2004 - stereo switches itself on - jimster
hi i have a 2004 astra and the radio keeps turning itself on wether the key is on, off or locked up overnight, please can anyone help as i am getting fed up with jump starting it
many thanks jim

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/03/2008 at 19:06

2004 vauxhall astra radio switches itself on - SpamCan61 {P}
I know this isn't much help but I'm sure this problem has come up before, try an archive search; from memory Vx. were swapping the radios under warranty.
2004 vauxhall astra radio switches itself on - Victorbox
"i am getting fed up with jump starting it" ... particularly odd fault as most, if not all VX radio/CD's turn themselves off after one hour of use with the ignition off. We are assuming it is an original fitment radio.
2004 vauxhall astra radio switches itself on - topbloke
there is a known problem with these radios, we have been swapping them under warranty, its a fault with the software within the radio and/or a fault with the cd switch internally, your radio/vehicle is out of warrenty, you could approach vauxhall through your dealer to see if they will help towards the cost, but dont hold your breath
2004 vauxhall astra radio switches itself on - Dynamic Dave
or a fault with the cd switch internally

Pretty sure I've read elsewhere that if the CD drawer is empty, the fault is more likely to occur.

jimster, do you leave a CD in the stereo or not when it's switched off?
2004 - stereo switches itself on - John S
They may be exchanging radios, but one wonders if the replacements are better. My wife's week old Vauxhall with a CD30 MP3 is exhibiting similar problems. Turn the radio off before switching the engine off and it insists on switching the radio on as the engine is started. It appears that the voltage pulse of the starter triggers the radio. The charm school drop-out at service reception completely misunderstood the problem and insisted that 'that's how the new Vauxhall radios work' and went on about the 'ignition logic' system, which I well understand having owned Vauxhauls for years (and have another with the same radio which works perfectly). It's going in on Friday, so I shall be checking exactly what she's entered on the computer. Hopes are not high.

JS

Edited by John S on 25/03/2008 at 19:32

2004 - stereo switches itself on - Victorbox
Not a fault at all I'm afraid. My 2006 Zafira does the same. All my previous Vauxhalls I've owned worked that if radio was on when engine switched off, it switched on at next startup - when radio was off at engine off, then it didn't!
Latest ones don't do that unless you un-programme the "ignition logic" from the radio using the instructions in the manual. Then you just turn radio on & off from the radio power switch. This is what the dealer will probably do when you send it in & as it isn't covered under warranty, very likely charge you for the work.
2004 - stereo switches itself on - Dynamic Dave
My 2006 Zafira does the same.

As does my 2006 Vectra. CanBUS networks, don't ya just love 'em.
DD - About the only thing on the car that drives me mad! Obviously it's not the pulse of the starter motor causing a fault as the radio will come on just by turning ignition key so dash warning lights are on without even trying the starter.
Not a fault? As I said my other Vauxhall - Radio on when ignition switched off, radio comes on when it's switched on again. Radio off when I switch off ignition, radio stays off when I switch on again. That's what I expected. I don't expect it to come on with starter (and it is when the engine cranks, not just ignition on) whatever state it was in when switched off. In my view that's not right. To judge by the other posts, it's not uncommon. Yes, I understand the 'ignition logic' and that's not what I want, that's just disguising the fault. There will be some discussion when it goes in on Friday. One things certain, I'm not paying them to change the ignition logic.

JS
You may not like the way the radio works but there is nothing for the dealer to "fix" as most, if not all modern Vauxhalls do it by design - short of disconnecting the ignition from the radio option by the couple of steps it describes in the owners manual, which you can do yourself.
John S's stereo appears only to come on when starting the engine, not by just turning the ignition on though. That doesn't sound right to me.
Victorbox

So, what you're saying is - Vauxhall radios are intended to switch on every time the ignition is switched on, or, in the case of my car when it's started up, even if the radio was switched off before the ignition was turned off? Sorry, I don't believe it is right - and the same radio in my year old Astra doesn't do it. I susect there's a problem and Vx and the dealers are not admitting it.

JS
JS - I guess that is what I'm saying (Dynamic Dave agrees his radio does the same), but if you get anything different at the dealer on Friday both of us would love to know how it's done. You can see from my earlier post it drives me mad too! Oh for the simplicity of a Cavalier SC303 radio/cassette!!
Dynamic Dave agrees his radio does the same.

Yep, comes on everytime the ignition key is turned to the 2nd position (when the dash lights come on), regardless that I have turned the stereo off manually beforehand.

Doesn't bother me though.

