Agony Column 25 July 2015

Deals Of The Week

How To Drive Native Copym

Mot Files

Cfs Native

Native Subscribe5

Real Mpg Native

MoT advisory - advise please? - zookeeper
when you get an advisory at an MOT does that mean " get it put right or will fail it next time round" do MOT stations always look up your " previous " before they carry out your current MOT? reason i asked my misses motor will need an MOT in may and it has an advisory for corroded brake lines so i want to get them done pronto ....cheers

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 22/02/2008 at 19:53

Tags: owning MOT automatics classic cars

advisory advise please? - R75
I have never bothered with an advisory yet, and none of them have turned up on following MOT's, in fact in the most recent car I sold I was told over 14 months ago on an advisory that the CV boots were perished, yet it went through the next MOT without a single advisory even showing up!!!!

Also had a laguna that got one for a steering rack, that went through 2 more with no further mention!!!
advisory advise please? - AlastairW
Advisories are just that - advisory. For two MOT's running a main dealer 'advised' that the rear suspension bushes should be replaced as there was excessive, though within tolerance, play. I have since had the car MOT'd twice more at reliable independents, and neither has 'advised' anything.
advisory advise please? - martint123
Advisories are usually for something that isn't bad enough to fail now, but could deteriorate before the next MOT.
I've never seen a garage look at a history when doing an MOT.
Can you actually see your brake lines?. Corrosion can only get worse, not better, so I'd get them changed at some point.
advisory advise please? - zookeeper
are brake lines the flexible pipes that go to the calipres? from the fixed pipe work, i would of thought important systems on cars like brake pipes would be corrosion proof, in theory they could "pop" at any time with catastrophic results
advisory advise please? - henry k
>>Are brake lines the flexible pipes that go to the calipers? from the fixed pipe work
>>
The brake lines are the fixed "pipes".
The flexible tubes are "brake hoses".

>>I would of thought important systems on cars like brake pipes would be corrosion proof.
>>
Not so. E.G. The Mondeo II suffers from brake pipe corrosion in the section that goes over the fuel tank.
>>
in theory they could "pop" at any time with catastrophic results

In practice they can!!!
>>
>>...it has an advisory for corroded brake lines so I want to get them done pronto
>>
I hope the above info changes "pronto" into pronto pronto.
MoT advisory - advise please? - FotheringtonThomas
my misses motor will need an MOT in may and it has an advisory for
corroded brake lines so i want to get them done pronto ....cheers

I might be tempted to give the brake pipes a once-over soonish, as they've had 9 months or so to corrode further - with all this flippin' ghastly salt all over the place, too - the advisory basically means "noteworthy, but not bad enough to fail right now". Corroded brake pipes might lead to a reduced turning circle, you see...
MoT advisory - advise please? - martint123
I'm aggrieved to say that my old Renault 5 failed on "brake pipe corrosion" the pipes are coated with a minor form of protection, but the problem bit was where it was held in place with plastic clips and there must have been a bit of movement and teh coating worn through.
It was in a very difficult place to see, never mind replace them. The garage quoted 50 quid to replace the iffy section, which on the face of it I should have taken them up on the offer as it was a tedious job and they would have given a free re-test.
MoT advisory - advise please? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I went to a local garage three years ago for an MOT. It failed on a split CV boot.
Various advisories like cracking other boot, brake pipes in poor condition and low brake fluid level. Car had been recently serviced by a main VW dealer so I was sceptical. Got the one gaiter replaced at £70 or so all in with the MOT.

Other gaiter was not done until 3 years later. Brake pipes were not mentioned at subsequent services or MOTs. And brake fluid was bang on the max. mark, which made me really suspicious.
I went to a different garage after that.

Join the discussion

Search

Buying Advice

Honest John's Newsletter

Connect with Honest John

Facebook YouTube