03 SE TDI 130 Alarm - apb
After locking the car with either the remote or the key in the door, after about 2 minutes the alarm starts with no obvious reason. The first time I unlocked it remotely and re locked it - no problem. The second time last night it took 2 goes to get it to not go off. This morning it would not cooperate. I have tried opening and closing the doors, windows, boot etc in case a sensor has not connected - no luck. Any ideas welcome before I have to resort to a VW dealer!
03 SE TDI 130 Alarm - richbev
Have you checked the pin switch under the bonner. It could be damaged.
03 SE TDI 130 Alarm - captaincarwash
apb,

Did you find the fault in the end? I too have an 03 TDI 130 (estate) which has developed an alarm fault and I would be interested to know how you got on.

My alarm never goes off when I lock the car with the remote. It can go off many hours later or perhaps an hour later. I thought it might be the battery losing power and I've just replaced it but it's made little, probably no, difference. The car has sat on the drive out of use for two days and been fine. Then this afternoon I opened the tailgate to get something out and closed it again. A little over an hour later the alarm went off for no reason. I drove the car this evening and just over an hour after parking it again the alarm went off once more. My best guess at the moment would be that it's something to do with the damp that we've had recently. Perhaps rain has got to the tailgate switch while it was open last week while I was working nearby, and one of the alarm contacts has corroded. Still difficult to understand why it can take hours or days to become a problem though.

Is there a diagnostic computer that could tell where the fault is if one had access to it I wonder?

Thanks for any help.

Steve K
03 SE TDI 130 Alarm - captaincarwash
Just to complete the story, from a search in the archived messages there would appear to be two sources of false alarm common to this model of Passat.

One would be that the rear wash-wipe is leaking onto the tailgate switch. I prised the trim off the bottom of the tailgate but did not get very far, it's not at all obvious how it comes off despite removal of the two crosshead screws at the top. However, peering in with a torch revealed no sign of dampness.

The second cause is water leaking into the passenger footwell where the electronics are situated. I did have a few leaves under the corner of the bonnet but not sufficient to block the drainage and cause water to enter the footwell. However, the carpet was damp on inspection and I dried it out with a fan heater, over a couple of days to make sure everything around was fully dry too.

This was over a week ago and I've had no false alarms since then.

Steve K