I can't recall if my previous 2004 Vectra did it as well.
2004 - stereo switches itself on - SpamCan61 {P}
I've just downloaded the manual for the NCDCR series from the vauxhall website, this states that with autoactivation switched on, then if the radio is left on when the ignition is switched off, it should come back on with the ignition. If autoactivation is off then it will need switching back on manually. This implies that if the radio is switched off before the ignition is switched off it shouldn't come back on with the ignition. I think.
Right, I'm back from the dealer. Some answers, but no resolution I'm afraid. Initially the dealer did the 'they all do that' routine, and offered to take off the 'ignition logic'. Didn't want that as I do want it to switch off when I turn off the ignition. I demonstrated on my '07 Astra that it behaves exactly how I wanted - radio stays off if it's been switched off before taking out the key. This came as a bit of a shock to the dealer, but to be fair he then offered to check some vehicles in the showroom, plus an 05 plate Astra in the workshop. All had one version or the other of the CD30 MP3 radio. We found that whilst the majority always turn the radio back on, some, like mine, don't. It's perhaps not related to the version of the CD30 either. There was CD30 like mine that 'wouldn't stay off' and another that behaved like mine. Small sample but all 3 of the version with the '4-way' button at the bottom always switched on. So, I guess it's driving more than one person mad. Never heard of this before the introduction of the current radios. Dealer accepts I have a valid point, hasn't a clue if it's possible to change it, but has promised to 'raise the question with Vauxhall'. Given the number of radios that appear to do this, he's not hopeful. So guys, that's where it stands. The word 'random' comes to mind. Mine has definitely come on only when you actually crank the engine, but oddly today it was coming on immediately the ignition was activated, so I still wonder if it's an elecronic response to a voltage spike.

JS
Interesting stuff JS.

I'm wondering if there is another setting buried away somewhere that requires accessing via a Tech2 reader?

The cars in question are all Full CanBUS networked and their stereo's are all married up to the car and become part and parcel of the cars electronics. Should anyone steal them without first divorcing them and putting back into delivery mode so that they can then be married up to another Vauxhall, they become expensive door stops.

Not sure about the CD30 stereo's but I've heard that the CD70 (sat nav headunit) can have a graphic equalizer enabled with a tech2 reader. Also cars without fuel computers, but with the BC button on the stereo can also be enabled with tech2.
DD

Yes, I understand the stereo is an integral part of the electronics and that several 'tricks' are possible with Tech2. Why these features are not enabled as standard is anyone's guess. The dealer did say he wondered if there was some hidden setting on the radios, but it seems odd that they don't seem to come out of the factory with a standard setting. Their electronics guy didn't know if the radios could be modified. I may try a letter to Vx customer services if the dealer doesn't come up with anything.

JS

Edited by John S on 28/03/2008 at 22:17

2004 - stereo switches itself on - grazan
Hi Jimster , also have a 2004 Astra , had the RAC out 3 times now , new battery , nutty radio comes on when it feels like it , going into vauxhaul but i know they will charge a fortune , they want £65 just to look at it , did you get to the end of the problem ?????? many thanks , look forward to your reply , Z
Read recently on another forum that Vauxhall have a new batch of CD30's (I think that was the model stereo) to replace any faulty ones with. Not sure if this is only for cars still under warranty though.
Meant to take it into dealer today but they want £ 65 just to look at it , so i cancelled that , just popped fuse for now , VX Cs called said they cant help unless i take it to dealer first , they have got you really , oh and i did write to watchdog , so if they get enough complaints they may investigate 4 us , is there no solution ? apart from new radio or no radio ?
they want £ 65 just to look at it

This charge *should* be refunded if there is a genuine fault.
well im not convinced , i know they will either say cant find fault or want 2 charge silly amount , im going keep onto VX but wont hold my breath , in mean time no radio ,
2004 - stereo switches itself on - neil63
did you solve this problem ? .......as i also have a 2004 astra that does this

Edited by Webmaster on 20/05/2008 at 00:09

2004 - stereo switches itself on - roosterbooster
leave a cd in the unit cheap and permanent fix
2004 - stereo switches itself on - garysped
Trawled around and a known issue :
www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1...5

Lots of people have sent the CD player back to this guy off ebay and have returned good feedback, will be doing mine shortly!
shop.ebay.co.uk/cat-essex01/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&...=

Also read here :
www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1...1

Crux = dealers know its a fault so ask them for Technical Bulletin 1979 describing the symptoms and resolution. Vauxhall know its a fault, but as not affecting safety, won't issue a recall via DVLA = SUCKS!!!

Thanks all on this board too for starting it all off :) - shame on you Vauxhall!
2004 - stereo switches itself on - HonestGav

Roosterbooster is right, i only started experiencing strange behaviour with my 2006 astras head unit when I didn't have a CD in the unit. And a few days of jump starting my car because the radio would be playing by itself and drain the battery. It's really frustrating not knowing why its doing this stupid thing, so fortunately I read this thread and when I read the CD in unit I realized I only started having this problem after taking out the last disk!Thanks for the posts!

Edited by HonestGav on 17/01/2019 at 08:11

2004 - stereo switches itself on - HonestGav

Thanks. This works.

2004 - stereo switches itself on - aaron t

i know its probably too late now but i have a plot twist for all of you, i have a 2010 astra van and the battery kept dying on me and i was having to jump it/ charge it up.. alternator is charging and battery is recently new as it was "dying" all of the time..anyway today i heard music randomly playing today and thought it was the neighbours... it happened 4/5 times througout the day for maybe 5 minutes ish at a time.. anyway i went to get something out of my van,unlocked it... all was normal... opened the drivers door and the radio came on without going near the ignition or radio, now heres the plot twist... its an aftermarket pioneer avh 290 thats been fitted in... and this is the first time ive actualy known it to come on(that being said its usualy on the bluetooth setting and not the radio as it was today, so i wouldn't hear it until sent music to play) , the van has been randomly dying for 18 months now and im glad i know where to look... and yes it is getting an inline switch on the power supply as im bored of charging it up ??

Edited by aaron t on 22/01/2022 at 19:15