TF for tall(ish) driver? - daf
What is the MG TF like for tallish drivers? I have read that it is cramped, but am not sure how bad it is.
I am 6 ft 1 tall and pretty skinny. Any advice very welcome.

Edited by daf on 30/01/2008 at 21:20

MG TF for tall(ish) driver? - injection doc
Leave well alone! its basically a mini metro with an unreliable engine in the boot! they should of put a spare engine in the front to even out the weight & at least it could get you home when the headgasket went . A lot of TF's were exported to the far east & then shipped back & some bits are different! even the key fobs run a different frequency!
Consider an MX5.
Doc
MG TF for tall(ish) driver? - Blue {P}
To answer your actual question, you would really need to try one to be certain, I'm 5'10' and have no problems with my TF, it felt a little strange at first coming from a 3-Series but is fine now.

As for the other issue of reliability, some are a bit of a pain granted, but ny and large, they're a damn good car, will probably outhandle an MX5 any day of the week, they're better looking, cheaper and the engines don't go pop as often as people make out.

Go to www.mg-rover.org for the opinions of actual owners.

There's a thread somewhere that I started when I got my TF, I was asked to add to it every time the car went wrong, it's not much longer now than the day I started adding to it. :-)

MG TF for tall(ish) driver? - SteVee
It will be worth trying - at least the TF had an adjustable steering wheel, unlike the MG. You will probably still find the wheel is too low, and that your left leg is jammed against the console when your foot is on the left foot/clutch rest.

Headroom should be no problem.
The engine should be no problem on a TF - the worst were the early VVCs
MG TF for tall(ish) driver? - daveyjp
A colleague has just sold a house and went out and bought what she thought was a minter - 03 reg, headgasket been done (she was aware of this issue).

Took it out last Saturday and a hose went bang - coolant everywhere. She is waiting to hear from the garage if there is any long term damage.

Buy an MX5 instead.
MG TF for tall(ish) driver? - injection doc
"As for the other issue of reliability, some are a bit of a pain granted, but ny and large, they're a damn good car, will probably outhandle an MX5 any day of the week, they're better looking, cheaper and the engines don't go pop as often as people make out."

They probably go wrong more often than people make out! The K series engine was the killer, & the Tf was blighted with electrical problems, alarm & window faults, Rotting water pipes & unreliable VVT.
In appearence above average as for the rest ,well I spent years working on them so not for me under any circumstances.
MX5 any day.
MG TF for tall(ish) driver? - DP
We had an MX5 for 18 months and adored it. Beautifully made, didn't skip a beat despite spending most of its time in the upper half of the rev range, draught and drip free with the roof up, and a laugh a minute to drive. Had we not decided to start a family (or been rich enough to buy another car without selling it), we'd still have it now. One pair of rear tyres and one service in 18,000 hard driven miles.

It might not corner as fast as an MGF, but the MGF would really have to go some to be as involving or as flattering to a driver of even moderate skill. My grandmother could catch and hold a slide in an MX-5! Empty roundabouts are a joy that plasters a six foot wide grin on the face.

Cheers
DP