02 1.6 petrol, burning smell - michaeljoe
December 2002 - 1.6 - Petrol
Hi there
I have been having some problems with my car lately. December I had problems with the engine coils so i got all these replaced (full 58000mile service too - even though car done only 49000miles). Then this month I had rear shockers replaced and also a new brake servo fitted.
All parts were new parts and work carried out by Renault dealer.

But now when I drive my car and get to where I am going there is a slight burning smell when I get out of the car. A friend said it could be the clutch????

What I wanted to know is could any of the recent work done to the car be causing this smell or is it more likely my friend is correct???

Thanks for the help!

Michael
Engine and year in subject line - how difficult is that to understand ?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 08/02/2008 at 21:53

02 1.6 petrol, burning smell - ChicksFan
Hello Michael,

Sorry to hear of your problems.

The smell of a burning (slipping) clutch is pretty distinctive - quite acrid.

If the fitter got oil or other fluids on the exhaust or on the engine when you had the recent work done then that good very well cause a smell as it gradually burns off when it gets hot.

I would give it a few weeks and see if it subsides. If it is the clutch on the way out you will know for certain before too long.

Are you sure that none of your brakes are hanging on? You should be able to tell: the smell would be from a wheel area, and the wheel would get warm.

Ron
02 1.6 petrol, burning smell - Screwloose
Michael

Could be a binding brake; feel the wheel hub temperature and have a sniff of each wheel.

[This may lead to colleagues thinking that you're cracking up; but....]