06 1.8 tdci temperature gauge erratic reading - Bryanc
I have this problem on my car. I have had the car looked at by my dealer who has tried to solve the problem but so far cant, Im told it is a software problem that Ford are trying to fix, it also causes rough running of the engine as well.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/02/2008 at 21:32

06 1.8 tdci temperature gauge erratic reading - paul19
Hi mate, am i glad to hear that this is in fact a problem and not a fob off by the dealer.

I have the same car, 06 1.8tdci and seem to have the same problem, no matter where in the range (never above normal) the guage is reading, either stop at lights then as i move off, go up hill or accelerate the temp guage will drop anywhere up to a quarter below where it was previously reading.

I took the technican out on a test drive and he saw it for himself, left in for a day and told theromstat was working corectly and the problem was due to a calibration issue between guage, temp sender and module.

told same ford are aware of problem and investigating a fix.
06 1.8 tdci temperature gauge erratic reading - 547HEW
On this model I think the temp gauge is driven from the CHT sensor.

If so, it would be a good idea to check the wiring and connections to it, prior to replacing the sensor itself.
Hi Paul,and thanks to all the others who replied to my post . Sadly I too am now having the problem that you are having, mine only started after the car had a new thermostat fitted and my dealer now wants to fit a new instrument cluster and is seeking permission to do this, I cannot see how the instrument cluster will cure this issue, as logically my instruments were working up untill the thermostat was fitted. I will now go to them armed with all the info that you all have given me many thanks to all of you, will keep you posted Bryan C.
Hi. to all, just to let you know my car is to get a new instrument cluster on the 1st of May so we will see if this fixes the problem, also I have contacted Ford customer service got a case no. and now I have someone chasing up the dealer as well as me.
Does anyone know of any 08 model year cars with the erratic temperature gauge problem? Thanks.
Many thanks for the update, just logged in for the first in a while, can i please ask you to keep us posted if it helps the problem, if so ford im sure will be getting a few calls asking for the fix to be applied

cheers

paul
Hi. to all just to let you know my car is to get a new
instrument cluster on the 1st of May so we will see if this fixes the
problem also I have contacted Ford customer service got a case no. and now I
have someone chasing up the dealer as well as me.
Does anyone know of any 08 model year cars with the erratic temperature gauge problem?
Thanks.

Hi Bryanc,

How did you get on with the new instrument cluster, did it do anything to resolve the erratic temp guage readings.

Cheers

Paul
Hi Paul.
Due to a mix up, the parts did not arrive at the dealer, but I have now had the new instrument cluster fitted and hey presto my temp read out is spot on, the guage now moves very soon after a cold start and full temp is reached within 5 miles, it stays steady as well just like my wife`s new Focus does. It would appear to me that the car was sold to me in a faulty condition as this is the first time since I bought the car last June, that the temp has climbed as quickly.

Hope it lasts ,I also think it has been worth contacting Ford customer service as they have kept in touch on regular basis both with myself and the dealer
06 1.8 tdci temperature gauge erratic reading - focussed??
thankfully i'm not alone. i bought my 07 9k 1.8 tdci a month ago and within a few days realised it had the same problem you all both have. i took it back to the dealer and they replace the temp sender. no luck and 2 days later they replaced the thermostat. still no luck. the car then spent a week with them and they were trying to get ford to let them replace the actual temp gauge cluster but ford have said no "as it's a problem with the software and nothing to do with the other parts". the dealer has told me that ford need to write a revision for the software but he doubts they will as it's expensive and not enough people have complained. ford themselves have said they will be writing a revision but they keep referring me to the dealer who insists they won't. i'm currently in the process of writing a letter to ford asking them not to refer me back to the dealer and asking them what they are going to do to fix it. i find it absolutely mind boggling that in this day and age with car technology as good as it is that ford can't get a temp gauge to show the correct reading. i am totally peed off with it. any help regarding where i stand legally would be much appreciated and in the mean time i think we should all contact/write to ford in order to push them to sort this issue.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/02/2008 at 00:10

Hi mate,

annoying i know, if your anything like me you will be watching the guage more than the road. if its any consolation, the problem isn't as bad or even noticable in slightly warmer weather. i have read that it was a problem on some mondeaos.

When i got my diagnosis from the dealer i didn't believe them and contacted ford customer services and was told they are working on a fix as more and the problem has only been identified.

