1996 1.9 TD, Heater are cold or poor heat - kristianc4
my heaters are rubbish, if i turn them off for a while then turn them on they will b hot for a few seconds and go cold, i tried bleeding the system and nothing,

water is going through the radiator orite and doesnt overheat, but another problem tha i find strange is that my temp gaugh always on about 70 degrees C and a maximum of 80 when i high rev or stationary.

can anyone help with my heaters to try and sort them out.

thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/03/2008 at 12:22

1996 1.9 TD, Heater are cold or poor heat - Peter.N.
Sounds as though your heater matrix could be clogged. Try disconnecting the hoses and flushing it through in both directions with a hose pipe.
1996 1.9 TD, Heater are cold or poor heat - dieselnut
Had a similar problem with sons ZX 1.9TD.

I flushed everything & made sure there were no air locks. It made little difference, so I too concluded the heater matrix was obstructed.
I bought some Forte Cooling System flush which is only available from some garages.
It smelt like Sulfuric Acid, so if you do use it make sure you follow the instructions carefully & flush out the whole cooling system afterwards.
It did flush out further corosion & the heater improved by 100% but is still nowhere near as efficient as our own ZX, but will save the horrendous job of changing the matrix.

You also mention the temp guage at only 70. It should be running at 90 when up to temperature.
This will obviously not be helping a good heater output.
Perhaps your thermostat needs changing or your temp guage is incorrect.
1996 1.9 TD, Heater are cold or poor heat - robroy
Hi Dieselnut - I too have a 306 D-Turbo[1997] owned from new- to cut a long story short, I have recently had problems with 'my coolant' - only last week I had the thermostat replaced by garage, and notwithstanding that I too was of the opinion that the 306 ran at 90, I was informed that it ran at 82, and was shown the original thermostat with 82 stamped on the underside,- my temperature gauge is now indicating 82....would appreciate your comments. Cheers.
1996 1.9 TD, Heater are cold or poor heat - dieselnut
Hi robroy, sorry for the delay but been busy for the last week.
I think you are correct at 82 for the TD, non turbo engine is higher I think, 88 or 89.
I have an old non turbo ZX just for local pootering & usually registers around 90.
1996 1.9 TD, Heater are cold or poor heat - DL
My 1996 N Reg 306 D Turbo runs at 80 deg on the gauge, even after a genuine thermostat was fitted when I did the head gasket.

I'd echo that the TD models seem to run a lower thermostat rating - 82 seems about right. I should have looked on the waxstat part to see if there was a rating on it.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....