2000 2.0 HDI With Zero acceleration - Car = Problems = loads of cash
Hi, I have a Peugeot 306 hdi 2000. Just wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions (apart from scrapping my car!) I'll start from the beginning and try to put as much info as possible. I started the car up one day and it was fine, then drove it 10 meters slowly in a car park and the engine tone changed. I put my foot down to accelerate and it had no power then the ecu warning light came on.

It starts and revs when stopped perfectly. It is only when the engine is under any load it just won't rev. It is like the throttle is only open a little or it's not getting any fuel. So I took it to a local garage and he checked the code and said it was the throttle position sensor. I changed that (£70 Peugeot) and it had no change. So i took it back to my local garage to check again but he didn't want to look at it (the nice man, NOT). I took it to another local garage who checked the code again and he said it was the throttle position sensor circuit two. I have already changed that though, so he wasn't sure but guessed that it might be the maf - which i thought it may have been to start with - so I also changed that but still no difference.

Three months ago I changed the fuel and air filters. I don't know if it is a coincidence but, the same week I did that I noticed that I had a very small lack of power at speed, as if it wouldn't accelerate any more but this was not a big problem because it didn't do it all the time. Since the ecu light has come on the car has become very erractic. Most of the time it won't accelerate with my foot to the floor and then all of a sudden it just shoots off and accelerates perfectly, then it stops accelerating and the revs drop down again and then back up again - you get my drift? I have changed the filters again just to make sure it wasn't them. I really don't want to take the car to Peugeot as for them just to look at it is going to cost me the earth!

Some suggestions and help would be very much appreciated, I'm thinking its electrical but at the same time it could be a fuel problem, low pressure pump? If I take that out can the filter be cleaned or is it a sealed unit? If it's an electrical fault where do i begin looking?

Thanks, alec.
2000 2.0 HDI With Zero acceleration - adverse camber
Did you change the fuel filter housing or just the filter itself?

I now little (ie nothing) about it but I've seen comments that it is very easy to get dirt in the fuel line with £££ results

Edited by adverse camber on 07/03/2008 at 16:39

2000 2.0 HDI With Zero acceleration - 659FBE
Could you describe to us just how you changed the fuel filter? Did you take the lid off the plastic "pot" first and then pull the element out?

Thanks for the replies, what i did exactly is took the 2 "T" piece pipes off first. Then removed the top cover of the fuel filter and snapped one of the "T" pipes off the lid. i got another one from a scrap yard and thoroughly cleaned it before i used it. Then replaced the filter and put the lid back on. I can't see how and dirt could have got into it as i kept everything very clean. By some small chance if dirt got into it is it possible to flush it? And would this throw up an ecu error?

2000 2.0 HDI With Zero acceleration - Screwloose
Alchol

The size of contaminants needed to block HDi injectors is 2 microns - how's your eyesight?

That filter lid contains a pressure regulator; stop wrecking your car with rubbish bits, get a new filter housing, complete with element, from the dealers and fit it. That's the only safe way to change the filters on these - and a lot cheaper than complete new fuel systems....

The APP sensor code [P0121/122/221/222?] is a well-known problem; it's not the MAF that needed changing, it was the MAF earth-wires modification that needs doing. Where did that replacement MAF come from?

Edited by Screwloose on 07/03/2008 at 22:17

Hi Screwloose thanks for your post.

I forgot to mention that i changed the filters originally 3 months ago but I'll get a new housing on Monday because i don't think it was clean down to 2um. I got the MAF off ebay only because I didn't know 100% if it was the MAF that was wrong so I just wanted to try another one to see if it changed anything, if it did I would have bought a new one from dealer.

In your post you say "it's not the MAF that needed changing, it was the MAF earh-wires modification that needs doing" What did you mean by this? Are you saying that I have a doggy earth somewhere or that it's a modification for the MAF's earth wires?

It would make a lot of sense if the MAF was earthing somewhere intermittently beacause the car is going from perfect to rubbish all the time. Mostly rubbish :(

2000 2.0 HDI With Zero acceleration - Screwloose

Any "Genuine Bosch" MAF off e-bay will be a useless fake - refit the original, they rarely fail. [One of these days, I'll test an e-bay MAF that is to spec - one of them must be, just on the law of averages....]

There is a widely-known wiring mod that Peugeot developed to [try and] stop false APP sensor codes. It involves identifying the two earth wires from the MAF, cutting them off from the common return and extending them to a sound earth. This is a false code mod though and shouldn't affect the running.