1999 2litre cougar, new head gasket? - sevie t

I bought a ford cougar and within a day the engine packed in due to a
burst waterpipe. (was ripped off). A local garage has advised a
replacement or reconditioned engine rather than new head gaskett etc as he is sure the insides will be roasted.
They have quoted around £1000 complete of parts and labour. Whats the
thoughts around this? will it really need a new engine? should i go
for a breakers or a reconditioned and why not Heathrow engines as
previously discussed.
1999 2litre cougar, new head gasket? - DP
I don't know how badly it overheated, but it's not unheard of for an engine to survive. It depends on the circumstances and how quickly you noticed and switched the engine off.

The only way to tell is to fix the leak, refill it with coolant to the correct antifreeze concentration, and run it / drive it with frequent checks for overheating and further coolant loss. There are quick, simple tests that can be done (with the right equipment) to find out if the head gasket is leaking too including a cooling system pressure test, and a "sniffer" test to look for combustion gases in the header tank.

It is ridiculous to even suggest replacing an engine before this has been done, unless of course it got so hot it seized???? Even if the head gasket has gone, it's worth taking the head off and making a logical assessment from there based on findings rather than assumption. Condemning an engine should be a last resort, not a first step.

These engines are the same as used in the Mondeo, and are fairly easy to track down in breakers, often with at least some form of warranty. This would be my preferred route on a car worth a couple of grand.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 24/02/2008 at 23:13

Thanks DP,
It is in fact my sons car which he bought in a private sale. it ran for 1 hour in total after he bought it!!
The garage have advised a new H/G and are reluctant to investigate further. Not sure of the tests they have run. They havent mentioned a seized engine however the car stopped dead and wouldnt turn over. The garage suggested this was due to a sensor valve? that prevents the engine from turning over if there is no coolant in the system. This is seemingly a mondeo feature. I am a bit nieve regarding cars and dont want my son to be ripped off further... so am being very cautious on his behalf.
1999 2litre cougar, new head gasket? - Screwloose

A sensor/valve that stops it cranking if the coolant is low? Can't say that I've come across that one before? Maybe a second opinion?
yep def sounds like it cheers mate will do that
1999 2litre cougar, new head gasket? - Waino
Later on today, I hope to pick my Mondeo up after a head-gasket job and I'll report back re: cost etc on this thread - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=60...2 (I hope the link works properly)
1999 2litre cougar, new head gasket? - SpamCan61 {P}
A sensor/valve that stops it cranking if the coolant is low? Can't say that I've
come across that one before? Maybe a second opinion?

More likely the garage is talking about a coolant tempertaure sensor, on the Omega the engine won't start ( can't remember if it stops it cranking ) if the ECU thinks the coolant temperature is too high, maybe the Cougar has the same system? I'd still go for a second opinion anyway.
Thanks to all who contributed. The cougar was removed and taken to another local garage. The engine was saved, head skimmed, gasket, belts / pipes connections renewed etc. Nothing wrong with the internals. The bill is £850, steep for a car that was run for only an hour but at least its back on the road. cheers guys.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/03/2008 at 00:35

1999 2litre cougar, new head gasket? - Galaxy
"should i go for a breakers or a reconditioned and why not Heathrow engines as
previously discussed"

I regret to have to say that I cannot make any statement about Heathrow Engines (or companies with very similar sounding names, found at the same location) because, if I did, I would be infringing the Honest John website naming and shaming policy.

However, you can take it from me that this fact speaks for itself!

1999 2litre cougar, new head gasket? - bathtub tom
Galaxy. How very tactful.

Are these the same companies that have had mentions on consumer affairs programmes I wonder?
1999 2litre cougar, new head gasket? - Screwloose
Are these the same companies that have had mentions on consumer affairs programmes I wonder?

I believe it's one of their main forms of advertizing....
1999 2litre cougar, new head gasket? - madf
Even I with my poor memory remind myself I'm glad I'm not a customer....