Astra Ecotec Cam Belt Failure Info - Chas{P}
Similar story to David W's job back in October 01.

Car lost power at 70 MPH/3000 RPM and ground to a halt. Belt and tensioners had been changed at 30K and car had now done 71K. It was due for a change but there was no noise whatsoever coming from that end of the engine.

Engine stripped - 16 valves bent, 6 Valve guides cracked and cosmetically marked pistons. There is no evidence of oil or coolant leaks in the cambelt area that could have contaminated the belt.

What caused the failure? The belt itself. Although I am replacing them anyway, the tensioners, water pump etc are all OK with no play or noise in them.

Point of the story is, like David W's job, these belts made by Gates for Vauxhall/Opel are suspect as well.

As the engine was running on the later modified parts it seems that the belts are letting go now instead.

Has anyone else experienced a similar scenario and, more importantly, did they get anywhere with Vauxhall?

Charles

Astra Ecotec Cam Belt Failure Info - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Reinforces my own preference for replacing belts at 36k/36months.
With this amount of top end damage I would be concerned about shock damage to the bottom end. It may be more cost effective to fit a VXPRO engine from Vauxhall. What kind of driving do you do? Motorway or stop start town and short journeys.
Astra Ecotec Cam Belt Failure Info - John S
Andrew

Would Vx take a damaged engine like this in exchange at normal price, or would they want an extra payment for the additional renovation costs?

Regards

John S
Astra Ecotec Cam Belt Failure Info - M.M
John,

Our local(ish) quality engine machine shop takes in units for exchange with this damage because it is the "standard" damage for this type of failure.

Their prices are geared to replacing all those bits anyway.

David W
Astra Ecotec Cam Belt Failure Info - Chas{P}
The type of motoring I do mainly is A road minimum of 20 miles each way to work. The reason for not replacing the whole engine is that the piston marking is very minor, almost scratches, rather than indentations.

After the rebuild I will get the guys to do an MOT emissions test, compression test and a coolant pressure test which should pick up on anything not quite right.

If anything significant does crop up after using this strategy I will keep you posted.

Regards

Charles