every time and am glad i fitted it.

Not sure about the mondeo but the focus has a plastic trim running the length of the bumper. i was able to get underneith and pop it out saving removing the bumper. That said i did look into what was involved in removing the bumper and al seemed straight forward and easy enough.

most sensor kits come with a hole saw the right size so once they are fitted in the bumper its only a matter of getting the wires to the reverse light an an earth.

The veba Avrs 1 sensors cost about £50 and work perfectly each time, im glad i didn't buy the ford clear vision (or something like that) about 3 times the price. the trickiest part was getting the wires up to the dash for the display, but if the mondeos anything like the focus most panels pop of easily.

cheers
paul
2002, 2.0TDCi hatchback retrofit reverse sensors. - drivewell
I think Autoexpress have an article on aftermarket reversing sensors this week. Probably worth a read.