2004 (N16) 1.5 - what's my squeak? - girlydriver
I've (well, the car has) developed a squeak which appears to be from the nearside, I can't work out if it's front or rear (OH swears it's offside rear though!!).

The squeak is only audible above 20mph up to about 50mph. Wind noise prevents me from working out if it's still there above that!

Presumably it's wheel-related, it sounds as if it's constant and in time with wheel rotation.

Bearing in mind that I'm not really technical by any nature, my first worry was that it's a wheel bearing. How would I know / check for this? I doubt it could be suspension because it's also audible on a flat road (then again, I drop to under 20mph when going over bumps!!)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and if there's a cost involved I think I need to be prepared; so if any guesses can be put in place........ that'd be ace too.
2004 (N16) 1.5 - what's my squeak? - zookeeper
jack the nearside back wheel up , then grab the wheel at the 9 oclock - 3 oclock position with your hands and try to pull push the wheel if there is any movement (even the slightest) the bearing has probably shot it, £60- 80 should sort it .. oh release the hand brake but chock the other wheels and put it in gear

Edited by zookeeper on 27/02/2008 at 18:47

2004 (N16) 1.5 - what's my squeak? - girlydriver
Thank you. Thought I'd pop back to update.

Did have a bit of a wiggle this morning, no movement at all so hopped down to my local (well respected) independent place to get it checked out.

Turns out that it was the discs after all that; the pads had worn down and there was a bit of damage to the discs as a result. I had an inkling that they needed changing soon so it was no great shock. Things are all quiet again. Thanks for the advice!