2005 - 1.9 TDI - Long ''spongy'' brake pedal - baffled mike
Since I had the car I have experienced this problem (now 20,000 miles). Various dealers have changed all 4 discs and pads (which strangely were all corroded on the outer inch of the swept area), new master cylinder, a change of brake fluid and several re-bleeds. They seem to have run out of ideas on how to solve it although one said ''they have all got it a bit,'' which is not true when compared to all the courtesy cars I have driven in the past 2 years. The brakes do work but is very disconcerting in an emergency and the pedal can be pumped to give a firm pedal at the top with excellent braking. They also say the ABS is working but I have not felt it cut in. Advice please. This message has been amended to include further detail.

{repeat question asked yesterday deleted, and the reply to it moved here}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/02/2008 at 16:32

Long ''spongy'' brake pedal - Screwloose

Sounds very like air trapped somewhere. Have they tried it with all hoses clamped?

It could be air in the ABS modulator, or a faulty modulator itself - possibly a leaky valve.
Long ''spongy'' brake pedal - topbloke
have heard of this problem before iirc it was traced back to the rear flex's brake pipes will see if i can find out and post a link
Long ''spongy'' brake pedal - topbloke
long read but maybe worth it www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic21616-1-1.aspx?Highl...f

hope it helps regards tb
Long ''spongy'' brake pedal - baffled mike
Many thanks to Screwloose and topbloke for all the advice and suggestions. I do appreciate all the trouble you have gone to. There does seem to be a common theme running through the replies.
The car is still under the 3 year guarantee and I must try and persuade the VW dealer to take up the suggestions and and act on it, but I expect to meet some opposition as if they were doing me a favour to humour me !
Long ''spongy'' brake pedal - Golfcaddy
Just found this excellent site and would like to post a warning for all Golf owners and technicians.
My April 2007 Golf TDI105 developed a hissing sound from around the brake servo at about 4000 miles. It also became very prone to stalling when moving off. The dealer replaced the brake servo.
After collection I noticed the brake pedal felt soft and took the vehicle back to the dealer whose service manager told me next day that the brakes had been bled and that I would get used to the different feel of the car. He told me it was not possible to adjust the servo for a shorter pedal movement as this unit is preset at the factory. He told me I would get used to the different feel of the pedal.
The brake pedal felt no different. In my previous diesel Golfs Mk IV and Mk V, and this car before the servo was changed, the brakes came on progressively when the pedal reached about 50mm of travel. This also applied to the Jetta which the dealer loaned me while my Golf was in the workshop.
After the servo was replaced the brake pedal engaged the brakes at about 50mm of travel, but then continued downwards for another 50mm or so. The pedal could be restored by pumping but still slipped downwards as though there was a leak. I performed an emergency stop from 70 mph, pushing as hard as I could. The braking performance was excellent but a split second after the car came to rest the brake pedal reached the limit stop. In other words the brakes worked, but there is no reserve in the pedal travel.
I then had the vehicle inspected by an independent motor engineer who confirmed that there was something wrong with the braking system.
I returned the car to the dealer with a formal letter saying that either the brakes were fixed or I would reject the car. After about a week the dealer called and I returned to find the brakes were working properly.
An apologetic service manager told me that his technician had apparently failed to follow procedures. He said the Golf V had no bleed nipples at the callipers, the manual instructed that the brake system must be bled six times using the approved pressure bleed tool, and monitored by computer on the final bleed.
When this was done, the brake pedal was restored.
Maybe this post will save someone as much hassle as I have had. The car is OK otherwise apart from trim rattles but obviously VW has rested on its quality laurels far too long. We've had Golfs since the Mk 1, but next time we're buying Japanese.