1996 1.4 - gunge around oil cap - shirike
Hello,

I've performed my fortnightly oil and water check today and noticed my coolant was right down - not enough to set off a warning light but it must've been blooming close to it. Anyway, when I opened up the oil cap I noticed a fair build up of creamy gunge clinging to the bottom of the cap with a little bit on the inside of where I put the oil (dunno the proper term for it!) - I know enough to know that this gunge can be a fairly bad sign.

I've done a few googles and various things have been mentioned.

1. With my coolant being so low, would this mean the temperature of the engine would've been higher than normal and therefore caused the gunge?
2. The dipstick shows clear normal-looking oil - before and after a journey sufficient to heat the engine up.
3. Most of my journeys are around 12-15 miles long (basically to and from work or to the cinema and back) - I've heard mention that short journey's can sometimes cause this but 12-15 miles is more than enough to get my temperature gauge to its usual leve.
4. The temp gauge has not deviated from it's usual position once the engine has been running - the car doesn't appear to get hotter more qujickly etc.

I'm assuming the recent very frosty weather has resulted in the coolant being used up so quickly? I've checked under the car and there isn't any fluids leaking apart from an oily build up under the gearbox (it's always been like that for as long as I've had the car).

5. There's been mention that a faulty rocker cap can cause the gunge - what is a rocker cap!? Is is the actual oil cap? Would a new one resolve it?
1996 1.4 - gunge around oil cap - Chris S
Check the coolant again - if it's clean you're OK, if it's got oil or 'mayonaise' floating on top then the headgasket has probably gone.
1996 1.4 - gunge around oil cap - shirike
Coolant is totally clean and pink.
1996 1.4 - gunge around oil cap - mrmender
My polo 1.4 (1996 Model too) is the same uses no water at all cleaned out breather pipes and its improved but not totaly clear...... Basicaly don't worry!
1996 1.4 - gunge around oil cap - oilrag
Its likely the recent very cold weather, take it for a long run then change oil and filter.

Or you could just ignore it ;)

Regards