Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - lucyandneil
Ok, you may have seen my post a few days back regarding our position.

We're having our first baby in May, and are looking for a second car for Lucy to drive around while I'm at work. Lucy is a nervous driver, so size was important, basically, the smaller the better. We really want to buy from an Approved Used dealer, but this has drastically cut down our options, as the dealers don't like putting dodgy cars on their forecourts!

Out budget is now about £3500.

We have two options at the moment.

A Fiat Panda - 05 registration - £3,695 - 15k miles on the clock - Approved Used in Oxfordshire (We're in Swansea)

A Toyota Yaris - 02 registration - £3,500 ono - 15k miles on the clock - Private seller (Name down as a Mrs (married female = good!) - and they're local - Good condition, apparently, haven't seen it yet.

If they were both approved used, I'd go for the Yaris. If the seller is the only owner, she must have been driving round nice and gently for 5 years!

I'd like to know what you guys think.

Cheers

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/01/2008 at 19:16

Decisions, decisions.... - Happy Blue!
Neil if you have read anything on this board you will know by now that we do not like low mileage shopping trolleys. Yaris - almost six years old and 15,000 miles = 2,500miles pa. Far too low to get the engine oil up to temp. Avoid like the plague.

The Panda - a more modern design, 5,000 miles pa, some form of warranty and generally considered to be a good car by those in the Back Room who have one. Have a good look. I know which one I would have - it's this one.

Edited by Espada III {P} on 29/01/2008 at 18:56

Decisions, decisions.... - cheddar
I would probably go for the Panda, the Yaris in three years older and a friends 2000 model was not very reliable. Also 15k in 5 years is almost too low indicating lots of short journies without warming up properly. That being said our Clio had only done 4k in two years when we got it and it has been fine.

Decisions, decisions.... - jbif
almost six years old and 15,000 miles = 2,500miles pa. Far too low to get the engine oil up to temp. Avoid like the plague.

I know of one owner who has owned a VW from new since 1995, with 15,000 miles on the clock. Service & MOT yearly at VW dealer. Still in mint condition. No problems with engine yet.

I know of another owner who is the 2nd owner of a Vauxhall first registered in 1991/92. It has done 50,000 miles and is serviced once every 3 years! No problems at all ever.

Neither of the cars has ever been on motorways or dual carriageways. They have probably never reached 50mph in their whole life.

Edited by jbif on 29/01/2008 at 19:17

Decisions, decisions.... - lucyandneil
Don't confuse matters!!

:-)
Decisions, decisions.... - nick
I think the trick with Fiats as with Citroens is to buy new or nearly new and get rid when the warranty expires.
If the Yaris has been well maintained (with proper proof, not just a stamped book), I'd prefer it. HPI it though.
Decisions, decisions.... - Alby Back
I'd go with the Panda............it's just cooler.
Decisions, decisions.... - nick
Just wear shades so nobody recognises you and get the Yaris. :-)
Decisions, decisions.... - Nsar
This is going to sound awfully stuck in the mud, but it's a choice between Japanese and Italian reliability....and I like the Panda.

Our Yaris mainly does 4 miles to school and back twice a day (2 miles of which is along a heavily rutted farm track), didn't get its first service till it had done about 20,000 miles and hasn't put a foot wrong ever. It has about 45000 miles on it now after we had an au pair for two years who used to drive longish distances at the weekends. (which shows that miles per annum is no reliable indicator how many journeys a car makes to achieve those miles).

Yaris.

Decisions, decisions.... - cheddar
it's a choice between
Japanese and Italian reliability>>

As I said a friends Yaris has been problematic where our Clio has been great, of the two I would get the Panda though personally I would look at a Clio.
Decisions, decisions.... - Pendlebury
Personally I would check the service details on the yaris and make sure all the fluids have been changed recently.
I understand what people say about the lack of use but I would suggest it would still be more reliable than the fiat.
My brother did something similar with a scenic and a stream -(different makes I know but the point is the difference in reliability between european and jap brands) he bought the scenic for all the good reasons given above and his wife and kids were left stranded as it broke down no less than 5 times in a month for different issues.
The last thing I would want is to risk having my wife and kids stuck on the side of the road waiting for the breakdown recovery.
Check the toyota forums and also any reliability surveys etc and that may help with your decision.
Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - Clk Sec
Can?t say I?ve come across many people who have had serious problems with low mileage cars they?ve bought. Quite the opposite, in fact.

My choice would be the Yaris.

