2001 Y 1.8 TDCi - Cambelt changes. - Pootle
Hi All,

I wondered whether anyone could shed some light on a diesel Focus 2001 1.8 TDCI - I'm unfamiliar with diesel engines, so I'd like to know whether the cambelt changes are similar to petrol models - does anyone know the mileage at which this should be done (I looked at a 1.6 Zetec a few weeks ago and this wasn't to be changed for 100k miles). The car we're looking at has 57k miles, am not sure whether the cambelt has been changed already. What kind of mileage is this engine capable of? In terms of servicing costs, what is the norm for an annual service on this model?

The car is tidy and seems to have been looked after, just wondered if there is anything especially to look for on this model?

Many thanks

P

Edited by Webmaster on 10/02/2008 at 12:13

2001 Y 1.8 TDCI - Pootle
Oh, by the way, Im not very mechanically minded by the way, just wary of buying a used car!

P
2001 Y 1.8 TDCI - Graemetdci
The timing belt change interval is also 100,000 miles or 10 years on the 1.8 TDCi. Ford Rapidfit can do the belt and tensioners etc for about £190 using the genuine parts required.

General servicing is no more expensive than the petrol models and works on a 2 minor (essentially oil change) services followed by a major service (inc. air fiter, pollen filter and a few other items) rotation every 12500 miles or annually. I found Rapidfit to be quick and cheap - last service on my TDCi Focus at 87500 miles cost me £99 with a £25 M&S voucher thrown in which I felt was very reasonable indeed.

Problems with this car have been related to dodgy fuel pumps and injector problems along with dual mass flywheel failures, problems which can cost an arm and a leg to fix. Make sure you know its history and ensure it has been serviced.

I would also make absolutely sure that it is definately the 115bhp TDCi and not the old direct injection 90bhp TDDi rebadged as a TDCi which I have seen. The TDCi came out in late 2001 and AFAIK only in the Mk 1 facelift (ie front indicators in the main headlight cluster, different rear bumper with a rubbing strip) but I could be wrong, but would be worth checking anyway.

I have now changed my car but it was a pleasure to drive - refined and powerful enough for my needs and returned up to 55mpg on long journeys or commutes, was generally cheap to maintain and insure although I did fall foul of the dreaded DMF failure (£1000+ to repair) and camshaft position sensor failure.

Hope this helps.
2001 Y 1.8 TDCI - Peter.N.
The TDDI is likely to be more reliable being non common rail, and cheaper to repair.
2001 Y 1.8 TDCI - cheddar
I am sure that on a Y plate it will be a TDDi, the TDCi was on facelift 51 plates onwards.

The TDCi is a lot more punchy and refined.

What ever is quoted I would never take a cambelt to 100k or 10 years.
2001 Y 1.8 TDCI - Pootle
Thankyou all for your replies.

I'm very sorry - I got it wrong - You're quite right, I've checked and it's a TDDi (It was down as a TDi - I didn't know there was anything other than a TDCi) it must be one of the last TDDi models - I've not tried a TDCi, but I found the TDDi to be rather quick. It sounds like a tractor when started so the refinement's not there, but we like the car. I took a 1.6 Zetec of similar age out for a test drive and although it's impressive, I felt that the engine seemed to plateau at about 70mph whereas the 1.8 TDDi felt that it still had some power there.

The car's for my wife - a family car to replace her Matiz. Compared to that, it's light years ahead - even if it's not the better of the two types of diesel engines in the 2001 Focus.

The service history seems OK - the belt has been done around 20k miles ago, although it seemed to be the belt alone, so I'm keen to get the whole assembly renewed (ie. pulleys, tensioner etc., my Dad always told me to get the lot renewed at the same time).

In terms of price, is the Ford rapidfit of £190 that was quoted for the TDCi similar in cost to the same job on the TDDi?
2001 Y 1.8 TDCI - Graemetdci
As has already been said above, although the TDCi is more powerful and refined, there is less to go wrong with the TDDi and they generally seem to be very reliable.

As for the Rapidfit price for timing belt change, that was the price it cost me to replace the belt, tensioners etc on my TDCi which I got done at 80000 miles. I'm sure the price for the TDDi would be very similar or identical as the engines are essentially the same bar the fuelling systems.
2001 Y 1.8 TDCI - DP
I put 100,000 miles (well, actually 99,something) on a 2002 TDDi estate in three years. Never had to top up the oil between services, never failed to start or left me stranded, and only needed an auxiliary belt tensioner outside of scheduled servicing.

As you say, they're a bit rough and ready, but performance is quite punchy where it counts, and only on an open road does it feel a bit underpowered.

This "Endura DI" engine is a development of the old "Endura DE" engine that's been around since the early 1990's and had it's one real reliability weakness - a failure-prone timing belt set-up - replaced with a much more sensible design. The DI is an absolutely bombproof engine, as was the DE, if you changed its timing belts at 40k.. The other major change the DI has over the DI is an electronically controlled high pressure pump which uses a "drive by wire" system of sensor and motor to link the throttle pedal to the engine, instead of a throttle cable. On some of the examples on our fleet, the sensor on the pedal failed, but this is an easy and cheap fix. Mine never missed a beat. It was still on its original timing belt when it went back (100k service coming up due), with no issues. This is a really short timing belt which only drives the cam, so doesn't have any other loads on it and seems to last. That said, time will also be a factor on a 2001 car (all these were just 3 yrs old)

The Focus as a car is also very impressive, and apart from road noise, and truly rubbish seats in the LX model, is very difficult to fault. Handles beautifully, rides well, solidly built, good looking (IMO) and capable of huge mileage if looked after well.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 11/02/2008 at 09:52

2001 Y 1.8 TDCI - trevoryz426
the focus is a good car no need to change the cambelt till its done 100000 miles or 10 years old , They never fail, things to look out for on a focus are rear trailing arm bushes split , mot failure costing you about £800 most of the rear suspension will need changing . Fuel pumps occaisionally fail (expensive) oil filters work there way loose because they are not fitted tight enough
2001 Y 1.8 TDCI - focus306
TDCI belts don't fail but its not uncommon for the tensioners to fail before 100K, and the result is the same, expensive!! Fuel pumps can fail and expensive but so too are the pumps on the TDDI. With the TDCI its the injectors that are more likely to fail, and can't be ultrasonically cleaned as the have solenoids in them. I read a quote somewhere that injectors are about £200 + £100 to recalibrate to the ECU, although I have not been quoted this directly and I did'nt quite undersatnd the excessive cost to recalibrate. I test drove a TDDI and thought it was fine, mind you I was upgrading from a 306 td so anything would be luxury :-)