My owns in next friday (7th march) for its service, ill be asking more about it and dependng upon the response i imagine ill be back on with ford customer service and asking for a case number to be raised

i'll let you know of the / any feedback next week

As a side point, do you have any problems somtimes engaging 1st gear. Mine can be occasionally difficult and have to ither to go into second then first or let the clutch out and back in. Again ive read this can be a "chacteristic" of the 1.8tdci

cheers
06 1.8 tdci temperature gauge erratic reading - focussed??
hello paul 19,
i do have the same problem engaging 1st but like you am informed it's just how they are. i also have become more involved in watching the temp gauge than the road. mine too is far worse in colder weather which is what i can't understand. i can't help but feel that this would point to a water temp problem i.e if the thermostat was letting water by from cold (start up) instead of when the desired temp is reached, then surely the needle going down would be the result. as you say in warmer weather it's not as bad. i have demonstrated to numerous people this theory by parking at the side of the road and then after a few minutes accelerating away (wind going through radiator) and hey presto the gauge drops. but saying this mine will also drop down towards cold when idling at traffic lights so it's a complete mistery. the latest on my issue is that ford customer relations dept have asked my local dealer to write to me to say that the problem will be fixed as soon as an update is available however no one can say when this will be or even that they have started to work on a fix. please kep me informed of your progress

cheers
hiya mate,

well car went into dealers yesterday for its service and before i left it i told them i wanted this problem sorted while it was there.

About 3 hrs later they said that the diagnostics had highlighted nothing and the ecu software was up to date, but they had managed to find a software update under a symptons menu?? (Apparently another more specific update menu under fault based areas) it was for an overtemping calibration issue. I remember before on the test drive with the mechanic when i first reported the problem him sayng there were known issues of the temp needle shooting into the red on some when going uphill, almost the opposite of our problem but had never seen it drop before as ours does.

As yet i haven't given the car a good run to see if theres any difference but certainly on the way home it never did it once but then it was heavy town driving after a long downhill motorway drive, so wasnt getting to drive off at any pace.

Ill keep you posted

paul
Update,

Nope, still the same, a phone call to ford customer services will be in order to ask when they will have a solution to this. As my car is now 2 yr old, likely chances are that it will be out of warrenty when next service is due so will not be anywhere near ford for a basic oil change.

paul
06 1.8 tdci temperature gauge erratic reading - bannil
Hi

Have you managed to get a fix for your faulty temperature gauge. I have had the same problem on my 06 focus 1.8tdci. It has been in to ford twice but they found no fault. They say it is acceptable for the temp gauge to fluctuate and will not replace any parts. After reading the comments on this thread i have comntacted Ford customer services. They tell me nobody else has complained about this fault.

My concern is that the warranty runs out in July 2009, so any work carried out after then will be at my cost.

Hi. bannil.

Yes I did eventually get it fixed, the cure was a new instrument cluster but only after I contacted Ford coustomer centre and enlisted their help. I strongly suggest you do the same thing, get a contact ref. no. from them, they will contact the dealer and liase between them and yourself, chase up the parts etc. I found them quite helpfull.

Unfortunately my problem looks to be returning as the temp gauge is starting to dive back towards cold during the warm up time but after the car has warmed up it stays fixed just before the middle of the gauge. the warm up time is still ok at approx 6 miles, less during the summer, mine was taking nearly 20 miles to warm up before the instrument cluster was changed it also had a new thermostat which actually made the issue worse. So I would suggest you point them in the instrument direction but they will have to thoroughly investigate it first because of the cost implications. As to the software issue it may well be that this is the case but dont hold your breath our cars are old models now and doubtless henry wont want to spend too much time/ effort on us in the present climate.

I will try to look at the as often as possible to see how you are getting on any other help I can give you I will Bryan C
06 1.8 tdci temperature gauge erratic reading - Ant32

Hi All,

Sorry to bump this thread. Having the same problems with the temp guage. Takes about 10 miles to get to warm but if the weather is cold as it is today then it will not get to full temp by the time i get to work (10 miles).

I have done long journeys of about an hour and then when I stop at a traffic lights or roundabout the guage will drop by half under acceleration.

Car is out of warranty (56 plate 1.8 TDCI) so does anyone know how much the cluster replacement is or is there any other work around? Presumably this will affect my mpg?

Ironically my fan heater dial this morning stopped working on settings 1 & 2 although 3 & 4 are fine.

Thanks

06 1.8 tdci temperature gauge erratic reading - dieselnut

It sounds like the thermostat is not closing off completely when closed.

If you drive from cold for a couple of miles, stop & check the radiator, it should still be cold but suspect it will be warm. If the rad is warm check the hoses going to the rad & find the one that's warm. I think this engine has 2 thermostats, one for the engine & one for the oil cooler. It seems usually to be the oil cooler stat that fails.