Motorbike Oil change?? - Chrome
Can anyone here help settle a lively discussion between me and a friend. He has a 1986 BMW K100 motorbike (dry clutch like a car) which he purchased second hand 3 years ago, to this day he has not changed the oil, the seller told him that it was fully synthetic and good for 10k miles. As my friend has yet to do 10k he reckons the oil does not need changing. I say it does, and this should be at least once per year. Which of us is right here?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/03/2008 at 13:39

Oil change?? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I owned a K75. Did under 3k per annum. Changed the engine oil and filter every year .
Changed the various transmission oils every two years. Full synthetic is usually not needed for BMW bikes anyway and may encourage increased oil consumption.
Moisture gets into the engine oil with temperature cycling in the garage shed and the anti corrosion additives become ineffective over time . Petrol dilutes the oil. Oil changes allow a good look see and you may spot incipient problems. If you love a bike you should pamper it.The cost and effort are not great.

The manual is more rigorous about oil changes, demanding them every 6 months AFAIK.

Oil change?? - FotheringtonThomas
I agree with you.
Oil change?? - mss1tw
Your friend is an idiot.
Oil change?? - ForumNeedsModerating
Presumably, still on original tyres too? After 22 years? I wouldn't accept that pillion ride if offered. I had a K100RS of similar vintage (first 1984 model) - not to change the oil on a high-revving 4 cylinder liquid cooled engine (or any maintenance - coolant/brake fluid/shaft/final drive etc.) seems madness to me.
Oil change?? - martint123
Wrecking the engine for the sake of a few quids worth of oil.

I've got a bike with an air colled engine and recommended oil change interval is 2000 miles, filter at 4000.
This probably is for old mineral stuff. I use semi-synth and still change is at 2k.

Oil change?? - Chrome
Err I agree, I will mention these replies when I next speak to him. He originally asked me for advice re changing the oil 2 yrs ago & I said change it! But I don't think this was the answer he wanted to hear so he asked a few other people until he got the answer he wanted (apparantly from an oil company 'rep' in a bike shop). Talk about head in the sand. Anyway thanks for the input, I for one will not be buying a vehicle off him - ever.
Oil change?? - jc2
Bring back two-strokes!My GT500A used less oil than the equivalent four stroke with it's frequent oil/filter changes.
Oil change?? - pendulum
What can you do? You know an oil change interval is measured by a mileage OR a time, whichever comes first. We all know that. I thought it was common knowledge, but obviously not to him. Between 6 months and a year is sensible for an oil change. Three years and counting is just stupid.

Edited by pendulum on 21/03/2008 at 08:24

Oil change?? - DP
an oil change interval is measured by a mileage OR a time, whichever comes first.

Some motorcycle manufacturers (Kawasaki being one) do not stipulate a time interval for servicing, only mileage. As a lot of bikes only do a couple of thousand miles a year, I know of a few which have had the same oil in for 2-3 years. Strictly speaking, this is still complying with manufacturers requirements.

Of course whether this is sensible or not is another question. My own view is that annual oil changes if the mileage is not reached is the best approach. It's something you can do in the garage over the winter period.

Cheers
DP