2001/Y 1.8 TDdi Knocking sound from front of car - Pootle
Any ideas what could be causing a slight knocking sound that seems to be coming from the front of the car (sounds like the drivers side). It only seems to be happening at low speed (30mph) and disappears at a higher speed. Any ideas, anyone?

Many thanks,

Pootle
2001/Y 1.8 TDdi Knocking sound from front of car - Peter D
You've run a pedestrian over and he's jammed under the bumper and tapping on the floor to get you to stop. At high speed he's too damn scared to let go with one hand. Regards Peter
2001/Y 1.8 TDdi Knocking sound from front of car - oldnotbold
Could be a wheel bearing, or the CV joint. Is it particularly noisy when you turn the steering wheel?
@ oldnotbold - it makes the sound regardless of turning/going straight on, so it's hard to nail down exactly when it happens apart from it disappearing at speed.
Oh, OK I think I need to specify things a bit more?

@ Peter - That gave me a good laugh, I think you've put quite a bit of thought into that one!

It's an odd problem because I can't see anything loose or problem-looking under the bonnet, is it a sign of possible suspension problems - would failing bushes etc. make a knocking sound?

I'm afraid I'm not too technical, I'm trying to get an idea of possible solutions before taking it in to the garage and want to try and make sure they don't pull the wool.

I'm pretty sure there's no pedestrians/animals etc. jammed under the front though...
2001/Y 1.8 TDdi Knocking sound from front of car - oldnotbold
Is it speed-related - does it get louder/faster with speed?
2001/Y 1.8 TDdi Knocking sound from front of car - Whisky
does it happen when going over bumps or does it happen all time, i.e flat smooth road?
It's intermittent, at slow speeds (at or sub 30mph) it's audible. Not particularly loudly, but it's there. It seems to be happen when going over slight bumps on the road surface which made me think suspension immediately. Just wondered, because there are so many Focus owners out there, if anyone has come across this before.

Many thanks

Pootle
2001/Y 1.8 TDdi Knocking sound from front of car - Screwloose

Anti-roll bar drop links are, apparently, a common cause of such noises.
2001/Y 1.8 TDdi Knocking sound from front of car - Alby Back
A mystery clunk on my car was eventually traced to the door pins. Bit of grease....sorted.
2001/Y 1.8 TDdi Knocking sound from front of car - AndyT
What Screwloose says. I replaced mine last year for the same reason.

If you turn the steering to full lock, you'll see the vertical rod at the rear of the driveshaft, about 8" long with a little ball joint at each end. You will probably be able to feel a bit of play in the one which is rattling.
2001/Y 1.8 TDdi Knocking sound from front of car - Peter D
No it's been a strange day with over 25 capital gains tax inquiries due to the rules changing on the 6th of April. My reply was instant and only after I completed it did I laugh a lot. We need of description of this noise and it's relationship to speed to help you. You have checked under the front bumper haven't you. Regards Peter
2001/Y 1.8 TDdi Knocking sound from front of car - telecaster
Had the same problem.....changed both anti roll bar links to no avail.

Turned out to be inner tie rod!