Experience of Renault Clio Sport 197 - mattbod
Can anyone tell me if this is any good? I know I have to drive one myself but this car seems to split opinion with some mags raving about it and others saying that the engine is ridiculously peaky( and quesion the power output) and is hard work on the motorway. I don't really mind this as don't do too many long hauls. I currently run a koda Fabia VRS though which really kicks you in the back. I do miss working an engine though.

Also has Renault managed to sort out its patchy reliability record. I spoken around and it seems you either get a good one or a really terrible one. Also consiering a Mini Cooper S which will probably make more financial success. Think is the bespoke naure of the Renault Sports is Very mouthwatering. They are made in their own small factory apparently like much more expensive cars.
Experience of Renault Clio Sport 197 - cheddar
You will have to drive one, it will not have the low down punch of a diesel VRS though I dont reckon it would be as peaky as a Type-R, the 172/182 wasnt anyway.

How about a Megane 225, a year old perhaps where someine else has taken the depreciation hit?

Experience of Renault Clio Sport 197 - oldtoffee
67bhp is quite a difference between the two cars. The Clio will be a whole lot faster than the Fabia from zero to any speed and probably through the gears too but it won't be as punchy as the Fabia. Most road tests and comparisons rate the Clio as one the best drivers car but it is flawed in areas such as build quality, noise suppression, depreciation. It will out handle the Fabia (which isn't really set up for sporty handling - a heavy 1.9 diesel unit over the front wheels doesn't help.) I had a Fabia vRS and thought it great on long journeys, plenty of torque on the motorway and a relaxed cruiser. Off the motorway on twisty stuff it was fun but it's abilities were safe and limited. If you check out briskoda.net you'll see a lot of Fabia vRS owners spending their cash on uprated suspensions, Octavia 312mm disc conversions and ECU remaps. I'd expect the Clio to be much more entertaining and noticeably more expensive to own.

Experience of Renault Clio Sport 197 - nortones2
Driven the Clio Cup in the former model: probably lighter than the current car, making up for greater claimed power. Best handling I've ever experienced, and good feedback, surprisingly supple ride, indicating better sorted suspension for real roads than the Type R. Engine much pokier than Honda 2 litre: doesn't require 6000 rpm to get a move on. Low gearing, noisy, but its not sold as a boulevardiers transport.....

Edited by nortones2 on 15/02/2008 at 19:05