Taking out a learner - adam f
My brother has bought a car but has not yet passed his test. He has insured the car on a provisional basis. I have been driving for almost 4 years.
Can i take him out in it (he will be driving) on learner plates on the insurance he has got? or do i have to be insured on that car as well?
Taking out a learner - deepwith
www.helpingldrivers.com/law/supervisor.htm
thank you for that - most helpfull
Taking out a learner - commerdriver
Dont know if it's a legal requirement but I have always had an extra rear view mirror on the windscreen as well
Taking out a learner - jmaccyd
Indeed, and a good early lesson on the emergency stop so that you can be sure that they can cope with a real situation on the road.
Taking out a learner - Robin Reliant
Indeed and a good early lesson on the emergency stop so that you can be
sure that they can cope with a real situation on the road.

I wouldn't agree with that. I used to leave the emergency stop till a few lessons before the test. One of the big problems with learner drivers is that they tend to over-react, and if you put emphasis on the stop too early in the lessons they are likely to become brake happy with the inevitable result.

Better to be very vigilant so you are ready with a verbal instruction when you see a situation that might develop into an emergency if ignored.
Taking out a learner - jmaccyd
Of course clear instruction on the purpose and use of the emergency stop is required, but in a car not fitted with dual controls, I would not want my first emergency stop practise to be little Billy running out from behind the ice cream van. Occasionally as an ADI I was asked to teach people in their own car, without the security of dual controls, one of the earlist things I would cover would be the emergency stop
Taking out a learner - Cliff Pope
For a moment I felt a surge of anticipatory road rage coming on when I read the thread title, but then I remembered that in my old crate I don't "take out" anybody. Anyway it's unfair and cheating to pick on learners.
Taking out a learner - helicopter
I really enjoyed taking helicopter jr out for a practice when he was a learner 10 years ago - it was a real bonding experience.

Evenings we would drive around locally and practice the usual manouevres in the roads used by the local test centre which was literally within 50 metres of where we lived at the time.

Sundays were the best though with a full day trip organised down to the coast , Brighton , Worthing or Bognor with him getting experience on major A roads and the byways of Sussex with a spot of lunch at a pub ( no alcohol ) and perhaps a stop off at a friends or relatives house.

Well worth the time and effort.
Taking out a learner - normd2
IMHO - the first couple of times you take him out YOU drive to somewhere very quiet (I use a disused airfield access road) and spend time just getting him used to the feel of the clutch, the brakes and the steering; start off with start/stops, then gearchanges, then add a little turn working up to circles, elongated ovals and figure-of-eights, then do it all again backwards. It may sound OTT but a couple of hours spent getting used to the basics with no-one else around will pay-off in the long run. And the other thing, after two or three lessons watch out, he may relax a little and suddenly find he can't do it simply because it's not second nature yet - that's when you find out how patient you are. :)
Taking out a learner - Peter D
Remember !!! As the instructor YOU are responsible for your actions as if you were in fact the driver. Use a mobile phone whilst instructing, 3 points and £60 remove your seat let £FPN, drink form a bottle fined. Drunk, Banned. Regards Peter
Taking out a learner - Big Bad Dave
I believe that taking out a learner is something peculiar to the UK, you certainly can't in Poland and some other Central and Eastern European countries that I'm aware of. My friends are actually shocked to learn that almost anyone can accompany a learner on a British road, I think some of them still don't believe me. In fact in Poland you can't take to the road until you've spent x number of hours driving around a coned course on some industrial estate - which beggars belief how they end up to be so bad at parking.

Any ideas about the rest of the world?
well the good thing for me is he has already had a number of lessons with an instructor. i think now he has bought a car, he just wants to have a few hours driving it around