RAC, AA or Green Flag? - andrew_rs
Looking for breakdown cover for a 2006 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Auto I have just purchased.
Which of the main three get the most votes?
Green Flag is the cheapest, I have used the AA and had excellent and terrible experiences.
No experience of RAC.

Thanks
Andrew
P.S Car is Network Q car, surprised they do not supply a 12month breakdown service? Just warranty.
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - Pugugly
Have you tried Tesco's Recovery they use one of the big names and are consistently cheaper.
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - Pugugly
They're offering 30% discount online as we speak. Green Flag backed.
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - deepwith
Norwich Union - about £50 for max full recovery, home start and so on - have some of their own vans otherwise you get an RAC man. Don't have to have their insurance.
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - BobbyG
Sure its not covered under Manaufacturer breakdown cover? I am having to look for cover as well as my Skoda is just turning 3 years old - but it was covered by the AA for that 3 years!

2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0TDI Stylance
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - andrew_rs
Thanks for replies, will take a look at the Tesco/Green Flag option.
Also found quidco give £20 cashback for Greenflag so might work out even cheaper that way!
Will also double check cover with car but I did ask and they did initially say it was only warranty - in this case balance of 3 years, and no breakdown cover.
I know this was how it was with my renault, but I could get extra AA for 3 years if I wanted.

Andrew
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - spikeyhead {p}
I've been with green flag for years after bad experiences with the other two.

No problems with gf on the couple of occasions that I've actually had to sue their services.

When I bought the Porsche a few months ago I phoned up to insure it and they offered me breakdown cover at too high a price. When I told them it was too much they instantly found a significant and worthwhile discount. I really should read the paperwork to find out who its with.
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - Clk Sec
Why not look at Norwich Union? Their prices are very reasonable.

Clk Sec
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - jdc
The Norwich Union breakdown product is actually the RAC.

As you probably know, Aviva own Norwich Union who in turn own RAC.

The NU breakdown product was originally brought in by NU as it was envisaged it could take over the whole RAC product and gradually replace all the orange vans with it's own branded vehicles.

The concept never really took off as the RAC brand was discovered to be far too powerful and iconic to be be replaced and now the NU vans are slowly being phased off the road.

Makes absolutely no difference to the service as it is has always been 100% RAC anyway - same contact centres, same dispatchers, same Patrol training etc. etc.

Cheers
jdc

RAC, AA or Green Flag? - jc2
Brittania Rescue?
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - jlo
If you shop at tesco's and collect clubcard vouchers then you can get a very cheap rac cover. www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/browse.aspx?N=4294967...g

Each 10 vouchers you have remember is worth 4 times its face values.

Cheers

Jlo
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - nick
Try Autoaid, my renewal is £35. You pay the recovery driver and claim it back. It covers the driver not the car so you're covered whatever your're driving. I've used them a couple of times over the years and found them excellent. Have a look on moneysavingexpert.com for comparisons.

Edited by nick on 02/03/2008 at 09:53

Most companies offer the driver cover option and some will cover the car if you're only a passenger in it.
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - ajsdoc
I'll second autoaid. Keenly priced, excellent service but is "pay then claim" - not a problem if you've a credit card (used twice by me cheque always comes by return of post).
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - Clk Sec
>>Autoaid

I think I'll be checking this one out come next renewal.

Clk Sec
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - deepwith
Change Banks to the Halifax enhanced current account and they throw in RAC membership for any car you are travelling in - just been reading all the bumpf on this.
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - doctorchris
Another advantage to Autoaid, which is provided by Boncaster in Essex, is that your premium covers you and your spouse if you have one, driving any eligible vehicle.
Not really the choice for the driver of a poorly maintained banger but perfect for those running modern, well-maintained cars who want peace of mind.
We have just renewed and the premium was £34 for the year.
Have you been in a Halifax branch recently??
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - Dynamic Dave
Sure its not covered under Manaufacturer breakdown cover?

NetworkQ used to include breakdown cover, but now it they charge an additional fee to have breakdown cover included. Starting at £39 for roadside assistance.
RAC, AA or Green Flag? - TrevL
Agree with AutoAid posts above. First class service from them in the past.