2005 - Faulty electrics - Kate C
The warranty runs out on my 3 year old car in March. We have had intermitent problems with the electrics: faulty temperature gauge which affects a/c; windows fail, central locking problems etc. The car has been returned to the Main Dealer under warranty and some of these problems appear to have been resolved through replacement of the door wiring looms. One problem remains however: sometimes when I take the key out of the ignition, the lights remain on and the central locking doesn't work.

I have been told that unless the problems presents itself whilst it is in the garage, they cannot resolve it.

The car was recently in for its 3 years service with an approved dealer who carried out a VIDA systems check and they discovered a possible internal failure of the drivers door actuator.

My question is, if this fault - that I have reported since Oct 06 - continues after the warranty period, are Volvo obliged to carry out the repairs free of charge?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/02/2008 at 23:50

2005 - Faulty electrics - doctorchris
I would imagine that they would be obliged to carry out a free repair but that it would involve a lot of argument and hassle. If a fault has been identified, you should probably insist on a repair now, before the end of the warranty period.
2005 - Faulty electrics - adverse camber
I agree.

Yes they should still carry the can after the warranty expires for pre-existing faults, but then you get into the 'this is a different (new) fault and not covered' argument.

You took it into a main dealer they saw a problem - get them to sort it out.
2005 - Faulty electrics - Archie35
Kate,

As already said, I agree that you should push Volvo now for a proper repair before the warranty expires. On the technical side, you'll find a lot more discussion on V50 faults/issues at:

www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Possibly (I haven't hunted) you might find someone else who has had this same problem and can help.

James