Clk Sec
Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - Billy Whizz
My folks bought a low mileage Punto off a lady owner - they consider it the worst car they've had in terms of reliability (previously 16 years of Citroens!). Engine has a nasty tappety sound that a respectable independant garage (who build rally cars and specials amongst other things) spent 3 or 4 hours investigating without success last week. (Charged only £3.50 though)
Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - peanut
I can't fault my Panda - brilliant car in every respect.

Peanut
Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - helicopter
SWMBO has a 1.3 Yaris on a 52 plate , 40 k on the clock and its a great little car. We have had no problems at all with this one save the normal tyres , brakes and servicing. Just seviced and MOT'ed for another year with no major problems.

You don't say what the Yaris engine size is , the 1 litre tends to be underpowered and struggles with any sort of loading , SWMBO had the 1.0 litre previously and we did have an issue with the clutch which was dealt with under Toyota warranty. Toyota reliability is usually top or neartop of any survey.

I have not driven the Pands but I like the look of them and the old Fiat issues of rust and unreliability have been largely eliminated - but it also depends on how good your local dealer is what sort of support you get if you have a problem.

I suppose it will come down to what Lucy likes - get her to drive them both and see.

If its a 1.3 engine, I'd go for the Yaris.
Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - Martin Wall
Well I would also take a look at www.euroncap.com - Panda 3 stars Yaris 4 stars

You could save a lot in a private sale but do an HPI check and get the seller to get the car MOT-ed as well and have a good poke about underneath to check for accident damage. Don't pay over the odds either way. Neither car is in short supply. Good luck!

Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - retgwte
you can get a brand new panda for 4850! (if you are happy with a base yellow one)

i would borrow the extra money on credit card if needed and just go for new

you will get the money back when u sell

cannot see the point of buying a second hand one when new ones are so cheap

Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - madf
I looked at both Panda and Yaris s/h 3 years ago. Decided on Yaris cos the Fiat dealers near us were amateurish AND the fit and finish of the Yaris were better. Also a Yaris has a nice slideable rear seat which makes it ideal for shopping.

No regrets since buying it. Nothing has gone wrong in nearly 2 years : it is now nearly 5 years old.

As far as low mileage cars are concerned: we own one: a Peugeot 106 diesel with 45k miles and 15 years old .. and youngest son bought another 106 1.1 petrol - 30k miles and 10 years old. Both have been immaculately mainatained (one by me from new:-) and apart from a crankshaft oil seal on son's which is due for replacement, largely trouble free.

We also considered ride over speed humps: the Yaris edged it.

But low mileage and maintained every 10k miles could be nogos but I've never seen one like that. Ours are oil changes etc every year irrespective of mileage. ete etc.

Condition is vital when buying s/h. After 3 years, build quality and service history win.

A 1.0 petrol Yaris is perfectly acceptable for round town: it may not accelerate fastest or go up hills quickly with 4 up... but these are irrelevances for day to day use. Ease of use, ease of parking, ease of entry and exit and storing/getting out shopping/children etc , reliability and cost win. IIRC the 1.0 Yaris is VED of £35: check the Panda is the same.

Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - madf
I should have added: if buying an alloy wheeled Yaris, watch for corrosion and bubbling on alloys. And for the locking wheel nuts to have the appropriate tool in the boot. (Ours did not and the nuts and tool were replaced by seller before we bought it).
Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - henry k
The V reg 65K 1.3 Yaris in our household has had one part, other than service items, replaced in four years ( a track rod bolt - £45 plus fitting ). Not even a bulb to date.
The radio / CD player has just developed an intermittent fault, otherwise no problems.
It has only done about 2K a year in our hands . Lots of 2/3 mile trips but does sometimes get a motorway blast.
If you are only doing short slow runs then I guess a 1.0 is OK but we went for a 1.3 after reading that the smaller engine was buzzy on motorway trips.
It has of course an upright driving position that some like.
Make sure you like the instument pod - many do not.

Edited by henry k on 29/01/2008 at 22:10

Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - seasiders rock
Am on my second Panda, brilliant little car. Go for the Eleganza, better kit and climate control.Also handles better, larger rubber. 14000 miles replaced 1 wiper and number plate bulb... No warranty issues at all.
Now have a 100 HP which is a different kettle of fish.
Decisions, decisions...Fiat Panda or Toyota Yaris? - bintang
I was tempted by the Panda but rejected it for the same reason I rejected the Grande Punto - the incredibly awkward left foot rest. Maybe it was just down to my size 11s jamming access to the clutch pedal. I had an excellent earlier Punto CVT, very lively and I am sorry I didn't keep it

t.